Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by…

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood (edition 2004)

by Marjane Satrapi

Member:Adam323
Title:Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood
Authors:Marjane Satrapi
Info:Pantheon (2004), Paperback, 160 pages

Persepolis I : The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi

autobiography (266) biography (177) childhood (71) comic (86) comics (240) coming of age (106) family (48) feminism (48) fiction (101) graphic (78) graphic novel (1,273) history (123) Iran (811) Iranian (40) Iranian Revolution (55) Islam (138) Islamic Revolution (93) memoir (567) Middle East (133) non-fiction (352) Persia (36) politics (73) read (103) religion (53) revolution (100) to-read (77) war (122) women (66) YA (35) young adult (43)
    Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (teelgee)
    Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman (Tjarda)
    Journey from the Land of No: A Girlhood Caught in Revolutionary Iran by Roya Hakakian (cransell)
    cransell: A complementary (non-graphic) look at growing up in Iran during the Revolution.
    Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Psychiatric Tales by Darryl Cunningham (vnovak)
    vnovak: In the introduction to Psychiatric Tales, Darryl Cunningham said that he was inspired to write it after reading Persepolis. They share a spare, black and white style and a empathetic view of difficult topics.
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Rabbi's Cat by Joann Sfar (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books show the effects of the Iranian Revolution of 1979 on Iranian families. The House of the Mosque shows its effect on a Muslim family whereas Persepolis shows its effect on a more secular family. Both authors are writing from their own experience… (more)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (jlparent)
    jlparent: Another wonderfully done graphic novel memoir about a difficult childhood.
    Epileptic by David B. (yabyak)
    Nylon Road: A Graphic Memoir of Coming of Age in Iran by Parsua Bashi (elvisettey)
    elvisettey: Another coming-of-age memoir in Iran.
    Forget Sorrow: An Ancestral Tale by Belle Yang (VaterOlsen)
    My Father's Notebook by Kader Abdolah (Tjarda)
    Die Birnen von Ribbeck by Friedrich Christian Delius (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Life at a personal level under various political regimes, told in an unconventional way.
    Blankets by Craig Thompson (Hibou8)
    The Heartbreak Diet: A Story of Family, Fidelity, and Starting Over by Thorina Rose (makaiju)
    makaiju: Another autobiographical graphic novel :-p that's a mouthful!
    Mostly Miniatures: An Introduction to Persian Painting by Oleg Grabar (Eustrabirbeonne)
    When I Was Puerto Rican by Esmeralda Santiago (jilld17)
    Memed, My Hawk by Yashar Kemal (Eustrabirbeonne)

English (224)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Japanese (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (229)
Liked it, very informative.. But a bit dull ( )
  AmandaEmma | Mar 26, 2014 |
I loved the book. It told me a lot about a country that I discovered I knew next to nothing about. I love the simple, powerful drawings, too. This is a story that will remain with me for a while.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/6484805/ ( )
  Moem | Mar 11, 2014 |
I think this book is significant for what might be infinite reasons, but I will just name a few of my favorite. First and foremost, I love that it is a story of Marji's youth, it is really important, especially in non-fiction, to show our students characters that could be them. Second, I love that it is a memoir in the format of a graphic novel. You are really taken into the story, it is easy to read, but it is still a pivotal text. Lastly, the portrayal of a real world outside our own is an indispensable lesson.
  biarias | Mar 7, 2014 |
Interesting Graphic Novel about growing up in Iran. ( )
  JK135 | Feb 24, 2014 |
Review coming soon. ( )
  LibStre | Feb 6, 2014 |
Satrapi’s style is almost primitive, consisting of flat figures with simple shapes and features. It’s more sophisticated than a child’s creations, but it superficially resembles them, an approach that supports the presentation of memories from that period of life.

Marjane Satrapi's ''Persepolis'' is the latest and one of the most delectable examples of a booming postmodern genre: autobiography by comic book.

Marjane Satrapiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aarne, TainaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
This is me when I was 10 years old. This was in 1980.
Ça, c'est moi quand j'avais dix ans.
EXCEPT FOR MY GRANDMOTHER I WAS OBVIOUSLY THE ONLY ONE WHO BELIEVED IN MYSELF.
IT WAS FUNNY TO SEE HOW MUCH MARX AND GOD LOOKED LIKE EACH OTHER. THOUGH MARX'S HAIR WAS A BIT CURLIER.
TO EACH HIS OWN WAY OF CALMING DOWN.
Persepolis was originally published in 4 volumes. Some later editions, especially in the U.S., combined volumes 1-2 into one work Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood; volumes 3-4 were combined into Persepolis: The Story of a Return. Keep this in mind when combining/separating.

This entry needs a bit of cleaning up, since this the French edition, which is the first of four (the amazon.com entry listed 76 pages, which is correct for the first of four volumes in French). However, many of the reviews contain material from later in the series, and the last words in English appear not to be the last words of the first of four volumes.

An intelligent and outspoken only child, Satrapi--the daughter of radical Marxists and the great-granddaughter of Iran's last emperor--bears witness to a childhood uniquely entwined with the history of her country. Originally published to wide critical acclaim in France, where it elicited comparisons to Art Spiegelman's Maus, Persepolis is Marjane Satrapi's wise, funny, and heartbreaking memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. In powerful black-and-white comic strip images, Satrapi tells the story of her life in Tehran from ages six to fourteen, years that saw the overthrow of the Shah's regime, the triumph of the Islamic Revolution, and the devastating effects of war with Iraq. The intelligent and outspoken only child of committed Marxists and the great-granddaughter of one of Iran's last emperors, Marjane bears witness to a childhood uniquely entwined with the history of her country. Persepolis paints an unforgettable portrait of daily life in Iran: of the bewildering contradictions between home life and public life and of the enormous toll repressive regimes exact on the individual spirit. Marjane's child's-eye-view of dethroned emperors, state-sanctioned whippings, and heroes of the revolution allows us to learn as she does the history of this fascinating country and of her own extraordinary family. Intensely personal, profoundly political, and wholly original, Persepolis is at once a story of growing up and a stunning reminder of the human cost of war and political repression. It shows how we carry on, through laughter and tears, in the face of absurdity. And, finally, it introduces us to an irresistible little girl with whom we cannot help but fall in love.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,577,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible