SantaThing sign up ends in 40 minutes (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by…

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood (edition 2004)

by Marjane Satrapi

Member:Adam323
Title:Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood
Authors:Marjane Satrapi
Info:Pantheon (2004), Paperback, 160 pages

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi

Recently added byKeelz09, Gordon.Edgar, LoriAnnK, private library, cshalizi, csoki637, mab8, davidmp, RobertPop, Brinlie.Jill.Searle
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (teelgee)
    Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman (Tjarda)
    Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Journey from the Land of No: A Girlhood Caught in Revolutionary Iran by Roya Hakakian (cransell)
    cransell: A complementary (non-graphic) look at growing up in Iran during the Revolution.
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Psychiatric Tales: Eleven Graphic Stories About Mental Illness by Darryl Cunningham (vnovak)
    vnovak: In the introduction to Psychiatric Tales, Darryl Cunningham said that he was inspired to write it after reading Persepolis. They share a spare, black and white style and a empathetic view of difficult topics.
    The Rabbi's Cat by Joann Sfar (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books show the effects of the Iranian Revolution of 1979 on Iranian families. The House of the Mosque shows its effect on a Muslim family whereas Persepolis shows its effect on a more secular family. Both authors are writing from their own experience… (more)
    Epileptic by David B. (yabyak)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (jlparent)
    jlparent: Another wonderfully done graphic novel memoir about a difficult childhood.
    Nylon Road: A Graphic Memoir of Coming of Age in Iran by Parsua Bashi (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: Another coming-of-age memoir in Iran.
    Forget Sorrow: An Ancestral Tale by Belle Yang (VaterOlsen)
    My Father's Notebook by Kader Abdolah (Tjarda)
    Blankets by Craig Thompson (Hibou8)
    The Arab of the Future by Riad Sattouf (TomCat14)
    Die Birnen von Ribbeck by Friedrich Christian Delius (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Life at a personal level under various political regimes, told in an unconventional way.
    The Heartbreak Diet: A Story of Family, Fidelity, and Starting Over by Thorina Rose (makaiju)
    makaiju: Another autobiographical graphic novel :-p that's a mouthful!
    When I Was Puerto Rican by Esmeralda Santiago (jilld17)
    Mostly Miniatures: An Introduction to Persian Painting by Oleg Grabar (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Memed, My Hawk by Yashar Kemal (Eustrabirbeonne)

English (261)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Japanese (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  English (269)
She had so much potential, just imagine if she had the oppurtunities that we have today. She would have been a really smart and beneficial person. ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
Marjane Satrapi's story of endurance is an inspiration to anyone that feels oppressed. memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. In powerful black-and-white comic strip images, Satrapi tells the story of her life in Tehran from ages six to fourteen. Persepolis paints an unforgettable portrait of daily life in Iran and of the bewildering contradictions between home life and public life. ( )
  Hnm113 | Oct 31, 2016 |
coming soon... ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
This book came out about a year before Persian Girls by Nahid Rachlin, another Iranian writer, a book I had the honor of editing. Rachlin's book is a memoir, not a graphic memoir, so there really is no good way to compare the two. However, I also read Alison Bechdel's astonishing graphic memoir, Fun House, so I think between the two, I can do a little compare and contrast. I love graphic memoirs, especially ones featuring intelligent women who were precocious girls living in challenging circumstances. I was completely taken in by Satrapi's characters--her mother's complexity shines through, her father's essential sweetness and challenged optimism, and, to my mind, most moving, her uncle's devotion to her, even as he was imprisoned. There was a lack of robustness--the narrative arc felt muddled to me. It was ultimately unsatisfying. I felt Satrapi could have made this slight book three times as long, perhaps going into some of the history of the region and even more about the Iran/Iraq War. I longed, too, for more nuanced portraits of her childhood friends and their different circumstances. I will absolutely read the second part of Persepolis. ( )
  bookofmoons | Sep 1, 2016 |
Wow.

I'll write a proper review on the second half. Which I'm not going to read tonight, because, oh the feels.

But suffice to say this is painfully good. And all the comparisons to Maus are dead on, except in some (actually many) ways, this is somehow more accessible to me. ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
Satrapi’s style is almost primitive, consisting of flat figures with simple shapes and features. It’s more sophisticated than a child’s creations, but it superficially resembles them, an approach that supports the presentation of memories from that period of life.

Marjane Satrapi's ''Persepolis'' is the latest and one of the most delectable examples of a booming postmodern genre: autobiography by comic book.

Marjane Satrapiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aarne, TainaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deluze, EveLetteringsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferris, BlakeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gasparini, GianluigiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merrien, CelineAdditional hand letteringsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ripa, MattiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sparagana, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
This is me when I was 10 years old. This was in 1980.
EXCEPT FOR MY GRANDMOTHER I WAS OBVIOUSLY THE ONLY ONE WHO BELIEVED IN MYSELF.
IT WAS FUNNY TO SEE HOW MUCH MARX AND GOD LOOKED LIKE EACH OTHER. THOUGH MARX'S HAIR WAS A BIT CURLIER.
TO EACH HIS OWN WAY OF CALMING DOWN.
Persepolis was originally published in 4 volumes. Some later editions, especially in the U.S., combined volumes 1-2 into one work Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood; volumes 3-4 were combined into Persepolis: The Story of a Return. Keep this in mind when combining/separating.

An intelligent and outspoken only child, Satrapi--the daughter of radical Marxists and the great-granddaughter of Iran's last emperor--bears witness to a childhood uniquely entwined with the history of her country. Originally published to wide critical acclaim in France, where it elicited comparisons to Art Spiegelman's Maus, Persepolis is Marjane Satrapi's wise, funny, and heartbreaking memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. In powerful black-and-white comic strip images, Satrapi tells the story of her life in Tehran from ages six to fourteen, years that saw the overthrow of the Shah's regime, the triumph of the Islamic Revolution, and the devastating effects of war with Iraq. The intelligent and outspoken only child of committed Marxists and the great-granddaughter of one of Iran's last emperors, Marjane bears witness to a childhood uniquely entwined with the history of her country. Persepolis paints an unforgettable portrait of daily life in Iran: of the bewildering contradictions between home life and public life and of the enormous toll repressive regimes exact on the individual spirit. Marjane's child's-eye-view of dethroned emperors, state-sanctioned whippings, and heroes of the revolution allows us to learn as she does the history of this fascinating country and of her own extraordinary family. Intensely personal, profoundly political, and wholly original, Persepolis is at once a story of growing up and a stunning reminder of the human cost of war and political repression. It shows how we carry on, through laughter and tears, in the face of absurdity. And, finally, it introduces us to an irresistible little girl with whom we cannot help but fall in love.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,651,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible