Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by…

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood (edition 2004)

by Marjane Satrapi

Member:teatiemz
Title:Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood
Authors:Marjane Satrapi
Info:Pantheon (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:*****

Persepolis I : The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi

Recently added bymissmalena, syke87, zkazy, bernarde54, INorris, maximnoronha, ennedroC, private library, alo1224, dlackey
    Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (teelgee)
    Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began by Art Spiegelman (Tjarda)
    Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi (Eustrabirbeonne)
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Journey from the Land of No: A Girlhood Caught in Revolutionary Iran by Roya Hakakian (cransell)
    cransell: A complementary (non-graphic) look at growing up in Iran during the Revolution.
    The Rabbi's Cat by Joann Sfar (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Psychiatric Tales: Eleven Graphic Stories About Mental Illness by Darryl Cunningham (vnovak)
    vnovak: In the introduction to Psychiatric Tales, Darryl Cunningham said that he was inspired to write it after reading Persepolis. They share a spare, black and white style and a empathetic view of difficult topics.
    Nylon Road: A Graphic Memoir of Coming of Age in Iran by Parsua Bashi (elvisettey)
    elvisettey: Another coming-of-age memoir in Iran.
    The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books show the effects of the Iranian Revolution of 1979 on Iranian families. The House of the Mosque shows its effect on a Muslim family whereas Persepolis shows its effect on a more secular family. Both authors are writing from their own experience… (more)
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (jlparent)
    jlparent: Another wonderfully done graphic novel memoir about a difficult childhood.
    Forget Sorrow: An Ancestral Tale by Belle Yang (VaterOlsen)
    My Father's Notebook by Kader Abdolah (Tjarda)
    Epileptic by David B. (yabyak)
    Blankets by Craig Thompson (Hibou8)
    Die Birnen von Ribbeck by Friedrich Christian Delius (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Life at a personal level under various political regimes, told in an unconventional way.
    When I Was Puerto Rican by Esmeralda Santiago (jilld17)
    Memed, My Hawk by Yashar Kemal (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Heartbreak Diet: A Story of Family, Fidelity, and Starting Over by Thorina Rose (makaiju)
    makaiju: Another autobiographical graphic novel :-p that's a mouthful!
    Mostly Miniatures: An Introduction to Persian Painting by Oleg Grabar (Eustrabirbeonne)

English (236)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Japanese (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (241)
This graphic novel highlights issues that most young readers probably are not exposed to until maybe high school. The Islamic revolution told through this lens gives it a very authentic feel that we don't often see in Western society. You get to see brutally at times, how much a culture can shift during someones lifetime and change how society functions. This is definitely something that young readers don't understand about other cultures, and I think its beneficial for them to learn about it, they may have peers who are from these areas, etc.
  loross | Mar 11, 2015 |
Marjane Satrapi uses her own personal experiences to give readers insight into an important part of world history—The Islamic Revolution. The memoir provides clear, striking images of a painful time in Marjane’s life. Although it is fictionalized, the reality of her story cannot be denied. It can be compared to the famous Pulitzer Prize winning Maus. Like Art Spiegalman’s graphic novel about the holocaust, Persepolis provides an awareness of a difficult time in our world’s history.
Satrapi tells the autobiographical tale of Marji, who is ten years old at the beginning of the novel during the years of the Islamic Revolution. Marji struggles with the realities of war, wearing a veil among other mandates, and trying to understand such harsh reality at such a young age. Marji tries to come to terms with the conditions of her country, but ultimately struggles and feels a sense of rebelliousness. Although her parents are very liberal, they feared for Marji’s safety at such a perilous time.
In this novel, readers will discover a bitter part of history, the loss of innocence of a young girl, the harsh reality of war, the difference of cultures, as well as feel a deep connection with a child who experienced a very unique childhood. This is not only an excellent coming of age story, it has a variety of themes to discuss, and the context gives readers a primary account into a piece of history. Class discussions can vary from themes of loss of innocence to cultural identity to social class. In addition, readers can clearly see the development of the protagonist and sympathize and connect with her. The novel is rich in both history and literary development, and the illustrations add a brilliant piece that will appeal to young adults. ( )
  Whitneyhhh | Feb 22, 2015 |
Author and illustrator Marjane Satrapi's memoir of growing up in Iran begins in 1980, when she is just ten years old. After the fall of the Shah, her affluent family finds that their privileged, Westernized lifestyle is no longer sustainable. The Ayatollah's standard bearers of Islamic theocracy are in charge, and they are watching everyone for any deviation from acceptable dress, behavior, or attitude. Those who run afoul of the government's dictates risk imprisonment, torture, and even execution.

The chief pleasure of this book is in its illustrations. Satrapi's childlike but incisive drawings effectively capture both the innocence of childhood and the harshness of life under a repressive regime. Her affection for her parents and grandmother is particularly evident. In the space of a few pages this book manages to go from funny, to heartbreaking, to tender, and back again, without ever seeming manipulative or forced. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  akblanchard | Jan 17, 2015 |
Cartoon novel, easy to read, surprisingly, told first person by a little girl in Iran and the changes in regime from bad to worse, the Shah to Kohlmeni. We watched the movie, Persepolis, at the Chapin Library, "Muslim Journeys" talks. ( )
  bereanna | Jan 10, 2015 |
I'll be honest, I didn't find the writing overly spectacular or groundbreaking. I wasn't wowed by the artistry or the uniqueness of the text. However, I was fascinated from beginning to end. She was raised in Iran, a country I really know very, very little about (and most of what I "know" is probably wrong), but I loved to see the same types of experiences that I had or that my friends had were still the same to what she experienced, despite very different backgrounds and very, very different types of trials in our lives. I thought the artwork did wonders for the text, it brought to life what otherwise could have been some very bland explanations. It was interesting from beginning to end. Definitely worth the read. ( )
  CSTaylor24 | Jan 10, 2015 |
Satrapi’s style is almost primitive, consisting of flat figures with simple shapes and features. It’s more sophisticated than a child’s creations, but it superficially resembles them, an approach that supports the presentation of memories from that period of life.

Marjane Satrapi's ''Persepolis'' is the latest and one of the most delectable examples of a booming postmodern genre: autobiography by comic book.

Marjane Satrapiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aarne, TainaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deluze, EveLetteringsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferris, BlakeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merrien, CelineAdditional hand letteringsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ripa, MattiasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents
This is me when I was 10 years old. This was in 1980.
EXCEPT FOR MY GRANDMOTHER I WAS OBVIOUSLY THE ONLY ONE WHO BELIEVED IN MYSELF.
IT WAS FUNNY TO SEE HOW MUCH MARX AND GOD LOOKED LIKE EACH OTHER. THOUGH MARX'S HAIR WAS A BIT CURLIER.
TO EACH HIS OWN WAY OF CALMING DOWN.
Persepolis was originally published in 4 volumes. Some later editions, especially in the U.S., combined volumes 1-2 into one work Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood; volumes 3-4 were combined into Persepolis: The Story of a Return. Keep this in mind when combining/separating.

This entry needs a bit of cleaning up, since this the French edition, which is the first of four (the amazon.com entry listed 76 pages, which is correct for the first of four volumes in French). However, many of the reviews contain material from later in the series, and the last words in English appear not to be the last words of the first of four volumes.

An intelligent and outspoken only child, Satrapi--the daughter of radical Marxists and the great-granddaughter of Iran's last emperor--bears witness to a childhood uniquely entwined with the history of her country. Originally published to wide critical acclaim in France, where it elicited comparisons to Art Spiegelman's Maus, Persepolis is Marjane Satrapi's wise, funny, and heartbreaking memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. In powerful black-and-white comic strip images, Satrapi tells the story of her life in Tehran from ages six to fourteen, years that saw the overthrow of the Shah's regime, the triumph of the Islamic Revolution, and the devastating effects of war with Iraq. The intelligent and outspoken only child of committed Marxists and the great-granddaughter of one of Iran's last emperors, Marjane bears witness to a childhood uniquely entwined with the history of her country. Persepolis paints an unforgettable portrait of daily life in Iran: of the bewildering contradictions between home life and public life and of the enormous toll repressive regimes exact on the individual spirit. Marjane's child's-eye-view of dethroned emperors, state-sanctioned whippings, and heroes of the revolution allows us to learn as she does the history of this fascinating country and of her own extraordinary family. Intensely personal, profoundly political, and wholly original, Persepolis is at once a story of growing up and a stunning reminder of the human cost of war and political repression. It shows how we carry on, through laughter and tears, in the face of absurdity. And, finally, it introduces us to an irresistible little girl with whom we cannot help but fall in love.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,727,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible