Fear and Trembling by Amélie Nothomb

Fear and Trembling (1999)

by Amélie Nothomb

Hell by Yasutaka Tsutsui (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Satire of certain aspects of the Japanese psyche. In addition, a fun read!

English (37)  French (5)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (2)  Russian (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (56)
This book was a very highly entertaining read. Nothomb insightful writing is a good observation of the cultural differences between her western culture and the Japanese culture in the woman's work force. It's full of wry humor, yet compassion for the characters. It's a very short but worthwhile read. I recommend it for those who are interested in modern Japan. ( )
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
I read this in the English translation, which apparently does not exist on goodreads. ( )
  maliora | Apr 24, 2015 |
  maliora | Apr 24, 2015 |
A book about dreaming of another life but something that doesn't really turns out the way you expected. The heroïne gets to work in Japan but have a hard time in getting accepted at the office. Terror described beautifully. ( )
  casparia | Sep 13, 2014 |
This book has such a simple premise but happens to contain so much thought behind culture. I enjoy Amelie Nothomb, her writing has a certain dark comic side that I find fits perfect with my taste. This book is her most acclaimed with the awards it won, but I enjoyed "The Stranger Next Door" quite a bit more than this book. Perhaps because this contained more of an upfront cultural debate and the other contained more mystery. What I will be taking from this... I do like this Author very much and will be seeking out more of her work to read. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |

Amélie Nothombprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hunter, AdrianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mister Haneda was senior to Mister Omochi, who was senior to Mister Saito, who was senior to Miss Mori, who was senior to me.
Monsieur Haneda était le supérieur de monsieur Omochi, qui était le supérieur de monsieur Saito, qui était le supérieur de mademoiselle Mori, qui était ma supérieure.
Original title: Stupeur et tremblements

Nuori, akateemisesti koulutettu belgialainen Amélie on saanut työpaikan suuryrityksestä Japanissa, lapsuutensa idyllissä. Hän hallitsee täydellisesti japanin kielen, mutta kulttuurien kuilu on ylittämätön. Väärinkäsitykset takaavat, että ura on jyrkästi laskujohteinen.

According to ancient Japanese protocol, foreigners deigning to approach the emperor did so only with fear and trembling. Terror and self-abasement conveyed respect. Amélie, our well-intentioned and eager young Western heroine, goes to Japan to spend a year working at the Yumimoto Corporation. Returning to the land where she was born is the fulfillment of a dream for Amélie; working there turns into comic nightmare.

Alternately disturbing and hilarious, unbelievable and shatteringly convincing, Fear and Trembling will keep readers clutching tight to the pages of this taut little novel, caught up in the throes of fear, trembling, and, ultimately, delight.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:06 -0400)

A novel set in contemporary Japan depicting Japanese corporate culture and the sexism and racism that exist in Japanese society.

Voland Edizioni

2 editions of this book were published by Voland Edizioni.

Editions: 8886586728, 8886586957

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,053,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible