Fear and Trembling by Amélie Nothomb

Fear and Trembling (1999)

by Amélie Nothomb

1,657None4,318 (3.66)101
1001 (24) 1001 books (18) 1990s (8) 20th century (15) autobiographical (10) autobiography (22) Belgian (17) Belgian literature (17) Belgium (23) en français (10) fiction (120) France (15) French (83) French literature (33) humor (13) Japan (170) Japanese (9) literature (24) memoir (11) non-fiction (9) Nothomb (9) novel (35) read (17) Roman (35) satire (14) to-read (19) Tokyo (7) translated (8) translation (12) unread (8)
    Hell by Yasutaka Tsutsui (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Satire of certain aspects of the Japanese psyche. In addition, a fun read!

English (32)  French (5)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (4)  Russian (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (49)
bookshelves: currently-reading, film-only, autumn-2013, belgium, japan, translation, travel, published-1999, shortstory-shortstories-novellas, tokyo
Read from November 26 to 27, 2013

photo 689211_zps61542034.gif

Description from IMDB: A Belgian woman looks back on her year at a Japanese corporation in Tokyo in 1990. She is Amélie, born in Japan, living there until age 5. After college graduation, she returns with a one-year contract as an interpreter. The vice president and section leader, both men, are boors, but her immediate supervisor, Ms. Mori, is beautiful and trustworthy. Amélie's downfall begins when she speaks perfect Japanese to clients. She compounds her failure by writing an excellent report for an enterprising colleague. The person she least expects to stab her in the back exposes her work. Thus begins her humiliations. What can become of her and of her relationship with Ms. Mori and with Japan?

Harsh work environment in Tokyo; in fact life in general seems to be so cold and inhuman, or is it just that I come across the wrong books. *shrug* Either way, as eye-opening as it is, this was not a cherishable story. ( )
  mimal | Jan 1, 2014 |
Made me feel better about the cultural difficulties I was having as an American living in France. Really enjoyed it. ( )
  Snukes | Jun 14, 2013 |
I can't believe I've not read this before - it's been sitting on my shelf for ages - and I think I've been missing out.

Young Amélie starts work as a translator at Yumimoto at the bottom rung of the corporate ladder, but as she makes a bad impression as soon as she arrives, and continues to break Japanese traditions and infuriate her superiors, she is continually demoted until she takes on the job of 'Madame Pipi' in the 44th floor toilets.

Absolutely hilarious - I was trying (and failing) to not burst out laughing and look like an idiot while reading on the bus... ( )
  stevejwales | Apr 27, 2013 |
Reveals with a refined sense of humour a side of the Japanese society that is less known. Working for a major Japanese company in a low position, Amélie manages to descend even lower. It's easy to read and some of the scenes made me lough out loud. ( )
  dorin.budusan | Apr 10, 2013 |
Amélie Nothomb was in my sights ever since I read Loving Sabotage, her autobiographical novel of childhood in China. Here's another true to life fiction concerning the adventures of a female employee named Amélie in a male-dominated Japanese company. Her work consisted of going through the fires and tribulations of each of the seven circles of hell. Full of fear and temblor, shock and shiver, but it sometimes managed to be funny as hell. ( )
1 vote Rise | Jan 7, 2013 |
Mister Haneda was senior to Mister Omochi, who was senior to Mister Saito, who was senior to Miss Mori, who was senior to me.
Monsieur Haneda était le supérieur de monsieur Omochi, qui était le supérieur de monsieur Saito, qui était le supérieur de mademoiselle Mori, qui était ma supérieure.
Original title: Stupeur et tremblements

Nuori, akateemisesti koulutettu belgialainen Amélie on saanut työpaikan suuryrityksestä Japanissa, lapsuutensa idyllissä. Hän hallitsee täydellisesti japanin kielen, mutta kulttuurien kuilu on ylittämätön. Väärinkäsitykset takaavat, että ura on jyrkästi laskujohteinen.

According to ancient Japanese protocol, foreigners deigning to approach the emperor did so only with fear and trembling. Terror and self-abasement conveyed respect. Amélie, our well-intentioned and eager young Western heroine, goes to Japan to spend a year working at the Yumimoto Corporation. Returning to the land where she was born is the fulfillment of a dream for Amélie; working there turns into comic nightmare.

Alternately disturbing and hilarious, unbelievable and shatteringly convincing, Fear and Trembling will keep readers clutching tight to the pages of this taut little novel, caught up in the throes of fear, trembling, and, ultimately, delight.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:50 -0400)

A novel set in contemporary Japan depicting Japanese corporate culture and the sexism and racism that exist in Japanese society.

Voland Edizioni

Two editions of this book were published by Voland Edizioni.

Editions: 8886586728, 8886586957

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible