No title (1999)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Fear and Trembling by Amélie Nothomb (1999)

Recently added byPaulGodfread, TheGoodReader, wm3395, avalinah, tstan, private library, augustgarage, Gika, caito17
    Hell by Yasutaka Tsutsui (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Satire of certain aspects of the Japanese psyche. In addition, a fun read!

English (38)  French (5)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (4)  Catalan (2)  German (1)  Russian (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (58)
An enjoyable memoir of a western woman (Belgian) taking a job for a large corporation in Tokyo, and how she never does anything right. The corporate cultural differences are hysterical. A quick enjoyable read that opens your eyes to differences. I am glad to live & work in North America,, even though according to the author, the Japanese consider us inferior beings LOL!!! ( )
  Icewineanne | Aug 4, 2016 |
This book gets better every time I read it, and I read something new into it each time. This time I realized that the east/west clash that can be expected from books like this is so cleverly handled by Nothomb that I began to wonder whether the main character was not more 'eastern' than her surrounding cast - and I think that's the point of the book really.

I now get to talk about this at a book discussion I'm running on Saturday and, while extra detail is always good, this reading has certainly left me with a lot of questions. I now hope a lot of people show up to provide me with answers! ( )
1 vote MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |
This book received the "Grand Prix de l'Academia francaise" for a good reason. It is witty and really well written. I absolutely recommend it.
  Leticia.Toraci | Feb 10, 2016 |
This book was a very highly entertaining read. Nothomb insightful writing is a good observation of the cultural differences between her western culture and the Japanese culture in the woman's work force. It's full of wry humor, yet compassion for the characters. It's a very short but worthwhile read. I recommend it for those who are interested in modern Japan. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
I read this in the English translation, which apparently does not exist on goodreads. ( )
  maliora | Apr 24, 2015 |

Amélie Nothombprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hunter, AdrianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mister Haneda was senior to Mister Omochi, who was senior to Mister Saito, who was senior to Miss Mori, who was senior to me.
Monsieur Haneda était le supérieur de monsieur Omochi, qui était le supérieur de monsieur Saito, qui était le supérieur de mademoiselle Mori, qui était ma supérieure.
Original title: Stupeur et tremblements

Nuori, akateemisesti koulutettu belgialainen Amélie on saanut työpaikan suuryrityksestä Japanissa, lapsuutensa idyllissä. Hän hallitsee täydellisesti japanin kielen, mutta kulttuurien kuilu on ylittämätön. Väärinkäsitykset takaavat, että ura on jyrkästi laskujohteinen.

According to ancient Japanese protocol, foreigners deigning to approach the emperor did so only with fear and trembling. Terror and self-abasement conveyed respect. Amélie, our well-intentioned and eager young Western heroine, goes to Japan to spend a year working at the Yumimoto Corporation. Returning to the land where she was born is the fulfillment of a dream for Amélie; working there turns into comic nightmare.

Alternately disturbing and hilarious, unbelievable and shatteringly convincing, Fear and Trembling will keep readers clutching tight to the pages of this taut little novel, caught up in the throes of fear, trembling, and, ultimately, delight.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:06 -0400)

A novel set in contemporary Japan depicting Japanese corporate culture and the sexism and racism that exist in Japanese society.

Voland Edizioni

2 editions of this book were published by Voland Edizioni.

Editions: 8886586728, 8886586957

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,116,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible