The Ern Malley affair by Michael Heyward

The Ern Malley affair (edition 2003)

by Michael Heyward

Title:The Ern Malley affair
Authors:Michael Heyward
Info:London: Faber and Faber, 2003. xxiv, 367 p. ; 20 cm.
Tags:Australian literature, hoax, literary criticism, Modernism, poetry

The Ern Malley Affair by Michael Heyward

What could I give this book but a perfect score for the hoax poets James McAuley and Harold Stewart pulled off. A hoax in one hand and in the other the greatest modernist expression Australia has ever produced. Does that make this dada-ist poetry? The story is one of those stranger than fiction fish out of water tales that happen once in a lifetime or perhaps in this case once in all of recorded human history.

That being said, I don't know if Michael Heyward nailed all of the important factors about the story. I honestly would've liked to have seen both Ern Malley authors' other poetry and see for myself what exactly a joke is supposed to look like. After all, I'm sure Tennyson joking would look just like Ezra Pound. It's also interesting that this is a trick nobody wants to admit is a trick just as Finnegans Wake is the real deal nobody wants to admit is the real deal. Also, the lives of McAuley and Stewart seem awful anemic in lieu of a rather anti-climatic case against Max Harris for obscenity. I wish it had talked more about the demise of the Angry Penguins itself as I heard it did run into issues outside the case that ultimately ended it over any ramifications thereof. ( )
  Salmondaze | Apr 4, 2016 |

Michael Heywardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hughes, RobertAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hughes, RobertIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,829,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible