The 900 Days: The Siege Of Leningrad by…

The 900 Days: The Siege Of Leningrad (original 1969; edition 2003)

by Harrison Salisbury

Member:Marensr
Title:The 900 Days: The Siege Of Leningrad
Authors:Harrison Salisbury
Info:Da Capo Press (2003), Paperback, 672 pages

The 900 Days: The Siege of Leningrad by Harrison E. Salisbury (1969)

The book was well written and the stories conveyed were properly cited. The details of what went on in Leningrad were still disturbing, although I was aware of some snippets of them.

It is a sad story that the Soviet government refused to allow so many of the details to come out, and it took the crumbling of that empire to get many details out. It is an incredible story of death and survival, along with the maniacal actions of Stalin and his followers. Sadly, so many Americans were wholehearted supporters of Stalin over the years and remained so until revelations of what he really did finally came out.

Despite being quite detailed, the writing style allowed for fairly easy reading, if you can stand to continue without having to take fairly frequent breaks. Having read many books about WW II, and being a historical non-fiction fan, I was able to get through it in about 2 weeks while on vacation in the Caribbean.

The one big disappointment, so to speak, I had in reading it was that it was short on details of the military side of the siege. That may have been a misdirected expectation on my part, but when I picked up the soft-cover version at a library book sale, nowhere did the cover indicate that 98% was about the residents' struggles, not the military activity. for that reason, I gave it 4 stars rather than 5. ( )
  highlander6022 | Mar 16, 2016 |
8 ( )
  agdturner | Aug 5, 2011 |
Still the best book on the topic, and unlikely ever to be surpassed.
  wfzimmerman | Jun 25, 2008 |
There were times when I was reading this book that it almost brought me to tears. The chapters involving the starvation and the cannibalism were simply horrifying. The author did a very good job of telling the story from the individual's point of view. That made it hit home a bit more than if it was a view from 10,000 feet up. What gave me a hard time while reading this book was keeping track of all the different names and their associated units. While there were 3 maps included in this book, I could have used a few more. Having said that, I was still able to follow along for the most part.

I never realized the death and destruction involved in the Leningrad siege before reading this book. It seems as if most historians focus on Stalingrad or Moscow. I do wish, as another reviewer pointed out, that more time was spent on the second and third years. Perhaps there was not as much to tell since the food supply was increased and a good number of people in the city had been evacuated. ( )
2 vote MatthewN | Jan 8, 2008 |
A thoroughly absorbing account of the privations suffered during this momentous part of WWII. It's remarkable that the author was able to gather so many accounts from ordinary people, given that it was written in the late 1960s when Brezhnev was reversing the moves towards openness introduced under Khrushchev. The book was officially criticised in the USSR as giving insufficient coverage to the role of the Communist Party in leading the besieged citizens' struggle. The only slight point of mild criticism of this great book might be the imbalance in coverage of the 900 days: the emphasis is almost all on the first winter of the siege when so many died of starvation, with the following two years covered very scantily. ( )
1 vote john257hopper | Oct 28, 2006 |

The Nazi siege of Leningrad from 1941 to 1944 was one of the most gruesome episodes of World War II. Nearly three million people endured it; just under half of them died. For twenty-five years the distinguished journalist and historian Harrison Salisbury pieced together this remarkable narrative of villainy and survival, in which the city had much to fear-from both Hitler and Stalin.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:08 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,640,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible