The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock

The Book of Questions

by Gregory Stock

Good for teaching free conversation classes. Some of the vocabulary is a bit complex for non-native speakers, but the issues are issues we all deal with all of the time. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I like the premise of this book, there are some great questions in there, they really make you think. ( )
  magickislife | Dec 29, 2015 |
A small volume from the late 80s consisting entirely of questions designed to provoke thought, discussion, or self-examination. Most of them are based on hypothetical scenarios. Some semi-random examples: "If you could use a voodoo doll to hurt anyone you chose, would you?", "Would you be willing to have horrible nightmares every night for a year if you would be rewarded with extraordinary wealth?", "What, if anything, is too serious to be joked about?" There's lots of moral dilemmas and artificial choices, and questions about what you would trade for wealth or money or love or fulfillment.

I bought this at a library sale something like twenty years ago, and it sat on my shelves all that time until I finally decided to pick it up and read through it. Alas, I think that long, long delay was unfortunate, because this sort of exercise is surely much more interesting, enlightening, and useful when you're college-age and still figuring out who you are and what you value. Coming to it in my 40s, though... Well, for most of the questions either I already had an answer I'd worked out years ago, or the questions just seemed kind of stupid. ( )
  bragan | Dec 1, 2014 |
I really liked this book. I didn't expect to find as many questions that I didn't know the answer to as I did. They were all 'what if's or 'what would you do's and I thought I knew myself quite well but was both pleased and surprised to find that many of the questions posed required some thought. ( )
  AngelaRenea | May 12, 2014 |
Good set of questions to use as discussion starters at dinner and/or parties. Sample question: "If a crystal ball could tell you the truth about any one thing about yourself, life, the future, or anything else, what would you want to know, and why?" ( )
  Cherizar | Apr 19, 2014 |

A New York Times bestseller with over 1.9 million copies in print, THE BOOK OF QUESTIONS poses 265 questions that invite people to explore the most fascinating of subjects: themselves. These questions are as intriguing as our very lives because they are about our lives-our fundamental values and beliefs, our dreams and nightmares about sex, money, love, power.

Some of the questions thrust you into a value-testing hypothetical situation (Would you accept 20 years of extraordinary happiness and fulfillment if it meant you would die at the end of the period?), some ask you to delve into your past (When is the last time you stole anything?) and help you find out if you've changed (Would you now return it if you could?), and others reveal your basic nature by examining your behavior (When you are given a compliment do you usually acknowledge it or suggest that you really do not deserve it?). Whether used as an avenue for personal growth, a tool for deepening relationships, or simply as an entertainment, The Book of Questions may be the only publication that challenges-and even changes-the way readers view the world, without offering a single opinion of its own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:44 -0400)

Collects more than 200 questions designed to provoke thought about basic values and beliefs.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,871,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible