Nadirs by Herta Müller

Nadirs (1982)

by Herta Müller

2071484,155 (3.48)34

English (11)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (14)
Bassure contiene una serie di racconti che sono collegati tra di loro dalla autobiografica narrazione dell'infanzia della scrittrice.
Le descrizioni sono forti, aiutate da frasi brevi e incisive. Non ci sono lunghi eloqui ma la maggior parte dei racconti punta sulle immagini immediate e dirette.
L'atmosfera che si respira è pregna di dolore e sottomissione, le scene descritte sono crude (soprattutto quando riguardano gli animali) e non è difficile visualizzarle concretamente.
Perde, secondo me, un po' sul finale dove la narrazione diventa un po' troppo forzata, ma resta comunque un interessante breve spaccato di vita dell'autrice.
  Feseven78 | Apr 17, 2019 |
Banato, Wa
:-)

-una volta chiuso il libro ho realizzato che leggere la Muller è come mettere in 'repeat' Something In The Way di Kurt Cobain (di ascendenze tedesche pure lui, sarà quello?)-

Giocando un poco a CultBook quindi, anche se non sono Stas Gawronski, lascio qui il link di un bel videoclip per la canzone (e per il libro) di cui sopra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y9VBWaNRaI&NR=1 ( )
  downisthenewup | Aug 17, 2017 |
"...Y dicen que el recién muerto cuida el cementerio hasta que llega el siguiente". ( )
  darioha | Mar 16, 2017 |
Nadirs is a collection of semi-autobiographical short stories depicting the youth of Herta Muller’s in a Germany speaking region of the Romanian countryside. Facts mixed with fantasy, the author recollects memories of her childhood in short abrupt sentences, somewhat stream of conscientiousness, possibly close to how a child thinks. The fantasy elements at times add confusion as it’s not meant to be literal. At other times, my mind wandered in art mode – surrealism effect (Dali with melting clocks, time melting, lots of death…) or cubism effect (Picasso with jagged edges, harsh livelihood, rain described as glass) or impressionism effect (Monet with florals, a softness in the countryside). Joy is inevitably mixed with gruesomeness; I failed to take in all the words, painting pictures of scenes sometimes best not visualized.

All the stories are very short except the title tale, “Nadirs”, which was the most telling of the various elements in her life. Given the setting is vastly different than my own, I find some aspects to be hmm, curious, such as mildew on walls are salty and the goats like to lick them. Is that real? The internet didn’t give me an answer, Lol. The “Village Chronicle” gave a matter of fact account of her surroundings, which I appreciated, while “Workday” was a humorous take on a bad way to start the work day. “Rotten Pears” has the young author on a road trip with father, aunt, and cousin where she hears “Aunt is moaning. Father is panting.” Upon returning home and lying to her mother that everyone slept separately, she then hears “Mother moans. Father pants.” Yikes… With a perpetually drunk father, corporal punishment, images of death, animals galore, and a less than idyllic life, a book like this reminds me my youth didn’t suck so much after all. It is not a book that I would readily recommend to anyone. If you like international (non-U.S., non-Brit) lit and appreciate some darkness in the words, then go for it. Otherwise, stay away.

Some quotes:

On death:
“The pulp is craved out of the pumpkins. Two eyes, a triangular nose and a mouth are cut into the shell. A candle is place in the pumpkin shell… The children are swaying the cut-off heads through the dark. They run into the houses crying… The doctor is much too late. My father’s puked out his liver. There in the bucket it stinks like rotten soil… In the cavity of my father’s head, the candle has duped itself into death.”

On animal slaughtering – it’s rather gruesome:
“A village full of strange dogs was in our yard. They were licking the blood from the straw of the manure heap and dragging claws and skin scraps across the barn floor. Uncle pulled them from their mouths. They weren’t allowed in the street with them.
Two eyes were lying in the liquid manure. The cat bit into one of them with her canine tooth. There was a crack, and bluish slime splattered in her face. She shook herself and walked off with stiff spread-out legs.”

On corporal punishment – I grew up with corporal punishment but boy, this is a level up…
“Every day at noon, Mother brought warm milk to the kitchen, warm from the cow. I asked her if she would be sad too if they took me away from her, if they were to slaughter me. I fell against the closet door, I had a blue bump on my forehead, I had a swollen upper lip and a purple bruise on my arm. All that from a slap.”
And
“…when the priest said that lipsticks are made from blood of fleas and other disgusting animals I asked myself why the Madonna at the side altar was using lipstick. I also asked the priest and then he beat my hands sore with his ruler and sent me home immediately. I couldn’t bend my fingers for several days afterward.”

On her grandmother’s cast – apparently country living doesn’t mix well with a sparkling white cast:
“Grandmother’s cast had gotten dirty with time. The city doctor who had given her this cast had a bloated and very pale face. When he saw Grandmother’s cast his fact go even bigger.
On her cast there were a few splashes of cow manure, some traces of green tomato leaves, many blue plum stains and some grease stains. There was a whole summer on her cast…” ( )
1 vote varwenea | Mar 21, 2016 |
Nadirs is a collection of semi-autobiographical short stories depicting life in a German-speaking Romanian community. Müller’s flat, succinct style is enhanced by her vivid, at times graphic, descriptions of people and places and occasional bouts of surrealism. The title story is very powerful but pretty much every story is extremely bleak and depressing. “Nadirs” takes that to new highs (lows?) as every glimmer of hope or pleasure or beauty is paired with violent or unpleasant imagery. For example, the narrator recalls the fun she has playing with a toy mouse, but it comes just after a section describing in graphic detail how their cats would dismember and eat mice. Pumpkin carving brings to mind her father’s death. Any descriptions of nature are juxtaposed with images of rot, decay and death. The story ostensibly describes the narrator’s childhood in a Banat Romanian village but there are some subtle criticisms of the Communist regime – describing how common death is in the cities and the overall mood of hopelessness.

Most of the other stories are short and also describe village life. Besides “Nadirs”, the best ones are those with flights of surrealism – “The Funeral Sermon” which describes the narrator’s father’s funeral heightened by its unreality, “About German Mustaches and Hair Parts” – about a friend who returns to the village and finds it unrecognizable, and “Workday” which seems to be a flat, straightforward depiction of a day but everything is completely off. I found Müller’s short and flat style, at times a listing of events or descriptions, to be rather hypnotic but could easily see how many would find it off-putting. Also, the extreme grimness and bleak mood makes it hard to recommend – it might be one more admirable than likeable. ( )
2 vote DieFledermaus | Feb 7, 2013 |

Premio Nobel de Literatura 2009. El presente volumen reúne quince relatos –localizados en su mayoría en un mundo rural inclemente, cerrado y opresivo– que nos hacen recorrer, tras la mirada viviseccionadora de una niña, escenas cotidianas en la vida de una pequeña comunidad de ascendencia suaba. El núcleo familiar, la muerte, los juegos infantiles, el sexo, la iglesia y la escuela, el baile, los animales y el huerto se van plasmando con una engañosa ingenuidad que convierte la realidad en brutal pesadilla. Por encima de la anécdota la naturaleza se impone, incluso en las breves escenas de la vida urbana, en cada una de las páginas del libro, destilando una intensa calidad poética con la fuerza de sus imágenes casi oníricas.
added by pacocillero | editContraportada del libro

Herta Müllerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hengel, Ria vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
At the railway station, relatives were running alongside the puffing train.

A collection of stories on life in Romania under Communism, illustrating the violence and the corruption. They are based on the writer's experience in her youth, in a village in the German-speaking part of the country.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,176,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible