Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust

Girl, Serpent, Thorn (original 2020; edition 2020)

by Melissa Bashardoust (Author)

Member:tmoore318
Title:Girl, Serpent, Thorn
Authors:Melissa Bashardoust (Author)
Info:Flatiron Books (2020), 336 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Currently Reading

Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust (2020)

Girl, Serpent, Thorn is such an exciting read. The premise initally felt like how Pushing Dasies would be if the main character was more like Elsa, from Frozen. However, the stakes kept rising and the risks kept increasing and I found myself supporting Soraya whether she chose to become a monster or become a princess. The almost-Arabian setting pulled from a mythology I know little about and I liked hearing stories I hadn't ever heard before. Also, the cover doesn't make sense until the book is complete and then you realize how brilliant it is. ( )
  Emma.June.Lyon | Feb 23, 2021 |
Its rare you get a book that you love so much that you cannot put it down. Its also very rare that you find a book that reminds you why you loved reading to begin with, for me, Melissa Bashardoust did the impossible. I fell in love with this so much that I read it all in one day. Based off of Persian and classic fairytales, Girl, Serpent, Thorn draws you into the world of Soraya - a Princess with a huge secret that is her worst nightmare, and perhaps, her most dangerous quality. Both romances are very sweet, I honestly wished I didn't see the LGBT tag when I put this into my library, but its very rare you can go from routing for the Princess and the Bad Boy to routing for the Princess and the Demonic Moth Girl. However, the straight forward writing and the quick pace had me saying "Just one more page!" for about three hours straight until I finished it. I will be reccommending this highly to all my friends and family as well as patrons at the library where I work! ( )
  tmoore318 | Jan 26, 2021 |
Drawing from Persian tales, Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust weaves a unique fairy tale of its own.
Soraya, princess and sister to her twin brother, the current Shah, has lived all her life sequestered in one of the palaces under a curse since she was a baby: her skin is poisonous and kills anything which contacts it. The story revolves around Soraya discovering the true nature of her curse, how to break it, and the unexpected consequences if she does.
As it was a fairy tale, I knew everything would work out, somehow, in the end, but the unexpected twists and turns and changing alliances were very rewarding. ( )
  deslivres5 | Dec 21, 2020 |
I loved this book! Smart and entertaining mix up of fairy tale elements, featuring characters that are flawed and interesting, with a highly satisfying conclusion. ( )
  duchessjlh | Dec 13, 2020 |
Perfect for fairy tale fans, for YA fans and fantasy fans. “Girl, Serpent, Thorn” is about myth, expectation, shame, growing up, living in shadow, making mistakes, disappointing people, learning who you really are, learning who your parent really is and making amends. Of righting a wrong, knowing it’s possible you may not be forgiven, but righting it anyway.

It’s always a joy to read a book that has characters and a culture I don’t often see in literature. This book features Persian culture and a bisexual main character.

There were enough characters in the book that I normally have trouble keeping track of them, but I didn’t experience that this time. Probably because they all had very distinct roles.

I don’t want to say too much about this because I don’t want to give anything away, but the moment where Soraya truly comes into her own, I could have read about that for a lot longer. There was so much build-up to that moment and I wanted to be in that moment for longer.

I can absolutely see this book being made into a movie. The imagery would be so magical. The cover is lovely too. The book opens with such an engaging paragraph, like any good fairy tale.

I love this book for teens too, because it tackles a lot of themes/issues that we face growing up and it’s great for kids to see that in the books they read.

Note: I received this ARC as a Goodreads giveaway. These thoughts are my own. ( )
  coffeefairy | Nov 21, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,719,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible