Masters of the Art: A Fighting Marine's…

Masters of the Art: A Fighting Marine's Memoir of Vietnam

by Ronald Winter

Well told story of a Marine door gunner/electrification during the Vietnam conflict. Dealing with after the war both the memories and the cruel treatment of fellow Americans at the end of his tale was the most moving to me.

It blew his mind that we would abandon South Vietnam, our allies, the way we did and then tens of thousands of South Vietnamese would be murdered and/or sent to re-education camps by the communists after we fled the country so many Americans died to keep free. The people in America protesting the war and violence so vehemently didn't bother to protest as freedoms were taken away from the South Vietnamese and as hill tribes that had helped Americans were slaughtered in retaliation after we left. I guess they were to busy calling returning service men (like my grandfather and uncle who served over there) baby-killers to bother about Khmer Rouge killing hundreds of thousands in the name of Communism in Cambodia. Ultimately Vietnam isn't a shame on the USA because we lost. It's a shame because we ran away. ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0891418792, Mass Market Paperback)

No punches are pulled in this gripping account of Vietnam combat through the eyes of a highly decorated Marine helicopter crewman and door gunner with more than three hundred missions under his belt.

In 1968, U.S. Marine Ronald Winter flew some of the toughest missions of the Vietnam War, from the DMZ grasslands to the jungles near Laos and the deadly A Shau Valley, where the NVA ruled. Whether landing in the midst of hidden enemy troops or rescuing the wounded during blazing firefights, the work of helicopter crews was always dangerous. But the men in the choppers never complained; they knew they had it easy compared to their brothers on the ground.

Masters of the Art is a bare-knuckles tribute to the Marines who served in Vietnam. It’s about courage, sacrifice, and unsung heroes. The men who fought alongside Winter in that jungle hell were U.S. Marines, warriors who did their job and remained true to their country, no matter the cost.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:18 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,915,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible