The Sweeney Sisters: A Novel by Lian Dolan

The Sweeney Sisters: A Novel (edition 2020)

by Lian Dolan (Author)

198826,042 (4.28)None
Member:DonnerLibrary
Title:The Sweeney Sisters: A Novel
Authors:Lian Dolan (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2020), 304 pages

The Sweeney Sisters: A Novel by Lian Dolan

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Sweeney Sisters by Lian Dolan is hands down one of the best books I’ve read in a long time! An immersive reading experience where characters are multifaceted, storylines interwoven seamlessly to keep me invested in an ‘ensemble’ family cast, and location used so very well as it’s own distinct character. I’m all in, sign me up! Dolan balances masterfully a very current topic of DNA testing opening old family secrets without making this an ‘issues’ book. At the end of the day families are the same as they have always been, struggling with the same things they always have. She tells the story of The Sweeney Sisters each in their own unique way, their own journey and as a family, with clarity and empathy and it makes a brilliant reading experience. I’ll be rereading, gifting, and recommending this title over and over. Highly recommended, five stars!
Thank you to LibraryThing and William Morrow for the advanced reader copy and the opportunity to review The Sweeney Sisters. ( )
  CMDH5 | Jan 14, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I very much enjoyed this story of sisters dealing with the aftermath of their father's death.

The unique personalities come through as each sister handles the news in their own way. I could feel the emotions coming off the page as they handled their grief and the many complications in their lives.

The story flows very well between the characters with background information interspersed with the present story. Although much of the subject matter seems like it would be heavy and depressing, the book retains a lighter feel. ( )
  DonnerLibrary | Jan 14, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What if one fact could turn your entire world upside down?

The Sweeney sisters, still reeling from their esteemed author-father’s death, find themselves in this very situation upon their discovery that there is a fourth sister out there. Well, half sister. But this family doesn’t do anything by halves.

With a big cast of characters, The Sweeney Sisters captures the struggles with grief among a myriad of personalities. Despite the larger cast, this novel’s characters are throughly developed. Each sister is a striking portrait of an individual, with their shared history apparent but not overwrought.

The Connecticut setting is gorgeously described, as are each of the more specific settings of homes, businesses, and offices. The author has a keen eye for describing each situation such that the reader feels like they are there with these quickly beloved characters. This book hits that sweet spot where everything is aptly described, enough so you can visualize it but not so much that it feels burdensome or heavy.

The plot delves deeply into family relationships, new and old, as the sisters learn more about themselves and each other while settling the estate. The way the sisters interact is realistic, and made me miss my own sister (who lives across the country) with an extra sharpness.

With a tender heart, plenty of laughs, and an engrossing story, The Sweeney Sisters is sure to capture your heart and mind and stay with you long after you turn the last page.

The Sweeney Sisters will be available April 28, 2020.

Big thanks toLibraryThing for this advanced reader's copy! ( )
  PawPrintsInTheSink | Jan 10, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A sweet little book about family, secrets kept, secrets revealed and the impact it has. I really enjoyed the bond that the Sweeney sisters had together after the death of their father and how they handled the challenges that they had to face in the aftermath of a family secret that unexpectedly showed up during their Father's funeral. The book had some predictable parts, but the characters were likable and real. ( )
  mwinem | Dec 31, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a enjoyable book. A famous writer dies and leaves his 3 daughters to cope with finding out they have a 4th sister. Very easy read. I thought I could guess the ending but was suprised even at the end. Highly recommend it. ( )
  MichelleGO | Dec 14, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Lian Dolan's book The Sweeney Sisters is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,778,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible