Free Fire by C. J. Box

Authors:C. J. Box
Info:Putnam Adult (2007), Hardcover, 368 pages
Tags:Suspense, Recent-ish Favorites

Free Fire by C. J. Box

This was worth staying up late to finish! After all the changes Joe experienced in the last installment, In Plain Sight, I knew we were in for a big adventure with Free Fire! The Governor is sending Joe to Yellowstone National Park to investigate the murder of four campers and to "quietly" look into the activities of the confessed killer, a lawyer who weaseled his way out of murder charges. As usual, Joe finds a lot more than he bargains for in a wild country that will not be tamed or controlled by any man.

I enjoyed seeing Joe's confidence again. It was great to see him working with Nate and I particularly liked the moments when Marybeth joined in to help the investigation. Having the three of them working side by side was a rare treat! Doomsayer's predictions and the normal level of precautions required around the geysers and hot springs added a unique element of danger that kept me flying through the pages! Yellowstone became more than just a setting. It became a living breathing force that Joe constantly battled, embraced, questioned, and respected. This is a must read for C. J. Box fans! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Jun 24, 2016 |
I read a C.J. Box book a couple of months ago after hearing him interviewed on WAMC. I like it a lot, Badlands, and I picked this one up at a library book sale recently. The other book is not part of the Joe Pickett series. This is the first one the series that I have read, it is the seventh one, out of 16 now, and I'll be reading more. Although there were references in the book to past events that must have been the subject of previous entries in the series, I did not feel like I was missing anything by reading this book first, and the book was fully understandable despite not knowing the history of the characters.

Joe has been fired from his position as a State Game Warden, and is working as a foreman for a ranch, when the Governor offers to reinstate him if he agrees to investigate some murders that occurred in Yellowstone National Park. A lawyer had killed four employees of a franchise that operates the Park's hotels. One of the victims had sent an email to the Governor that implied that the State's revenues were in jeopardy. The lawyer got away with the murders because they occurred in a part of the park within the boundaries of Idaho, and due to a legal loophole, no criminal proceeding would be brought against him.

Joe's investigation pits him against the Park Service and the FBI, who resent his interference with their operations and second-guessing of the investigation that they conducted. And as he gets closer to the truth, more people start getting killed, and Joe and his family are in jeopardy.

This is high quality crime fiction. I was entranced and wanted to keep reading the book once the plot took off, after Joe gets to Yellowstone. ( )
  BillPilgrim | May 18, 2016 |
This is the second "Joe Pickett" novel - by C.J. Box - that I have read. I think these are best read in the order they were written but I read what the library has available. I enjoyed this one because of the setting - Yellowstone - the strong characters, and the fast pace. Interesting to read a crime drama where the murder is already solved but the motivation for the murder is the crucial question. This book has a strong environmental theme running through it also quite a bit regarding the volcanic/thermal activity in the Yellowstone Caldera. ( )
  labdaddy4 | Sep 6, 2015 |
Taking advantage of a legal loophole, a lawyer kills four environmental activists in Yellowstone National Park and walks away a free man. His murders were committed in the free-fire zone, a tiny strip of land with overlapping jurisdictions. As the public outcry intensifies, the governor hires recently fired game warden Joe Pickett to conduct a private investigation. Digging through Yellowstone's majestic yet dangerous landscape, Joe soon learns the park itself holds the secret to this terrible crime. ( )
  jepeters333 | Oct 28, 2013 |
Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett is at an interesting juncture in his career. The governor offers him a position, but it's off the record. Joe is to go to Yellowstone National Park to investigate the circumstances surrounding four murders in an area called the Zone of Death – a remote corner of the park where, because of loopholes in the law, it's almost impossible to convict anyone of a crime committed there. The body count continues to mount after Joe's arrival. As Joe pieces together the information he gathers, he realizes that the murders are connected to a conspiracy, and that there could be someone on the inside who is trying to make sure that Joe doesn't uncover it. As if that isn't enough, Joe also has to confront painful memories from his past connected to the park.

As usual for this series, this was a page-turner. Who knew that being a game warden could be this dangerous? I was most drawn to the Yellowstone setting. Joe is there during the off-season, and the lack of tourist traffic gives the park an ominous aura. The natural features of the park like its geysers and hot springs are used to good effect, as is the Old Faithful Inn. After reading Box's description of the inn, I'd love to go to Yellowstone just to see it. This is becoming one of my favorite series when I'm in the mood for adventure. ( )
  cbl_tn | Apr 14, 2013 |
To Becky, who finally saw her bear . . . and Laurie, always
A half-hour after Clay McCann walked into the backwoods ranger station and turned over his still-warm weapons, after he'd announced to the startled seasonal ranger behind the desk that he'd just slaughtered four campers near Robinson Lake, the nervous ranger said, "Law enforcement will be here any minute. Do you want to call a lawyer?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425221245, Mass Market Paperback)

Joe Picket returns, this time to the wilds of Yellowstone National Park. Deftly plotted and full of intrigue, Free Fire is C. J. Box's best novel yet.

Joe Pickett, having recently been fired from his job as a Wyoming game warden, is working on his father-in-law's ranch when he receives a call from the governor's office. Governor Rulon-a devious but down-home politico-has a special request, one Joe knows he can't refuse. For weeks, the headlines have been abuzz with the story of Clay McCann, a lawyer who slaughtered four campers in cold blood in a far-off corner of Yellowstone National Park. After the murders, McCann immediately turned himself in at the nearest park ranger station. It seemed like a slam-dunk case for law enforcement-except that the crimes were committed in a thin sliver of land with zero residents and overlapping jurisdiction, the so-called free-fire zone. McCann had taken advantage of a loophole in the law: neither the state of Wyoming nor the federal government can try him for his crime, so he walks out of prison a free man.

Governor Rulon, sensitive to the rising tide of public outrage over the McCann case, wants his own investigation into the murders. The governor will reinstate Joe as a game warden if he'll go to Yellowstone to investigate. Joe, happy to get his badge back, even under these circumstances, agrees. However, it quickly becomes clear to Joe that McCann is deeply involved with some illegal activity taking place in the park-something tremendously lucrative and unusually dangerous. As Joe and his partner Nate Romanowski search in the unlikeliest places to find the key to the murders, they find out that it may be hidden in the rugged terrain of the park itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:55 -0400)

Having recently lost his job as a Wyoming game warden, Joe Pickett is recruited by the devious governor Rulon to oversee a murder investigation involving a confessed killer and overlapping jurisdictions that enabled the man's release.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,922,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible