Eight Cousins Or the Aunt Hill by May…

Eight Cousins Or the Aunt Hill (original 1875; edition 1986)

by May Alcott, Louisa

Member:dixie_darlin
Title:Eight Cousins Or the Aunt Hill
Authors:May Alcott, Louisa
Info:

Eight Cousins; Or, The Aunt-Hill by Louisa May Alcott (1875)

Rose in Bloom by Louisa May Alcott (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Rose in Bloom is the sequel to Eight Cousins.
    They Loved to Laugh by Kathryn Worth (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: similar situation of an orphan girl being raised in a family of boys
    Jack and Jill: A Village Story by Louisa May Alcott (Hollerama)

Eight Cousins or The Aunt-hill by Louisa May Alcott (1955) ( )
  AmphipodGirl | Oct 14, 2014 |
I recall reading and enjoying this as a child. I always meant to read more Alcott but I did not get to her famous Little Women. ( )
  antiquary | Jan 1, 2014 |
Summary: I always finish an Alcott with a sigh. She has been a great teacher for me and this book was no exception. Delicate Rose has been put in her uncles care and becomes hardy and happy though his :unorthodox" ways and the love of her seven boy cousins. I think that Alcott understands children and what they most need almost better than anyone.
Quotes: "Uncle, I have discovered what girls are made for...to take care of boys...and in helping seven lads you are unconsciously doing much to improve one lass."
"It does seem to me that someone ought to write stories that should be lively, natural and helpful-tales in which the English should be good, the morals pure, and the characters such as we can love in spite of the faults they may have."
"...and I mean Rose shall understand and respect her body so well that she won't dare to trifle with it as most women do." ( )
  6boysandme | Jul 31, 2013 |
recommended for: children of all ages

This is probably my second favorite Louisa May Alcott book (after Little Women.) At least it was when I was a kid. I remember envying Rose all those boy cousins; it seemed as though it would be so much fun to have so many built in boy playmates. And it’s yet another orphan story – I do have an “orphans” shelf on goodreads as I love books about orphans. I don’t remember this as a depressing or somber tale at all though.

On another note: I pulled out my copy of the book, and I’m very excited as I must still have my mother’s copy: have one published the year (1927) she was twelve; I read this for the first time when I was a few years younger than that. ( )
1 vote Lisa2013 | Apr 7, 2013 |
COTC Book Club selection for December 2010.

Read previously (many times) - listened to the Recorded Books cassette edition in January 2008. I was torn on how many stars to give this - I remember this title as one I've loved since childhood, but there's so many problems with it. Since I think the intended audience is children, I'm going to rate based on my previous view of it, but I'm struck by how much more annoying Rose is to listen to than to read about and by the casual racism in the story about Rose visiting her Uncle's warehouse of Chinese goods. In general I'm amazed at the faults I haven't noticed on previous readings; I think part of this is hearing it aloud and part is reading from a different age point. Uncle Alec was so smug and pompous most of the time I wanted to smack him, but I thought he was wonderful when I read this as a child. Everything is so moral and preachy - and Aunt Jessie, portrayed as the best and most sympathetic of the Aunts, burns the "thrilling" books that her two middle sons are reading. Book burning! And this didn't bother me? Now moving on to the sequel Rose in Bloom; we'll see if it stands the test of time (or age viewpoint) any better!

Re-read again for the book club discussion and it definitely holds up better through reading than listening. I can just breeze through the parts I don't like and give the sometimes twee dialogue a better tone in my head. I still like Rose in Bloom better though. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |

Louisa May Alcottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Becker, May LambertonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burd, Clara M.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Falls, C BIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hess, Erwin L.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ives, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maitland, SaraIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the many boys and girls whose letters it has been impossible to answer, this book is dedicated as a peace offering by their friend L.M. Alcott
Rose sat all alone in the big best parlor, with her little handkerchief laid ready to catch the first tear, for she was thinking of her troubles, and a shower was expected.

When orphaned Rose Campbell first meets her seven exuberant boy cousins she is overwhelmed. But her guardian, bachelor Uncle Alec, plans to turn this pale and sickly creature into a healthy, happy young woman. A formidable tribe of aunts watches closely as Alec puts into practice his unconventional ideas for the education of their niece. Gradually, through his guidance, and the multifarious scrapes she gets into with her cousins, Rose acquires courage, generosity and independence. Here, Louisa May Alcott gives a fascinating account of Victorian notions of girlhood, criticising much that she saw as silly and repressive. And, with her narrative zest and lively characterisation, creates a spirited portrait of her heroine's development.

After the death of her father, orphan Rose Campbell has no choice but to go and live at the 'Aunt Hill' with her six aunts and seven boy cousins. For someone who was used to a girl's boarding school, it all seems pretty overwhelming, especially since her guardian Uncle Alec makes her eat healthy things like oatmeal, and even tries to get her to give up her pretty dresses for more drab, sensible clothes. Will Rose ever get used to her Uncle's strange ideas and all her noisy relatives? Will there come a day when she can't imagine living anywhere else?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:00 -0400)

Left an orphan after her father's death, Rose goes to live with her six aunts and seven mischievous boy cousins. After living in a girls' boarding school, it all seems overwhelming.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,416,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible