Jack and Jill by Louisa May Alcott

Jack and Jill (original 1880; edition 1991)

by Louisa May Alcott

When friends Jack and Jill are injured in a sledding accident, their family and friends rally around them to help in their recovery.
Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Jack and Jill
Authors:Louisa May Alcott
Info:Harmondsworth : Penguin, 1991.
Collections:Your library, Read, Read this year, Working on
Rating:***
Tags:Fic, Childrens, !Sale:YS, __scanned

Jack and Jill by Louisa May Alcott (1880)

Cute, sentimental, rather preachy. There are some excellent bits - a lot of what the kids get up to is great, and the funeral is amazing on multiple levels, _despite_ the preachy bits in it. She does spend an awful lot of time talking to the reader about how kids should be good and compassionate and keep their promises (even if it's silly - Jack and the money, yes (though poorly handled), Jack and the boat just silly) and how religion and temperance are wonderful things and and and. I don't disagree with most of what she says, but I kept having to remind myself of that when her sententious tones rubbed me the wrong way. It's possible that if I had first read this as a child, as I did Eight Cousins, I would love it and disregard the preachiness; reading it for the first time now, it's only tolerable. I doubt I'll reread. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Oct 19, 2019 |
I have always loved Alcott's Little Women series and I also like the Rose in Blood duology, so I was very excited to find this never-heard-of novel in a second hand bookshop. But it was disappointing. So preachy! I mean, all her books are, but they generally have a good story too. Sort of. This one was just boring preachiness. I know it was set a long time ago, but conversations in particular seemed very stilted and unrealistic. ( )
  Griffin22 | Jul 24, 2018 |
I was interested in Jack and Jill by Louisa May Alcott because the only book I’ve read by her is Little Women, so I wanted to see what her other works contained. It’s fairly similar in style and content; it’s a realistic fiction narrative about growing up and always striving to be a better person. I love the characters she follows in this series, especially the titular characters: Jack and Jill. They are two friends who become seriously injured during a sledding accident. Through their families’ and friends’ help, they’re able to recover and learn how to be more careful.

The main themes in this are learning how to be kind to others and put their happiness before your own, as well as learning how to take responsibility for yourself. While it’s not a thrilling book, I found it to be enjoyable, since the characters are so likeable and relatable. Their friendships with each other and how they take care of each other is incredibly heartwarming, and it’s a pleasant, happy, feel-good read. However, it is also a product of its time and does have some antiquated ideals; it is also a quite a bit more preachy than Little Women was, but it at the very least mostly preaches kindness and doing right by others, which are certainly great qualities for anyone to learn. On the whole, Jack and Jill is a nice middle grade coming of age story.

Also posted on Purple People Readers. ( )
  sedelia | Apr 27, 2018 |
I remember reading this book as a kid - probably pre-teen - and I LOVED it. I had a bunch of classic books (probably abridged) that I devoured in those years, and I remember reading this in one sitting and really enjoying it.

I was really disappointed in re-reading this as an adult.

The plot / story line is just so dull & slow moving. There are parts that are terrific, and parts that are terrible, but all in all, the plot would have been better served as a long short story, and not as a novella.

The book is obviously a product of its time, understandably so, but as a "modern" girl, I cringed through most of it, and yelled at the girls in the book. It's very preachy as well - though, the morals presented here are morals that are sadly lacking in today's society, so the fact that it's preachy is not necessarily a bad thing.

I skimmed through a good chunk of the middle, because I just could not care less what "drama" was happening next. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
Written with many, many lessons for both children and adults, this tells the story of how a sledding accident affects the lives of Jack and Janey (Jill).

Too good to be true Sentimentality, baby talk, and heavy handed Temperance at all costs sometimes gets in the way of enjoying the high spirits,
joy of making dangerous choices, and sheer fun of friendships.

Lovely gems, like "...found it easier to feel love and gratitude than to put them into verse" make for good introspective reading.

Death gets tossed in as yet another lesson. ( )
  m.belljackson | Jul 16, 2016 |

Louisa May Alcottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ives, RuthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the schoolmates of Ellsworth Devens, whose lovely character will not soon be forgotten, this village story is affectionately inscribed by their friend The Author.
"Clear the lulla!" was the general cry on a bright December afternoon, when all the boys and girls of Harmony Village were out enjoying the first good snow of the season.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,917,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible