Colton 911: Baby's Bodyguard

by Lisa Childs

Series: Colton 911 (book 2), The Coltons (93)

313,363,745 (4)None

Good book, second in the series. The tension continues to build as this book opens with the discovery of yet another body. The Whisperwood PD is already stretched thin because of the discovery of the first body, plus the hurricane recovery. Forrest agrees to help with the investigation as he's currently at loose ends thanks to the injury that forced his early retirement from the Austin PD. With years of experience, both as a detective and working cold cases, he is determined to bring the killer to justice. When a third body turns up at the home of single mother Rae, and she and her child are threatened, Forrest's protective instincts kick into high gear.

I liked both Rae and Forrest. Both have been hurt by those they loved, making them wary of trusting their hearts to anyone, but from the moment they met, there was a connection between them. Forrest suffers from some insecurity, thanks to his injury and being let down by the one who should have stood by him. He tries to keep Rae at a distance, believing that she pities him. At the same time, Rae has been let down by the men in her life so many times that she isn't looking for anything long-term. Her son is the focus of her life, and she stubbornly believes that she can handle anything on her own.

I enjoyed the development of the relationship between Forrest and Rae. Their encounter at his brother's wedding was awkward as he misunderstood her overtures, but he couldn't forget her. Though initially somewhat suspicious of Rae once he discovered the body, it didn't take long for his protective instincts to rise up. Rae clung to her independence until her baby was in danger, then reached out to Forrest. I loved seeing them grow closer and begin to trust each other. There were some adorable scenes of Forrest and baby Connor - especially the late-night one with the diaper change. The attraction between them also continued to build. But it took nearly losing each other for them to realize how much they needed to be together. I liked the ending and how Forrest showed Rae his vulnerability, and the difference her belief in him made to his view of the future.

The suspense was terrific. Running through the series is the investigation into the bodies that turn up around Whisperwood. It is Forrest's job to investigate and track down the killer. His frustration is evident with the lack of leads. I found the reaction of one victim's brother very interesting. His anger seemed a little excessive and Forrest felt he was hiding something about his sister. As the book went on I found myself developing a suspect. It will be interesting to see if I am right about this person. At the same time, Rae began receiving threats against her and Connor. When Forrest stepped in to protect them, he also came under attack. The tension mounted with each attack, especially as there were a few bits from the bad guy's point of view. The final confrontation was a nail biter with an unexpected twist to it. I can't wait to read the rest of the series. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Oct 16, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

Colton 911 (book 2)

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,170,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible