Painless Poetry by Mary Elizabeth

Painless Poetry

by Mary Elizabeth

781219,767 (4)None

Poetry is something I sort of grew into. When I was in school, it was a nuisance that kept turning up in Reading and English classes. The only poem I ever liked was "Jabberwocky". (Though somehow I managed to get bits of poems stuck in my memory.) The rest was boring confusion--iambic pentameters and all that. In my adult years, however, I grew to appreciate the poetic word as I let hymn lyrics and psalms sink into my heart and mind. So when I picked up this book as part of my homeschooling reading, I was delighted. "If you think poetry is dull and difficult," the cover claims, "open this book -- and think again!" I thought that if I only had this book in high school, I would have had a much higher opinion of poetry. Well, I then opened the book... and had to think again. the book isn't bad. You really should check it out. But while it's clear writing and light hearted illustrations do a good job of presenting the world of poetry, it is a textbook after all. Eventually Ms. Elizabeth gets to the iambic part and my eyes glazed over. Oh, well. I'm trusting that all the good poems packed into the book will help my kids get over all the analysis sections. And if not, well, I can always hope that they'll grow to appreciate poetry, just like I did.
--J. ( )
  Hamburgerclan | Jun 5, 2007 |

Mary Elizabethprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hamilton, Lauriesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Reading and writing poetry as a class assignment can be a rewarding experience--especially when it's approached in a spirit of fun. This book explains how poets use words imaginatively in rhymed and metered verse as well as free verse. Poems can be humorous or serious, long or very short, joyful or sad--and this instructive, yet fun-to-read book points the way toward composing and reading poems of all kinds. It's filled with examples from Homer through today. All titles in Barron's Painless Series are written especially for classroom use for middle-school students.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:43 -0400)

Introduces reader to enjoying reading and writing poetry. Suitable for high school students.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,552,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible