Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult

Plain Truth (2000)

by Jodi Picoult

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (AllieAldy)
    AllieAldy: Another phenomenal book by Jodi Picoult, draws you in and is as suspenseful as My Sister's Keeper.
    Agnes of God; a drama by John Pielmeier (Cecilturtle)

English (142)  German (2)  All languages (144)
A baby is secretly birthed in a barn, and the mother begs for God to make it not be true. When she wakes from her swoon the baby has disappeared and is later found dead. A young unwed Amish woman is arrested and charged with murder, even though she denies she ever gave birth - despite all medical evidence. Does she really have amnesia? Was the baby killed, or did it die of natural causes? What really happened!!

The story revolves around the Amish woman and her lawyer who goes to live in the community to supervise her as part of the bail provisions. It is partly set on the farm and partly in the courtroom. I enjoyed the details of Amish life and not knowing, right to the end, what really happened that night (I guessed wrong). ( )
  Griffin22 | Jun 17, 2019 |
The discovery of a dead newborn baby in an Amish farmer's barn sets up the action in this well-written and thought-provoking novel.

Picoult's strength is in creating believable characters faced with no-win moral scenarios, and she repeats that theme well here without falling into formula. I did have a bit of trouble differentiating between the woman detective and the woman lawyer -- it was well past the halfway point in the book before I stopped thinking "now, which one is that?" when one returned to the scene after being out of the action for a while. She could have used one more run-through of the galleys by a "fresh" eye -- in one scene a team of horses suddenly becomes a team of mules on the next page; in a tense courtroom scene a witness makes a statement the reader (and the witness, and the attorney involved) know to be false, and nothing in the narrative addresses this perjury. Since the attorney at this point has been very, very careful to utilize vague language and misdirection to avoid such issues, it's jarring to see the statement -- which really has no direct bearing on the outcome of the trial -- pass without comment or justification.

Points deducted for these quibbles, however, have to be given back for Picoult's presentation of the Amish community as they attempt to navigate the realities of the 21st century while still remaining true to their moral core. She goes far beyond describing the outward "quaintness" of beards and buggies to delve into the heart and soul of the Plain people. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Dec 14, 2018 |
Didn't disappoint ( )
  michelynn2016 | Nov 20, 2018 |
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would! I got bored with Jodi Picoult a while back -- her books were all starting to sound the same. Maybe the break I took from her was a good idea.

This is the story of Katie Fisher, a young Amish woman who is accused of murdering the new-born infant she gave birth to in secret, without being married. It's an interesting portrayal of the Amish faith, showing them to be more forgiving of youthful transgressions than most fiction I've read about them.

Katie is represented in court by her cousin-by-marriage, a high-powered big city lawyer named Ellie. Ellie has desperately wanted children, and in her late 30s, thinks the opportunity has passed her by. This makes it especially difficult for her to defend Katie.

The character development is good and the plot moves along well. A very enjoyable read. ( )
  LynnB | Apr 20, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book very much. JP is always a good bet for a fast read that will keep me interested all the way through. I often choose one of her books to read either when I've had several disappointing reads in a row or when I've just finished something really dense.

This one is about an Amish girl who may have killed her newborn just after birth, and about the lawyer who surprised herself when she took the case, getting involved with the Plain folk in ways she never imagined. ( )
  SoubhiKiewiet | Mar 20, 2018 |
For my dad, Myron Picoult, who taught me to be an original.

There are not many men in the world who can sneeze like a duck, spy hales of bay, make very bad puns...and cherish their daughters so completely.

I love you.
She had often dreamed of her little sister floating dead beneath the surface of the ice, but tonight, for the first time, she envisioned Hannah clawing to get out.

A shocking murder shatters the picturesque calm of Pennsylvania's Amish country, and tests the heart and soul of the lawyer who steps in to defend the young woman at the centre of the storm...The discovery of a dead infant in an Amish barn shakes Lancaster County to its core. But the police investigation leads to a more shocking disclosure: circumstantial evidence suggests that eighteen year old Katie Fisher, an unmarried Amish woman believed to be the newborn's mother, took the child's life. When Ellie Hathaway, a disillusioned big-city attorney comes to Paradise, Pennsylvania to defend Katie, two cutures collide, and, for the first time in her high-profile career, Ellie faces a system of justice very different from her own. Delving deep inside the world of those who live 'plain', Ellie must find a way to reach Katie on her terms. And as she unravels a tangled murder case, Ellie also looks deep within, to confront her own fears and desires when a man from her past re-enters her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:06 -0400)

The discovery of a dead baby under a pile of old blankets in Aaron Fisher's barn sets off a scandal in Amish country and an investigation that could implicate Fisher's eighteen-year-old daughter.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,538,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible