Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult

Plain Truth (original 2000; edition 2000)

by Jodi Picoult

4,904None937 (3.87)105
Member:Radaghast
Title:Plain Truth
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Atria (2004), Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*1/2
Tags:Picoult, mystery, Amish, crime drama, courtroom drama

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult (2000)

2007 (15) Amish (266) baby (16) book club (20) contemporary (14) contemporary fiction (28) courtroom drama (18) crime (22) drama (20) family (38) fiction (405) infanticide (41) Jodi Picoult (35) law (23) lawyers (19) murder (79) mystery (105) novel (39) own (22) Pennsylvania (35) Picoult (18) pregnancy (16) read (74) read in 2008 (15) religion (21) suspense (14) teen pregnancy (27) to-read (53) trial (17) unread (15)
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (AllieAldy)
    AllieAldy: Another phenomenal book by Jodi Picoult, draws you in and is as suspenseful as My Sister's Keeper.
    Agnes of God: A Drama by John Pielmeier (Cecilturtle)

English (127)  German (2)  All languages (129)
Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult

For most of us personal achievement is a goal in and of itself. For the Amish being a member of the community is what is important. These two conflicting world views collide when attorney Ellie Hathaway agrees to defend Katie Fisher, her distant 18-year-old Amish cousin, against the charge that she killed premature newborn infant son.
Katie denies both the murder & the birth which means she is either mentally unstable or lying. Given her religious faith the latter is unbelievable and as Ellie gets to know Katie the former becomes less and less believable as well. Where does the truth lie?
Although this question is answered by the end of the book, Plain Truth is less a mystery than it is a fascinating work of fiction about the Amish life as compared to the secular life led by Ellie Hathaway. In order to keep Katie out of jail pending the trial she agrees to take custody of Katie which means living on the Fisher family's farm and integrating into some of their "Plain" ways.
This premise does not come across as contrived in the context of the story. The narrative, the main and secondary characters, and the setting of the "Plain" culture are seamlessly integrated to create a very strong work of fiction. ( )
1 vote rainpebble | Jan 30, 2014 |
For many of Picoult's books it seemed to me her subject matter differed dramatically from one book to the next. While she's not written of the Amish before, it has finally become apparent to me her consistent theme -family and relationships in the most difficult of circumstances. In this story, an Amish girl becomes pregnant, delivers alone in a barn, and the newborn ends up dead. Compelling. ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 26, 2014 |
Reading this book actually made me do further research into the Amish way of life. I find it quite fascinating. ( )
  Emelymac | Jan 15, 2014 |
Picoult's portrayal of this Amish community struck me as respectful and well-researched, yet free of sentimentality. The mystery kept me guessing until literally the last page. ( )
  LudieGrace | Dec 4, 2013 |
I found this to be a very good read.

The description of the Amish way of life was fascinating. I enjoyed the characters and understanding their way of life which is so simple. While they are rooted in faith it was hard to understand the way they turned their back on people who make mistakes or lose their way. Very interesting story that detailed many characters who had to make difficult choices. Well written and kept me engaged through to the end. ( )
  tinkerbellkk | Sep 14, 2013 |
For my dad, Myron Picoult, who taught me to be an original.

There are not many men in the world who can sneeze like a duck, spy hales of bay, make very bad puns...and cherish their daughters so completely.

I love you.
She had often dreamed of her little sister floating dead beneath the surface of the ice, but tonight, for the first time, she envisioned Hannah clawing to get out.

A shocking murder shatters the picturesque calm of Pennsylvania's Amish country, and tests the heart and soul of the lawyer who steps in to defend the young woman at the centre of the storm...The discovery of a dead infant in an Amish barn shakes Lancaster County to its core. But the police investigation leads to a more shocking disclosure: circumstantial evidence suggests that eighteen year old Katie Fisher, an unmarried Amish woman believed to be the newborn's mother, took the child's life. When Ellie Hathaway, a disillusioned big-city attorney comes to Paradise, Pennsylvania to defend Katie, two cutures collide, and, for the first time in her high-profile career, Ellie faces a system of justice very different from her own. Delving deep inside the world of those who live 'plain', Ellie must find a way to reach Katie on her terms. And as she unravels a tangled murder case, Ellie also looks deep within, to confront her own fears and desires when a man from her past re-enters her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:02 -0400)

The discovery of a dead baby under a pile of old blankets in Aaron Fisher's barn sets off a scandal in Amish country and an investigation that could implicate Fisher's eighteen-year-old daughter.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible