Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult

Plain Truth (original 2000; edition 2000)

by Jodi Picoult

Member:Radaghast
Title:Plain Truth
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Atria (2004), Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*1/2
Tags:Picoult, mystery, Amish, crime drama, courtroom drama

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult (2000)

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (AllieAldy)
    AllieAldy: Another phenomenal book by Jodi Picoult, draws you in and is as suspenseful as My Sister's Keeper.
    Agnes of God; a drama by John Pielmeier (Cecilturtle)

English (132)  German (2)  All languages (134)
This book starts with a brief, tragic and slightly confusing scene when a baby is born to a young umarried Amish woman, and then vanishes.. leading to an arrest for potential murder.

Ellie, a lawyer taking a break, finds herself caught up in the case; not only defending the young mother, but living in the Amish home for some months in advance. She has to adapt to Amish culture which includes working on the farm and living without electricity.

The last third of the book deals with the court case itself. Although nothing new transpires, it makes fascinating reading, giving insights into the whole legal process, in stark contrast to the gentle, caring Amish community.

There are many twists and turns to the storyline, some of which I had expected, while others were a surprise. The plotting is meticulous, the people believable, and despite not much happening in terms of action, I was hooked by the time I was about a third of the way through, and finished quite a long book in just three days.

The ending is perhaps rather abrupt, but overall I liked 'Plain Truth' very much.

Four and a half stars would be fairer. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
A nice mystery (who killed the baby) in a context which examines the beliefs and lifestyles of followers of the Amish faith. Conflicts, other than a baby death, center around family relationships when some family members decide to leave the Amish faith and are then shunned and ignored by other family members. I found the frequent explanations of Amish tenets to be a bit repetitious. This caused me to skim over portions of the book as my mind said "yep, I know what is going to be said next." Picoults writing style is artistic in its own right, independent of context. Skimming certain pages did not allow me to fully appreciate the author's art.

I will read more books by this author to validate my opinion of Picoult's writing, but the slow pace and context of this work could only elicit three stars from me. ( )
  ajarn7086 | Jan 23, 2016 |
Please consider this is the first book I've read by Picoult if you read the following observation: this is not a mystery. Aside from it (the "big reveal" at the end) being quite obvious, it was really just a romance novel dressed up in a mystery.

I did give it three stars; I had no objection with the writing itself - it's not a bad book if this is the type of story you enjoy. Other than the fact that I feel I was duped into reading a romance, my biggest issue were the over-the-top characterizations of the players in the story (and I'm not talking about the Amish characters).

Again, I have not read any other Picoult novels, but I would guess that if you were/are a fan, you would like this. ( )
  Amy_Jesionowski | Nov 3, 2015 |
very good, LMIC Book Club, Unwed Amish girl killed her newborn…or did she? ( )
  nancynova | Sep 12, 2015 |
A quick read, predictable (down to the 'twist' at the end, typical of Jodi Picoult), but still interesting. One issue I had was that certain things were left unexplained, or seemed unnecessary. For example, one character says she sees ghosts, and happens to meet a ghost hunter and date him, but nothing ever comes of it, and it is never explained to others that this is how they met. It seemed like a stretch. However, for the most part it was a decent read; the book moved along at a decent pace, keeping the reader going to see what would happen next.
  GretchenLynn | Aug 12, 2015 |
For my dad, Myron Picoult, who taught me to be an original.

There are not many men in the world who can sneeze like a duck, spy hales of bay, make very bad puns...and cherish their daughters so completely.

I love you.
She had often dreamed of her little sister floating dead beneath the surface of the ice, but tonight, for the first time, she envisioned Hannah clawing to get out.

A shocking murder shatters the picturesque calm of Pennsylvania's Amish country, and tests the heart and soul of the lawyer who steps in to defend the young woman at the centre of the storm...The discovery of a dead infant in an Amish barn shakes Lancaster County to its core. But the police investigation leads to a more shocking disclosure: circumstantial evidence suggests that eighteen year old Katie Fisher, an unmarried Amish woman believed to be the newborn's mother, took the child's life. When Ellie Hathaway, a disillusioned big-city attorney comes to Paradise, Pennsylvania to defend Katie, two cutures collide, and, for the first time in her high-profile career, Ellie faces a system of justice very different from her own. Delving deep inside the world of those who live 'plain', Ellie must find a way to reach Katie on her terms. And as she unravels a tangled murder case, Ellie also looks deep within, to confront her own fears and desires when a man from her past re-enters her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:06 -0400)

The discovery of a dead baby under a pile of old blankets in Aaron Fisher's barn sets off a scandal in Amish country and an investigation that could implicate Fisher's eighteen-year-old daughter.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,824,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible