Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult

Plain Truth (original 2000; edition 2000)

by Jodi Picoult

Member:Radaghast
Title:Plain Truth
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Atria (2004), Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*1/2
Tags:Picoult, mystery, Amish, crime drama, courtroom drama

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult (2000)

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (AllieAldy)
    AllieAldy: Another phenomenal book by Jodi Picoult, draws you in and is as suspenseful as My Sister's Keeper.
    Agnes of God; a drama by John Pielmeier (Cecilturtle)

English (136)  German (2)  All (138)
A mystery revolving around the murder of an infant in an Amish community that brings together seemingly opposite characters in a young Amish woman struggling with her progression into adulthood and a big city lawyer feeling disillusioned with her work and lifestyle. An engaging story line with captivating characters, but there were a few too many subplots that distracted from the author's purpose followed by an abrupt plot twist in the final few pages that came across as clumsy. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
I had to admit.. it was a little hard for me to latch on to the story at the beginning. Similar to what I thought of The Descendants, I found it a bit hard to read. The only reason I kept at it was so I could finish it as soon as possible and get on to the next book I had in my stash.

If I was truthful, the only thing I looked forward to was how Ellie was going to present her defense. I know Jodi (Picoult)is acclaimed for her detailed court scenes and her extensive knowledge of law (in my opinion, anyways). But I have to say, it was a little disappointing. Not in the sense of the trial, though. Jodi never ceases to amaze with her knowledge. I didn't really get the story, but then again, it might just be me.

The thing that DID make an impact on me, though, was the description of the Amish life. As I was reading the book, I got interested in their way of life; how family is of utmost importance, and how unique their idea of blending in (as opposed to 'our world' where everyone wants to stand out). I felt eager to try and live the Amish life myself. Being the social network freak that I am, I think it would be good for me and a good break from it, as much as I'm literally on Facebook almost the whole day. Another thing I know I would take some times getting used to was waking up so early and have literally the entire day filled with doing chores, under the hot sun, with no air conditioning. Coming from a person who perspires like a freaking pig. (I'm not even kidding. >
Anyways..

Story-wise, I'm just glad I finished the book. It's definitely one I wouldn't re-read again, though. I've even decided that I'd take a break from Picoult books for a good long while. But who knows? I may just purchase another Picoult series in the future. ( )
  KrystleLow | Oct 27, 2016 |
This was an intriguing read and it gave a wonderful insight into the Amish culture. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jul 4, 2016 |
Plain Truth is the reason I've only read one Jodi Picoult book. I got caught up in what I saw as inconsistencies was Katie's pregnancy 10 months long? Was anything but hearsay and speculation presented at the trial? and that kept me from getting caught up in the story itself. The ending wasn't convincing (for me, at least) but by then I didn't really care. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Very interesting look into the Amish life,but as with most Jodi Picoult books I was very disappointed in the ending. ( )
  jldhuse | Jun 7, 2016 |
For my dad, Myron Picoult, who taught me to be an original.

There are not many men in the world who can sneeze like a duck, spy hales of bay, make very bad puns...and cherish their daughters so completely.

I love you.
She had often dreamed of her little sister floating dead beneath the surface of the ice, but tonight, for the first time, she envisioned Hannah clawing to get out.

A shocking murder shatters the picturesque calm of Pennsylvania's Amish country, and tests the heart and soul of the lawyer who steps in to defend the young woman at the centre of the storm...The discovery of a dead infant in an Amish barn shakes Lancaster County to its core. But the police investigation leads to a more shocking disclosure: circumstantial evidence suggests that eighteen year old Katie Fisher, an unmarried Amish woman believed to be the newborn's mother, took the child's life. When Ellie Hathaway, a disillusioned big-city attorney comes to Paradise, Pennsylvania to defend Katie, two cutures collide, and, for the first time in her high-profile career, Ellie faces a system of justice very different from her own. Delving deep inside the world of those who live 'plain', Ellie must find a way to reach Katie on her terms. And as she unravels a tangled murder case, Ellie also looks deep within, to confront her own fears and desires when a man from her past re-enters her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:06 -0400)

The discovery of a dead baby under a pile of old blankets in Aaron Fisher's barn sets off a scandal in Amish country and an investigation that could implicate Fisher's eighteen-year-old daughter.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,152,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible