Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities by…

Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities (edition 2005)

by Alexandra Robbins

1,009None8,466 (3.21)15
Member:jenniferb
Title:Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities
Authors:Alexandra Robbins
Info:Hyperion (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Tags:women, culture, alexandra robbins

Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities by Alexandra Robbins

Enjoyed & am finally donating as I need to cull bookshelves before moving. ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |
I have mixed feelings about this book. I'm a sucker for an exposé, even if it is sensationalized a little bit. That being said, I just don't know how much of this was true, to any degree.

As I was reading, I got the distinct feeling that she just wove together entirely fictional stories based on the hundreds of sorority sisters she interviewed. (Which, I'm curious how she swindled so many of them to agree to interviews when there is an entire chapter in the book about the Nationals war on media and how they're forbidden to speak to journalists..)

She did seem very slighted in her view of white v. non-white sororities. She played up everything catty, nasty, illegal and vicious that the 'traditional' Greek houses (white) did but downplayed them enormously when it came to all the multicultural houses. (The paper bag test, excuuuuse me?!) I think all the sororities have their pros/cons and am not really a fan of them myself.

Quite a few reviewers on here have been slamming the author pretty intensely (how funny that they usually say they were sorority members themselves), saying that it isn't just those on Greek Row who participate in shenanigans. Robbins reiterates that exhaustively throughout the book, so I have a feeling that the negative reviews were largely written by people who didn't actually finish the book.

Overall, the writing was dull and relatively lifeless. The last page of the book says you can go to her website for updates on the 4 girls she "followed". You cannot. Her website functions similarly to a former Geocities debacle and has no updates on anyone/thing. ( )
  tealightful | Sep 24, 2013 |
ok ( )
  Mamajeanne | Aug 23, 2013 |
Well, I am certainly still glad I didn't join a sorority. I learned a little bit about the difference between white and black sororities. And that the sorority system is messed up. But other than that, it wasn't so interesting. It almost felt like something I would read for a class. ( )
  JessieP73 | Apr 6, 2013 |
First saw this book at the store. First heard about this book years back while walking to class behind a couple sorority girls who were disdainful of the author for being "totally uncool" to "spy" on the sororities...my favorite was when one of them said "did you see her picture in the back? she's not that pretty." I don't think they read it. The Greek system is not portrayed as being bad - as with anything, certain elements concentrated in particular chapters or even a single class year sucked and made everyone else appear terrible. Describes herd mentality, the pressure to fit in, how personal morals are bent in the face of general approval. Of course, there is positive with the Greekie people, but that doesn't sell as many books. ( )
  EhEh | Apr 3, 2013 |

Now in paperback, the New York Times bestseller-with over 91,000 copies in print-that takes you behind closed doors to see what really goes on in America's sororities. Ever wonder what sorority life is really like In Pledged, bestselling author Alexandra Robbins goes undercover to expose the dark side of collegiate sisterhood-the psychological abuse, hazing rituals, and widespread body image disorders-while at the same time introducing us to many of the intelligent, successful women within its ranks. The result is a compelling sociological exploration of the powerful influence that these organizations wield over young women today. With its fly-on-the-wall voyeurism and remarkable insight, Pledged paints a sharp-eyed portrait of the intriguing and paradoxical world of modern-day sororities.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:34 -0400)

A look inside the world of sorority life offers an eye-opening view of the drugs, psychological abuse, promiscuity, racism, violence, and other problems that are rampant among young women in a typical sorority.

Alexandra Robbins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,471,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible