Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult

Salem Falls (edition 2002)

by Jodi Picoult

Member:MissYvonnee
Title:Salem Falls
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Washington Square Press (2002), Paperback, 464 pages

Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult

This is not one of Picoult's most popular novels for the very reason it is, in my opinion, one of her best, and that's the messed-up character of Jack St. Bride. He makes me want to wring his neck, doing genuinely stupid things when, with his history especially, he should know better. Then in the next scene he makes me sad for him. What better evidence exists that a character has come to life?

I haven't read it in several years, so I might be more critical of it now, but this book helped teach me how moving a badly flawed protagonist can be and I have used that lesson in my own writing ever since (though I generally try to give my characters a bit more common sense). ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
I do believe that this was my first time reading Jodi Picoult. I'd gotten several of her books while thrifting and they had just been sitting on my bookshelf, collecting dust. I decided to go out on a whim and read one, not really knowing if I'd like it or not.

At first, I was very confused because there were over ten POV's in the book, and also various time periods. But, once I got in the groove of that pattern, it worked. Each character had their own voice and it made sense. The flashback sequences happened at the right time and really helped move the story along.

Jack was an interesting character that I wanted to root for. I believed him the entire time. When we got the flashback that Catherine had recanted, but that they didn't let her go through with it...and instead gave Jack the plea bargain... I felt so bad for him. He had all the promise in the world of doing great things, but it all ended. It's extremely unfortunate because I truly believe that it does happen occasionally.

Addie was something else. She cannot let go of facing the fact that her daughter, Chloe, is dead. I was extremely shocked when she told Jack that she had been raped and that's how Chloe was conceived. I didn't like the turmoil in her about whether or not she believed and loved Jack or not. She shouldn't have needed the validation of going to see Catherine even though it may have helped the case in the end.

Gillian needs to get back in therapy. she is cutting the bottom of her feet, trying to bring back her dead mother, and her father is raping her. I definitely caught on to the nature of that relationship REAL quick and I knew that the semen on her thigh was from Amos No wonder she did what she did, when she's been through that.

What I really want to know is was it just Charlie that raped Addie? Did Amos do it too? Who was Chloe's father. Should Addie assume that Amos may be neglecting or abusing his child? I just have so many left over questions.

Overall, I was satisfied with the book, even with the Law & Order SVU ending. I may even read Jodi Picoult again. ( )
  itswawawhitney | Jun 19, 2018 |
Typical Jodi Picoult book; raises some questions and talking points but ends on a positive note. ( )
  LindaWeeks | May 14, 2018 |
Jodi Picoult is an amazing writer. The topics in the book are very controversial, but the last paragraph in the book were a shocker. ( )
  NanaDebs | Jan 9, 2017 |
Jack St Bride is freed from jail after serving 8 months for having a sexual relationship with a pupil and unable to go by to teaching ends up as a worker in a diner in Salem Falls. There he finds Addie the owner and gradually they both let down their guard and get closer.

Meanwhile a group of girls want to be witches and cast spells and when the two worlds collide nothing can ever be taken for granted again.

I really enjoyed this book with Jack's story told in flash-back helping us to see what kind of man he is and how far he goes.

The characterisation is very good even of the more minor characters and although you know what you want the result to be it keeps you guessing as to what it will be right until the end. The twist at the end was a surprise although in hindsight the clues were there.

I did get annoyed that so many words were hyphenated when it wasn't needed. It also showed clearly that messing with witchcraft is not a good idea.

Look forward to reading more of her books. ( )
  Northern_Light | Dec 20, 2016 |
Om utgivelsen:

Jodi Picoult har skrevet en besettende fortelling om fordommer og manipulering. Med stor psykologisk innsikt skildrer hun mellommenneskelige relasjoner og familieforhold –både slik de ser ut, og slik de etter hvert viser seg å være.

Jack St. Bride er høy, pen og svært kunnskapsrik, men det fører ikke nødvendigvis lykken med seg. En gang var han en avholdt lærer og fotballtrener på en jenteskole - inntil en av hans elever forelsket seg i ham skapte problemer for ham. Etter et opphold i fengsel bestemmer han seg for å begrave fortiden og starte et nytt liv. Ved en tilfeldighet havner han i den lille søvnige landsbyen Salem Falls i New Hampshire, der han får seg jobb som oppvasker på et spisested. Men ryktene om Jacks fortid sprer seg raskt i den lille byen. Og bak de idylliske fasadene viser det seg å være flere som har noe å skjule.

To Tim, with love - so that the whole world will know how much you mean to me.
Several miles into his journey, Jack St. Bride decided to give up his former life.

Love can redeem a man...but secrets and lies can condemn him.

A handsome stranger comes to the sleepy New England town of Salem Falls in hopes of burying his past: Once a teacher at a girls' prep school, Jack St. Bride was destroyed when a student's crush sparked a powder keg of accusation. Now, washing dishes for Addie Peabody at the Do-Or-Diner, he slips quietly into his new routine, and Addie finds this unassuming man fitting easily inside her heart. But amid the rustic calm of Salem Falls, a quartet of teenage girls harbor dark secrets -- and they maliciously target Jack with a shattering allegation. Now, at the center of a modern-day witch hunt, Jack is forced once again to proclaim his innocence: to a town searching for answers, to a justice system where truth becomes a slippery concept written in shades of gray, and to the woman who has come to love him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:16 -0400)

Robbed of his teaching career and reputation by a student's false accusations, Jack St. Bride is struggling to rebuild his life, but fresh accusations of rape by teenage girls from his former school threaten to destroy him again.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,411,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible