Life as It Comes by Anne-Laure Bondoux

Life as It Comes

by Anne-Laure Bondoux

50None232,122 (3.29)None

I really liked this book because I haven’t read anything exactly life it before. It has a lot of drama in it. I enjoyed the was Mado and Patty were able to bond. And now Patty stared to act more mature and take care of Robinson. This book was good if you were looking for a sad yet romantic, but also dramatic book. I read this book because a friend recommended it to me.
  edspicer | May 19, 2013 |
It is about life and has very realistic thins in it. It is very inspiring too. I read this book because it’s about life and it seemed interesting.
  edspicer | Mar 30, 2013 |
This book was entertaining enough, but I found it to be an unrealistic work of realistic fiction. In theory, everything that happened in the book could happen all at the same time in real life, but it just wouldn't. Mado, the main character's parents die in a car accident. She and her sister, Patty, go to the cottage together where their family went every year, and they meet two boys around their ages. Then after only six days, they both fall in love and are brokenhearted when the boys have to leave. Then, Patty, who was pregnant, has her baby and takes off, leaving it with helpless Mado. Mado calls the baby's father up, he comes to get them, and they begin a search for irresponsible, immature Patty. They find her eventually and everything works itself out. Patty and the father of her child work out a custody arrangement, Patty continues supporting Mado, and Mado gets to visit the boys she fell for. The book pissed me off, firstly, because of Patty's selfishness and how no one was able to stay angry with her in spite of it, and secondly, because it was really wasn't "life as it comes." The book's unrealistic turn of events made it hard to relate to. ( )
  MickTheChick | Jul 12, 2010 |
Reviewed by Jocelyn Pearce for TeensReadToo.com

Mado and Patty are sisters. Now that their parents are gone, killed in a car crash on their way to the family's vacation home, they're the only family they've got. Still, though, they're very different people. LIFE AS IT COMES is about their life together after the accident.

Patty is her younger sister's legal guardian, and they're doing the best they can together. However, life is further complicated when Patty reveals that she is several months pregnant. If the social workers find out, they might put Mado into foster care, not expecting a twenty-year-old to be able to care for a baby and a teenager. But what can they do?

LIFE AS IT COMES is a lovely, sad, hopeful novel about life, loss, love, family, and growing up. The translation from the French is, as far as I can tell, done quite excellently; the writing style flows wonderfully and is completely absorbing. The very well-done relationships of the fully fleshed-out and interesting characters give the story remarkable depth.

This is one that will stay with readers long after the final page. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 12, 2009 |
This was a book I had read on the daily email list that I am on, and it seemed intriguing enough that I wanted to finish it. Two sisters are living alone after their parents were killed in an accident in France. The older sister is actually much more irresponsible and flighty, as is proved when she tells her younger sister that she is pregnant. However, there are a lot of lies, and it ends up that her sister is barely able to take care of herself. Having been through childbirth, the risk of giving birth in the mountains without phone reception gives me the chills. But the book makes it seem clean and fairly easy. The older sister, Patty, then abandons the newborn baby and her younger sister - barely 16! Because she doesn't feel capable of taking care of it. This is really the story of Mado's love for her sister, even through everything, and the little boy that Mado learns to love, even though he is not hers. An interesting book, if not exactly realistic. ( )
  59Square | Sep 19, 2009 |

Sisters with nothing in common? That's Mado and Patty.

Studious and responsible, 15-year-old Mado is the family brain. Patty, on the other hand, is a carefree 20-year-old party girl who lives on her own and has plenty of boyfriends. The two are following divergent paths . . . until their parents die in a car accident and a family court judge reluctantly appoints Patty as her sister's guardian.

Now these two improbable siblings face the challenges of growing up together—but it's Mado who quickly assumes the big sister's role. And it's not a role she particularly wants—especially after Patty announces that she's several months pregnant. . . .

Anne-Laure Bondoux writes with insight, humor, and poignancy about the bonds between sisters—and the challenges of everyday life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:35 -0400)

After their parents are killed in a car accident, sisters Mado, fifteen, and Patty, twenty, try to cope, but when the irresponsible and impulsive Patty gets pregnant and expects Mado to take charge of everything, life becomes increasingly difficult.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible