A Warning by Anonymous

A Warning (edition 2019)

by Anonymous (Author)

An unprecedented behind-the-scenes portrait of the Trump presidency from the anonymous senior official whose first words of warning about the president rocked the nation's capital. --
Member:PhonyGal
Title:A Warning
Authors:Anonymous (Author)
Info:Twelve (2019), 272 pages
Tags:Read in 2019

A Warning by Anonymous

I’m really glad to be finished with this book. It was not entertaining and it was traumatic reading it even though it didn’t contain a significant amount of new information for me. Reading it was particularly painful for me because not only was I having to immerse myself in all things Trump, someone I have always considered to be a unique threat, but I had to read the author’s opinions throughout and, except for his low estimation of Trump, I doubt I agree with him on much. Engaging in civil discourse is one thing but in this book I had to read the author’s monologue.

The author wrote the book to try to convince United States eligible voters to not reelect Trump. The author does give compelling reasons. I think anyone of any political persuasion would heed the warning if they are willing to read this book.

The biggest pros of this book: It was written by a conservative Republican, if the people who should read this would read it perhaps there might be time to get a viable Republican opponent into the race in time. It might convince many others to vote for the Democrat running against Trump next November, no matter who it is. The quotes from philosophers and historians added interesting context. His direct appeal to all United States eligible voters, so people from all persuasions, and so might get those reluctant to read it to actually read it, that could be a big plus.

The biggest cons: It was published anonymously and the rationale given for that didn’t really work for me. What the heck?! Why is this author (seemingly) and most others in the administration still there instead of doing their duty to the country? The author admits mistakes on his part and by others. It seems the author is trying to help rectify those mistakes, but their apparent continued covert role lessens the argument in my opinion and is reason for many readers & potential readers to not believe what is reported in the book.

Anyone who did their research prior to the 2016 election and continued to keep up with the honest news (me and most I know) will not find much new in here. I already knew the gist. Some very specific details were new to me. What I did learn did nothing to lessen my fear, depression, anger, or bewilderment.

Scary, depressing, infuriating.

I kept having to slow down and not start skimming. It was so unpleasant to read. I started taking notes, many pages, and then decided to stop.

It’s good that this is written by a conservative Republican. I think it’s a negative that it’s published anonymously. It’s a definite negative that the author appears to still be in the administration. I have little respect for her/him (numbers and longevity suggest a him) not resigning for good reason and then testifying and writing it down in this form too.
Sorry for the rather incoherent review. I couldn’t wait to be fully done with this book and get it back to the library. There is a long queue for it and I am glad but am afraid most if not all those waiting to read it are “preaching to the choir” readers.

Some notes I might use if I ever decide to write a longer and more detailed review:

The White House is broken.

The President has a severe personality disorder and has to be managed like a toddler to prevent him from acting in dangerous or otherwise unwise ways. He can’t get another 4 years or we might be doomed. (not in those words but that’s the meaning) Bad moral character. Not fit to be President in any way. s

I am glad for people inside coming forward now but will never forgive them for being so deluded and stupid at the start. Almost everyone I know knew from the very beginning, when the announcement to run was made, that Trump would be a disastrous President. For those in power to think they could work within this administration boggles my mind and for those still backing up Trump, I will never understand or forgive.

I wanted to quote too much of this. It’s truly horrifying. Pages 29-31about the required censoring and dumbing way, way down of briefings should have been enough to remove this President from office. Dismantling our alliances and government agencies should have been enough. Working with the Russians and against Americans should have been enough. Breaking laws should have been enough. These are all from the start. More than enough. Ditto his personality disorder and his mental health. He’s not at all a healthy man and that is dangerous for the country.

I knew most of this information from other sources. Some specific details just validated what I knew and disturbed me just by reading them and therefore having them in my mind.

I am glad this book and others are out and that some are speaking out but we’re way too far into this term and all of this should have happened no later than 2017. I’ll argue it should have happened before this man took office.

I stopped making notes/observations early on in the book. I didn’t want to write down any more.

Most of my ire was saved for Trump but though I think it’s good that this book was written by a conservative I disagreed with his opinions too, except those about Trump. Those I can’t imagine any informed, sane, honest, aware, intelligent person arguing.

The information in the book is presented clearly and is well organized.

This book was incredibly hard for me to rate.

3 stars because it’s good this information is in this book and because I did learn some minor things. Nothing except some details were new to me though. Anyone who’s educated themselves before they voted in 2016 would already know the gist. The vast majority of the specifics about this President have been reported prior to publication of this book. Some of the details though are truly mindboggling. There wasn’t anything significant new for me or for anyone who’s paid attention and educated themselves. I think the information might be an eye-opener to many though, if they’d believe it. That’s the key.

The author does address all of the above and tries to appeal to readers’ reason and love of country.

1 star if rated for my level of enjoyment of the reading experience which is how I often rate books. I did not enjoy this book. I kept reading because I felt an obligation to learn anything that might be new information for me. I’m not sure what good that would have done. I found reading this book to be an extremely painful, unpleasant reading experience.

4 or 5 stars for presenting information in a useful manner and for the compelling arguments made by the author.

I do recommend the book but the people who most need to read it are not the ones who are likely to read it. Highly recommended for 2020 possible Trump voters, possible third party voters, people who might choose not to vote, anyone who wants to try to work on getting a viable Republican opponent for Trump, anyone in power, college students and high school seniors and juniors, anyone interested in political science and politics and history, anyone who cares about the fate of the United States and the world, and any reader who feels the obligation to be informed, and maybe most of all liberal Democrats tempted to not vote for the 2020 Democratic candidate because they find them lacking. Get this information in the book or somewhere! I believe it’s a good thing that the author of this book and I probably agree on very little except Trump as President and as a man. It’s not coming from a liberal perspective at all. I hope that fact will get the book more readers and will help to make sure that the current President is not reelected. Any reader who’s read this book prior to the next election and votes for Trump will never ever be understood by me or respected by me. Deliberately not reading the book to avoid the information in it? Same thing!

Contents:
Chapter 7: Apologists
Chapter 8: We the Electorate
Epilogue ( )
1 vote Lisa2013 | Dec 5, 2019 |
This book was easy to read but contained very little new information; it simply verifies what the world already knows. As a Canadian, the "warning" part is probably not as frightening to me, but nevertheless, considering the influence the US has on the world, it is pretty scary.
I was quite surprised by the number of errors in the book - not so much of a factual nature (which would be ironic considering one of the overriding themes), after paying quite a hefty sum for a new copy. I found at least two spelling mistakes, two grammatical errors, and two semantic mistakes ("honing in" instead of "homing in" - come on! - and "literal" used when, you guessed it, it should be "figurative") but the worse one, and of a factual nature, was referring to Justin Trudeau as the "Canadian president". Geez. Even stranger is that Trudeau had been referred to as prime minister earlier in the book. I would think a senior official in the WH would know we have a prime minister and not a president. I don't know whether to lay the blame for editing on the writer, and if editors are a vanishing breed, perhaps the publishers.
I honestly don't know if I regret buying a new copy at full price, although it was interesting. ( )
  dihiba | Nov 30, 2019 |
General observations ~

It is hard to imagine a more dysfunctional workplace than the Trump West Wing. It is a three-ring circus most days thanks to the extremely flawed executive who is in charge. Remembering that this particular workplace is command central for the leader of the free world is very alarming. I am grateful that people like Anonymous continue to inform the public about this malfunctioning administration. Placing country over party should be a no-brainer during a cautionary-tale era like this one. ( )
  Molly3028 | Nov 21, 2019 |
Although the person does not reveal their identity in the book, they will discuss the reasons for their anonymity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,256,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible