A Poisoned Season by Tasha Alexander

A Poisoned Season (edition 2007)

by Tasha Alexander

Member:katiegorman
Title:A Poisoned Season
Authors:Tasha Alexander
Info:William Morrow (2007), Hardcover, 320 pages

A Poisoned Season by Tasha Alexander

Recently added byBarcudi, Carrieramon, ShiraDest, private library, bgknighton, Meg1121, Wookies, tikimama, hindadukes

This book was surprisingly good, after a very slow start and middle. By the end of the book I found myself finally engaging with and wanting to know what would happen to our protagonist. But it took a good deal of patience to get to that point. I quite nearly gave up on this book several times. ( )
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
This is the 2nd book in the series that I have read (but I haven't read #1 yet, I put it down & now can not find it), so this makes me once again a "ROO"

It is the early 1900's in Victorian England, a myriad of balls & parties when an American man shows up claiming to be the great-grandson of Marie Antoinette (soon to be the new King of France). Of course the society matrons decide he must be an eligible bachelor so out of spite & jealousy one of the jealous mothers sets up a campaign to discredit Lady Emily Ashton to keep her from marrying & keeping her shut-out of society.

At the same time; a Cat Burglar is about, many treasured items that once belonged to Marie Antoinette have begun to disappear, and a man who owned a famous Pink Diamond, snuffbox & letters of the dead queen is found poisoned along with his valet.

Lady Emily is called upon to help solve the murders and in doing so becomes the love interest of the burglar.

This book was much better than it sounds in my review: Lady Emily's fiancée, Colin Hargreaves works for the crown and is caught up in the intrigue to put the self-claimed future king on the throne; there are the mysterious Greek love letters from the Cat Burglar; Lady Emily's interest in discovering the actual heir to the throne; and the friends & family surrounding Lady Emily.

I liked the story, I like the historical tidbits (because I always learn something new), and I like the characters.... I do wish however, when the author describes Lady Emily's gowns by Worth there were watercolour illustrations. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 7, 2019 |
A Poisoned Season
4 Stars

Emily's sleuthing abilities as well as the development of her relationship with Colin Hargreaves are both significantly improved in this installment.

The mystery revolving around the theft of several artifacts related to Marie Antionette and the subsequent murder of the owner of one of the stolen treasures is very intriguing, especially the inclusion of the Lost Dauphin storyline. Moreover, Emily puts her detecting skills to much better use rather than just stumbling around in the dark, and the ultimate revelation of the culprit provides quite a twist to the story.

Emily and Colin's romance, which was sorely lacking in detail in the first book, finally gets sufficient page time. Colin with is quiet sincerity and profound sense of honor is a clear case of still waters running deep, and he provides an excellent companion to Emily's more forthright personality.

All in all, an enjoyable historical mystery.

On a side note, it is unfortunate that the 4th and 5th books are not available in audiobook format, which is problematic as audio is the only option for me when it comes to 1st person narration. Hopefully, these books will be recorded soon so that I can continue with the series.
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
A Poisoned Season (Lady Emily, # 2) By Tasha Alexander

Set in the Victorian Era, a burglar is stealing items that belonged to the Queen. Then a murder occurs, one of the owners of stolen items turns up dead. Lady Emily Ashton is determined to find out who the culprit is. Also it appears that Lady Emily has a stalker, and (she is) beginning a romance with Colin Hargreaves.

The perfect who-done-it. The plot is fast paced, with a lot of twists turns and secrets. The cast of characters is large, each one has their part in the story. I really Liked Lady Emily, and some of her friends. Murder, mystery, suspense, secrets, and a splash of romance makes for the perfect read. I highly recommend A Poisoned Season to those who enjoy Historical-Mystery. ( )
  SheriAWilkinson | Aug 15, 2017 |
Another good read from Tasha Alexander. Looking forward with great anticipation to A Fatal Waltz and Tears of Pearl. ( )
  MommaTracey | Jul 24, 2017 |
The author deftly works in background material pertinent to Emily's life as well as period detail that never slows the narrative. Emily sometimes behaves in unlikely ways. . . , but readers looking for a lighter version of Anne Perry will be well rewarded.
added by 4leschats | editPublishers Weekly (Feb 26, 2007)

At last the secret is out, as it always must come in the end, the delicious story is ripe to tell to the intimate friend; over the tea-cups and in the square the tongue has its desire; still waters run deep, my dear, there's never smoke without fire. Behind the corpse in the reservoir, behind the ghost on the links, behind the lady who dances and the man who madly drinks, under the look of fatigue, the attack of a migraine and the sigh there is always another story, there is more than meets the eye. For the clear voice suddenly singing, high up in the convent wall, the scent of elder bushes, the sporting prints in the hall, the croquet matches in summer, the handshake, the cough, the kiss, there is always a wicked secret, a private reason for this.--W.H. Auden
For Xander, who prefers his books read aloud.
There are several things one can depend upon during the London Season: an overwhelming barrage of invitations, friends whose loyalties turn suspect, and at least one overzealous suitor.

London's social season is in full swing, and Victorian aristocracy can't stop whispering about a certain gentleman who claims to be the direct descendant of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. But he's not the only topic of wagging tongues. Drawing rooms, boudoirs, and ballrooms are abuzz with the latest news of an audacious cat burglar who has been systematically stealing valuable items that once belonged to the ill-fated queen.

Light gossip turns serious when the owner of one of the pilfered treasures is found murdered, and the mysterious thief develops a twisted obsession with Lady Emily Ashton. It will take all of Emily's wit and perseverance to unmask her stalker and ferret out the murderer, while faced with a brewing scandal that threatens both her reputation and her romance with her late husband's best friend, the dashing Colin Hargreaves.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:00 -0400)

Making her way through a Victorian London season in spite of gossip about a self-proclaimed descendant of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, as well as the audacious thefts of several valuable objects that once belonged to the historic queen, Lady Emily Ashton finds herself targeted by a would-be killer who has murdered a fellow socialite.… (more)

Tasha Alexander is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,556,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible