Life's Matrix: A Biography of Water by…

Life's Matrix: A Biography of Water

by Philip Ball

192361,408 (3.74)4
All member reviews
I picked up this book because I was curious to see how someone could write a 380 page book about water. Ball does so by talking about everything connected with water, the hydrosphere, its chemical nature, biological functions, and rounds off the work with a consideration of some of the more prominent "myths" associated with water: "polywater" and homeopathy. This makes for a mixed brew: different readers will find different chapters more or less interesting according to their interests - I would have preferred a little more on the ecology and a little less on cellular chemistry - but Ball does a good job of making it all readable, informative, and relatively straightforward. ( )
  MisterJJones | Aug 24, 2008 |
I found this slightly disappointing in that I was hoping for much more of a discussion of the chemistry of water, and instead got a whole lot of unexpected material on issues like the geology of water (which were, however, interesting).

Having complained that the book was not what I expected, it remains true that Philip Ball is a superior pop science author and that this book is entertaining, interesting, and well worth reading. ( )
  name99 | Nov 23, 2006 |
Biographies of not-people I always find entertaining.
  sorryforthemess | Aug 4, 2006 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible