Book Lust by Nancy Pearl

Book Lust (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Nancy Pearl

2,019513,316 (3.96)161
Member:Fliss88
Title:Book Lust
Authors:Nancy Pearl
Info:Sasquatch Books (2003), Edition: annotated edition, Paperback, 287 pages
Collections:Read.., Your library
Tags:Own, Books About Books, Reference

Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason by Nancy Pearl (2003)

English (50)  Swedish (1)  All languages (51)
Just not my cup of tea. ( )
  yasmine_d | Mar 8, 2014 |
Just not my cup of tea. ( )
  yasmine_d | Mar 8, 2014 |
A fairly decent selection of suggestions what to read. The Categories of books she suggested were often interesting or things I would not have thought to look for in books. I definitely jotted down dozens of titles that sounded like works I would enjoy reading. Sometimes the suggestions seemed to devolve into simple listings of titles, which in the context of this work amounted to sections that I would think most readers simply skipped past. In my mind the whole point of picking up a book like this is to get teasers that hook you into reading, not lists of books withing a genre or subject matter. Still a worthwhile work. ( )
  jakegest | Dec 24, 2013 |
Book Lust by Nancy Pearl is more of a catalogue, listing as it does some of her favorite books on just about any subject, both fiction and non-fiction. I have spent the last couple of days absorbed in scanning her cleverly titled lists and making some lists of my own. I admit to at least two trips to the Kindle store.

Ms Pearl, a Seattle librarian, has an obvious love of books that goes right back to her childhood. In the last week I have also gone through her children and YA recommendations called Book Crush. One thing I have found is that Ms Pearl and I have many books in common. Nancy Pearl is also famous as being the creator of the Pearl Rule, understanding as she does that not all books are right for all people and that there is nothing wrong with trying a book and discarding it as not being the right book for you.

I suspect any book lover would enjoy Book Lust whether to get ideas for new books or simply as a trip down memory lane, being reminded of past books that had an impact in your life. I will definitely be picking up her More Book Lust as apparently there is always room for more books on my wish list. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Jul 2, 2013 |
Not sure how useful this book will be to me, since it tends to confirm my own tastes -- I knew that from the moment I spotted a recommendation of Dorothy L. Sayers' Gaudy Night -- but I think it's worth keeping around. Nancy Pearl's recommendations are very brief, but here and there they spark a thought or lead on to another book you really must get round to reading.

Something to keep around for reference, though, not something to read cover to cover. If you're in a mood for, say, a 'coming out' story, then turn to page 93 -- but it'd help if you have GR open to get other people's perspectives on the recommended books, too. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I love to read. And while I might not absolutely agree with the Anglo-American man of letters Logan Pearsall Smith, who said, "People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading," I come awfully close to subscribing to his sentiment. In fact, back in the days when I did such things, I needlepointed the quotation onto a piece of canvas. I've never gotten around to framing it or turning it into a pillow. Too many books, and life, had my attention, I guess. (Introduction)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0613925203, School & Library Binding)

FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. What to read next is every book lover's greatest dilemma. Nancy Pearl comes to the rescue with this wide-ranging and fun guide to the best reading by devising reading lists to cater to every mood, occasion, and personality.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:57 -0400)

Presents 170 themed reading lists designed for any type of reading, from "chick lit" to books on bicycling, covering a wide variety of tastes and topics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,254,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible