Book Lust by Nancy Pearl

Book Lust (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Nancy Pearl

Member:Fliss88
Title:Book Lust
Authors:Nancy Pearl
Info:Sasquatch Books (2003), Edition: annotated edition, Paperback, 287 pages
Collections:Read.., Your library
Tags:Own, Books About Books, Reference

Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason by Nancy Pearl (2003)

English (54)  Swedish (1)  English (55)
First, the title. How could a reader not love the title Book Lust? Paired with the enchanting cover, it's a perfect cover/package deal that immediately drew my eye. I really need to find more books ABOUT books, and have several on my wishlist.

Nancy Pearl is an admirable woman - the intro to the book is one of more interesting parts as she discusses having a troubled childhood and using books as a path of escape. She emphasizes the second home she made in her local library and the respect gathered for the local librarians, who inspired her so much she became a librarian herself.

I have go into something here - I keep seeing everywhere on here that elsewhere Nancy Pearl's words of wisdom on giving a book a chance, and most of it is listed as wrong. Even the sequel lists this in the plot description of it:

..."and her Rule of 50 (give a book 50 pages before deciding whether to continue; but readers over 50 must read the same number of pages as their age) became a standard MO."

It actually reads from her book:

"I live by what I call "the rule of fifty," which acknowledges that time is short and the world of books is immense. If you're fifty years old or younger, give every book about fifty pages before you decide to commit yourself to reading it, or give it up. If you're over fifty, which is when time gets even shorter, subtract your age from 100 - the result is the number of pages you should read before deciding."

I love the categories in the book, and they're broken down into an amazing ensemble of categories. A qualm I hold is I wish she would have gone more in-depth with some sections and their books. Sometimes it's listing them as a mere list.

I liked how she describes blending Horror, Fantasy, and Science-Fiction: "Science fiction deals with the world of the possible, if not the probable; fantasy deals with another world, one that doesn't conform to the natural laws of the world in which we live; and horror fiction (often referred to as dark fantasy) depicts a world marked by unnatural terrors." Even with this cool description, she admits to not really being a horror fan and not even reading Stephen King books.

One thing I notice is, while she rarely mentions a book twice in any list, she has now brought up Pat Conroy's Prince of Tides at least 4-5 categories now. I've heard good things about it and the movie was enjoyable. Thankfully I own it TBR. She apparently thought it was so intriguing I just "bumped it" up to read much sooner.

I recognized some of the titles in the lists, but honestly most of the stuff she mentions was unrecognizable to me. My wishlist grew though, and I became interested in being open minded to more subjects. It's amazing that she's read so many books on so many subjects, good grief.

This is more of a guide/list/reference than something that you sit down and enjoy reading. I do wish it were a bit more organized sometimes, more details were given for many of the books, and more explanations on some things.

ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Y'know, Pearl means well. But her annotations are so simplistic, if you're not willing to fly blindfolded, she won't be much help. I glanced at every page and used this website to look up a few of her recommendations, but found nothing to add to my to-read list.

Two main problems - 1) if your taste doesn't match hers, you'll often be disappointed. 2) GoodReads community reviews and Listopias and groups make a book like hers unnecessary. Even google books and amazon reviews are probably more helpful.

That said, if someone gives you a copy, say thank you. And hang on to it awhile; stick it on your reference shelf. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
I LOVE to read and am always looking for more suggestions. I've had the pleasure of hearing Nancy Pearl on NPR and in person - she is delightful and a font of information on books and reading. This is a great reference to have, but it's somewhat dry reading. (And I don't always agree with her.) ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 26, 2016 |
Ten years old this year, this book could stand to be updated—and I didn't care much for Pearl's vaguely cheesy style of writing—but reading a book about books is just a lot of fun. My to-read shelf will have practically doubled by the time I finish going back through the book to add titles to it.

[Updated after trying to read Book Crush: I've decided that these books are really useful only when you can buy your own copy and use it as a shopping list. Trying to make separate lists from it is just an absurd pain in the neck, and not worth the effort.]
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Great resource for finding books based on topics. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
Introduction
I love to read. And while I might not absolutely agree with the Anglo-American man of letters Logan Pearsall Smith, who said, "People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading," I come awfully close to subscribing to his sentiment. In fact, back in the days when I did such things, I needlepointed the quotation onto a piece of canvas. I've never gotten around to framing it or turning it into a pillow. Too many books, and life, had my attention, I guess.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0613925203, School & Library Binding)

FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. What to read next is every book lover's greatest dilemma. Nancy Pearl comes to the rescue with this wide-ranging and fun guide to the best reading by devising reading lists to cater to every mood, occasion, and personality.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:00 -0400)

Presents 170 themed reading lists designed for any type of reading, from "chick lit" to books on bicycling, covering a wide variety of tastes and topics.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,674,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible