In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust

In Search of Lost Time

by Marcel Proust

Series: In Search of Lost Time (1-7)

2,834352,939 (4.5)1 / 301
Romans (28)

English (26)  Italian (4)  Danish (2)  French (2)  German (1)  All languages (35)
In Search of Lost Time recounts the experiences of the Narrator (who is never definitively named) while he is growing up, learning about art, participating in society, and falling in love. The novel follows the narrator's recollections of childhood and experiences into adulthood during late 19th century to early 20th century aristocratic France, while reflecting on the loss of time and lack of meaning to the world. The novel had great influence on twentieth-century literature; some writers have sought to emulate it, others to parody it. In the centenary year of the novel's first volume, Edmund White pronounced À la recherche du temps perdu "the most respected novel of the twentieth century."
  Cultural_Attache | Jul 16, 2018 |
Rememberance of Things' Past: Swann's Way, Within a Budding Grove, The Guermantes Way, Sodom and Gomorrah
  nlgeorge | Jan 26, 2018 |
Sorry Monsieur Proust. I have to abandon thee. Your, eventually rewarding (no doubt) but gargantuan 4,200 page novel is beyond currently adapted attention spans.
Oh! Don't look at me like that ( )
  Mumu2073 | Dec 30, 2016 |
I do not mean to sound snobbish, but I can’t imagine Marcel Proust read in any other language but French... Reading Proust’s “A la Recherche du Temps Perdu” is like watching Vermeer or el Greco paint one of their masterpieces—I don’t know how else to explain its sublimeness. Proust had a talent with words, they were like clay in his hands, they became alive and pulsated with meaning. I remember reading his book and being forced to stop frequently, in order to breath in the extreme beauty of the phrases he crafted. I have never read another author who made me feel the same way. Read it and get carried away to another world! ( )
1 vote MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
I can't say I'm the hardest reader and I don't think that I could anytime soon but I can say that In Search Of Lost Time is the most mature book I've ever read. Yes. Mature. Not in the explicit way of mature, the grown-up way of mature. I think that's a better adjective for In Search Of Lost Time. Not good, not great, not funny or philosophical... Mature is the only adjective that I felt really fit the book.

In this matchless piece of art, Marcel Proust shows no mercy nor rush. He just throws piles of long, confusing sentences at you, sometimes getting completely away from the subject,and goes away leaving you alone with all the thinking you have to do. You forget what was the last thing happened when you read one of those paragraphs. In the beginning, I was afraid of those big piles of sentences. And then I started falling in love with them, let them take me away to places where I could only travel to in the still of the night or with the melody of a good old Pink Floyd song and just, leave me there. I remember spending more than a half of my hour of reading just thinking about one paragraph and what it offered. I was looking forward to the paragraphs that I've been avoiding. They were marvelous.

In Search Of Lost Time offers a lot of thinking opportunities for everyone willing to.

I started reading the book in a time that my life was full of indecisions. I thought that I was old enough to shape my view of the world. Because life, in my opinion, was too short to postpone and without a certain world view to base my thoughts and decisions upon, there was no way of enjoying our short lives to the finest. So far, In Search Of Lost Time helped me feel better about my decisions and thoughts in human relationships. Helped me get rid of one of the worst feelings, indecision.

I'm pretty confident that In Search Of Lost Time is different than any other piece of written art.
In Search Of Lost Time is the Pink Floyd of books for me. The one that offers the unexpected, the one that doesn't seek for absolution, ingratiation or adoption, the one that doesn't need you and the one you only need to reach your selfish goals of existance.

In Search Of Lost Time will bore and tire you, make you question everything you know, and not in a good way... Unless you want it. To really let this book help you, you need to slowly embrace it because it's no book of rush, you need to step ahead one at a time until you truly understand the book, and then take what you want, what you think you want, what you know you want. Because Marcel Proust didn't write In Search Of Time to be consumed like a piece of dull "art" and be forgotten into the void of the existance that isn't useful anymore. In Search Of Time is the book that we will remember until the last second of our poor, short lives. ( )
3 vote LoveExchange | Sep 3, 2016 |

Maurois, AndrePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moncrieff, C.K. ScottTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rechel-Mertens, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tadié, Jean-Yvessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For a long time, I would go to bed early. [Fr., Longtemps, je me suis couche de bonne heure.]
Hvis min bestefar da trengte å påkalles søstrenes oppmerksomhet, måtte han gripe til slike kraftige signaler som sinnssykeleger bruker overfor visse distré manikere: en serie skarpe slag med knivbladet mot glasset, ledsaget av inntrengende henvendelser med stemmen og blikket - voldsomme midler som psykiaterne ofte overfører på sine forbindelser med friske menneske, enten det nu skyldes inngrodd profesjonell vane eller det er fordi de mener at alle mennesker er litt gale.
I virkeligheten hadde hun aldri kunnet beslutte seg til å kjøpe noe som ikke kunne gi et åndelig utbytte, og helst da et slikt utbytte som kunstverk gir, ved å åpne vårt sinn for gleder som ikke har sin kilde i tilfredsstillelsen av et materielt eller forfengelig behov.
Men nu som min angst var bragt til ro, forstod jeg den ikke lenger; dessuten var det ennu lang tid til i morgen; jeg sa til meg selv at jeg ville ha nok av tid til å tenke over det, enskjønt denne tiden ikke ville kunne tilføre meg noen kraft som jeg nu ikke hadde, for det dreier seg om ting som var uavhengig min vilje; og om jeg i øyeblikket hadde en flyktig fornemmelse av å kunne unngå dem, var det utelukkende på grunn av det tidsrom som ennu adskilte meg fra dem.
'Monsieur, jeg er ute av stand til å si Dem hvorvidt det har regnet eller ikke. Jeg lever så fullstendig utenfor enhver fysisk betingethet at mine sanser ikke lenger gjør seg den umake å informere meg om det.'
Da hun var helt blottet for kultur og var redd for at hennes sprog skulle røbe dette pinlige faktum, uttalte hun med vilje alle ord så utydelig at hennes tale lød som en eneste lang og uforståelig harking, hvor man bare kunne skjelne enkelte korte ord som hun følte seg sikker på. På den måten trodde hun at alle feil ble omhyllet med så meget tåke at ingen ville feste seg ved dem.

L'edizione comprende i sette romanzi della "Recherche" nella prestigiosa traduzione di Giovanni Raboni, e il volume "Sulla lettura", una rievocazione di Proust delle proprie esperienze di lettore, corredato di un'appendice di "Immagini proustiane" a cura di A. L. Zazo.

Dalla parte di Swann; La parte di Guermantes; All'ombra delle fanciulle in fiore; Sodoma e Gomorra; La Prigioniera; Albertine scomparsa; Il Tempo ritrovato; Sulla lettura.

(piopas)

For this authoritative English-language edition, D. J. Enright has revised the late Terence Kilmartin’s acclaimed reworking of C. K. Scott Moncrieff’s translation to take into account the new definitive French editions of À la recherche du temps perdu (the final volume of these new editions was published by the Bibliothèque de la Pléiade in 1989).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:51 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,837,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible