Good Death by Gil Courtemanche

Good Death (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Gil Courtemanche

Member:romanista2
Title:Good Death
Authors:Gil Courtemanche
Info:

A Good Death by Gil Courtemanche (2005)

I enjoyed this book immensely. Written more like a novella, depite the title was quite upbeat. Who doesn't from time to time question what a good death is. Often one will say, "he was lucky that he went so quickly" - was that a good death? Who knows? The copy I had was translated into English by Wayne Grady. ( )
  BelindaZ | Nov 4, 2007 |

"A Good Death describes the everyday tragedy, horror, cowardice and love that lie at the heart of one family. On Christmas Eve, a family has gathered for the obligatory dinner. The father, only yesterday an imposing figure who terrorized his children, has suddenly fallen prey to Parkinson's and finds himself trapped inside a disintegrating body. Andre, the eldest child, is approaching sixty. He has never loved his father, yet can't help but be moved as he witnesses his decline. How should we behave towards a parent to whom all pleasures are forbidden? Should we struggle to prolong his life, or help him to end it? Around the dinner table, opinions are divided. Once more, Gil Courtemanche takes us on a deeply moving voyage into the essence of our humanity. "--Publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,363,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible