Boone's Lick by Larry McMurtry

Boone's Lick

by Larry McMurtry

Recently added byGATEACADEMY, INorris, private library, CCRLibrary, zbuxton, gbasscpa, BernJ, lynnrufing, streamsong

Westerns just really are not my genre, so if you enjoy them, your reaction may be entirely different than mine. Ma suspects Pa has an Indian wife out in Wyoming and decides to leave Boone's Lick, Missouri in search of Pa. Before they leave, Uncle Seth and Wild Bill Hickok join the sheriff in a posse. The sheriff is injured and resigns. Another sheriff takes his place and beats up Aunt Rosie who is a prostitute. The entire family sets out for the West, encountering hardships and Indians along the way. In order to prevent spoilers, I'll stop with the plot summary. There's definitely some of the typical action one expects in Westerns. Since I don't really enjoy the genre, I didn't really enjoy the book that much. It was, however, tolerable and fairly well-written from the perspective of one of the older sons in the family. ( )
  thornton37814 | Aug 4, 2015 |
I made it halfway through, but just wasn't feeling a western. However, the part I read reminded me of These is My Words, which is one the best books I've read this year. ( )
  melissarochelle | Apr 23, 2013 |
This book is funny and entertaining. ( )
  Poprockz | Jan 22, 2011 |
You either seem to really like McMurtry's stuff, or you really hate it. I liked this book.. a lot. A YA novel really, since the story is told from a 16 year old's perspective, but realistic, inventive and humorous. A nice novel of the tumultous years after the civil war, McMurtry pulls few punches when it comes to the morality of society during those times. ( )
  clif_hiker | Aug 6, 2010 |
A fictional account of a Missouri family, led by the long suffering matriarch, who sets off in search of the wandering patriarch. Entertaining western, though quite brief, as has become the modus operandi of many financially successful authors. ( )
  santhony | Oct 1, 2008 |

Larry McMurtryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patton, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671040588, Mass Market Paperback)

Master storyteller Larry McMurtry unfurls a short, bright banner of a book following the fortunes of the Cecil family as they travel from Boone's Lick, Missouri, to the Western frontier. Though the story is narrated by her oldest son, 15-year-old Shay, the real hero of the book is Mary Margaret, the mother. Her husband, Dick, has left her and their four children in Boone's Lick while he seeks his fortunes in the West. Mary Margaret lives contentedly with the children and Dick's brother, Seth, until one day she decides she's had enough of playing the estranged wife and packs up the entire household. And so the Cecil family leaves their little town (where Wild Bill Hickok makes a cameo appearance) and travels by wagon to Wyoming, accompanied along the way by a fat Québecois priest and a Shoshone. They do find Dick, and they also arrive in Wyoming just in time for the 1866 Fetterman Massacre.

McMurtry writes with an ease that younger writers would do well to emulate. Here Seth fights off an ambush of white trash dastards:

Uncle Seth fired again and a third horse went down--though just saying it went down would be to put it too mildly. The third horse turned a complete somersault. Its rider flew off about thirty feet, after which he didn't move.
"'It's rare to see a horse turn a flip like that,' Uncle Seth observed." That cool "observed" gives an idea of the book's wry, pervasive humor. But there's more here than shooting and quipping: McMurtry's wagon full of frustrated Missourians makes a fine narrative vehicle: we get a first-hand account of the Native American wars; we get the perspective of the women left behind in the opening of the West; we get a wagon's-eye view of the hard journey of the settlers; and, ultimately, we get an insightful family romance. All that, and scalpings too. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:12 -0400)

"The novel follows the Cecil family's arduous journey by riverboat and wagon from Boone's Lick, Missouri, to Fort Phil Kearny in Wyoming. Fifteen-year-old Shay narrates, describing the journey that begins when his Ma, Mary Margaret, decides to hunt down her elusive husband, Dick, to tell him she's leaving him. Without knowing precisely where he is, they set out across the plains in search of him, encountering grizzly bears, stormy weather, and hostile Indians as they go. With them are Shay's siblings, G.T., Neva, and baby Marcy; Shay's uncle, Seth; his Granpa Crackenthorpe; and Mary Margaret's beautiful half-sister, Rose. During their journey they pick up a barefooted priest named Father Villy, and a Snake Indian named Charlie Seven Days, and persuade them to join in their travels." "At the heart of the novel, and the adventure, is Mary Margaret, whom we first meet shooting a sheriff's horse out from underneath him in order to feed her family."--Jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,749,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible