dismiss

The Oxford Companion to Food

by Alan Davidson

"The 2,650 alphabetical entries in this compendium represent 20 years of Davidson's work. They include information on specific foods, cooking terms, culinary tools, countries, traditions, and biographies of chefs and cookbook authors. The entries for countries cover foods, habits, and holidays with special foods. The entries about traditions cover religious laws that deal with food and/or fasting, such as Ramadan and kosher laws. There are 39 longer articles about staple foods such as rice and apples. A comprehensive bibliography provides access to further information. The book does not contain recipes, but it is an excellent companion for sources such as the Larousse Gastronomique."--"Outstanding reference sources 2000", American Libraries, May 2000. Comp. by the Reference Sources Committee, RUSA, ALA.… (more)

I recently added this massive volume to my editorial reference library and, now that I have, I'm wondering what took me so long. The illustrations are beautiful; the writing is elegant and comprehensive; and each entry is a joy to read. I was lucky enough to find a used copy in pristine condition. Now I just have to find a shelf strong enough to hold it. ( )
  revafisheye | Jan 10, 2020 |
The 2002 version is called the Penguin Companion to Food (may pass this to Brie)
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
A great reference book to have, when you are looking up some relatively obscure plant or ingredient. ( )
  KVHardy | Jan 2, 2015 |
See my review dated 31 Jan 2010 on the Amazon website ( )
  lestermay | May 12, 2012 |
Bought this in a bargain bookshop in Bloomsbury's Southampton Row. A really useful book by a major food writer. ( )
  Jennifertapir | May 17, 2009 |

Olivier salad

Peasemeal

Petits Propos Culinaires

Philippine adobo

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,912,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible