In Search of Understanding: The Case for…

In Search of Understanding: The Case for Constructivist Classrooms (edition 1993)

by Jacqueline Grennon Brooks, Martin G. Brooks

Member:joeeasterly
Title:In Search of Understanding: The Case for Constructivist Classrooms
Authors:Jacqueline Grennon Brooks
Other authors:Martin G. Brooks
Info:Association for Supervision & Curriculum Deve (1993), Edition: Soft Cover, Paperback, 136 pages
Collections:Culture, Politics, and Society, Textbooks

In Search of Understanding: The Case for Constructivist Classrooms by Jacqueline Grennon Brooks

I found this book to be absolutely fascinating!!! I agree with everything the authors were portraying as the best ways to educate students. You simply have to think about how people learn in their everyday lives to have it slap you in the face that traditional schooling methods are just flat out inconsistent with being a human! Not only does this book provide solid examples of constructivist methods, but it also provides a background that helps one understand the current trajectory of schools. I recommend this book to any future educator as well as any current educator who wants to experiment with the best ways to get students engaged and truly understanding the material being taught. Essentially, knowledge is something that we individually build in our minds as a complex framework with multiple interconnections based on our prior knowledge and how we simply view the world. Transmissionist techniques of teaching take none of this truth into account. The most striking idea that this book presented, at least for myself, was that the questions we think we are asking our students may not be the same questions that they actually hear. This is simply because they are children and we are adults and we cannot expect them to see the world through the same adult filter that we have, which is why using prior knowledge and the students' points of view is so incredibly important to getting them to truly connect with academic material. ( )
  ThriftyMorgana | May 3, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0871202115, Paperback)

This text builds a case for the development of classrooms where students construct deep understandings of important concepts. The book presents new images for educational settings: student engagement, interaction, reflection, and construction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:35 -0400)

The activities that transpire within the classroom either help or hinder students learning. Any meaningful discussion of educational reform, therefore, must focus explicitly and directly on the classroom, and on the teaching and learning that occurs within it. This book presents a case for the development of classrooms in which students are encouraged to construct deep understandings of important concepts. Jacqueline Grennon Brooks and Martin Brooks present a new set of images for educational settings, images that emerge from student engagement, interaction, reflection, and construction. They have considerable experience in creating constructivist educational settings and conducting research on those settings. Authentic examples are provided throughout the book, as are suggestions for administrators, teachers, and policymakers. Jacqueline Grennon Brooks is Associate Professor in the Center for Science, Mathematics and Technology Education at the State University of New York at Stony Brook. Martin G. Brooks is Superintendent of the Valley Stream Central High School District in Valley Stream, New York.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,467,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible