Positive Discipline by Jane Nelsen

Positive Discipline

by Jane Nelsen

Some excellent advice, but at times it is just all a bit too lovey dovey. By this edition, there is basically no discipline involved at all, and even logical consequences are out the window. The best info here IMO is the insistence that the parents must in all cases keep control of their emotions and not escalate conflicts. Once this happens, all bets are off and the child is in control. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Oct 3, 2011 |
Donated by Tom Albaum
  DundeePres | May 21, 2009 |
As far as child development/parenting books that give advice go, I strongly prefer the Positive Discipline series. I probably feel that way because I already think most of what they say. I think in general, that's a good way to judge a parenting book. Once I know that the book is already "on my side" of various issues, I can trust it a bit to offer new ideas. Positive Discipline is my favorite for that. ( )
  lilysea | Jun 25, 2008 |
As a father of 17 month old twins, I feel like we can use all the help we can get. The values that inform the methods make sense to me and I'm looking forward to practicing the techniques outlined in this book. The proof will be in the pudding; however, I don't see how you can wrong if you're operating from a base of love and respect. ( )
  cdogzilla | Oct 29, 2007 |

As a parent, you face one of the most challenging—and rewarding—roles of your life. No matter how much you love your child, there will still be moments filled with anger, frustration, and, at times, desperation. What do you do? Over the years, millions of parents just like you have come to trust the Positive Discipline series for its consistent, commonsense approach to child rearing.

For twenty-five years, Positive Discipline has been the gold standard reference for grown-ups working with children. Now Jane Nelsen, distinguished psychologist, educator, and mother of seven, has written a revised and expanded edition. The key to positive discipline is not punishment, she tells us, but mutual respect. Nelsen coaches parents and teachers to be both firm and kind, so that any child–from a three-year-old toddler to a rebellious teenager–can learn creative cooperation and self-discipline with no loss of dignity. Inside you’ll discover how to

• bridge communication gaps
• defuse power struggles
• avoid the dangers of praise
• enforce your message of love
• build on strengths, not weaknesses
• hold children accountable with their self-respect intact
• teach children not what to think but how to think
• win cooperation at home and at school
• meet the special challenge of teen misbehavior

“It is not easy to improve a classic book, but Jane Nelson has done so in this revised edition. Packed with updated examples that are clear and specific, Positive Discipline shows parents exactly how to focus on solutions while being kind and firm. If you want to enrich your relationship with your children, this is the book for you.”
–Sal Severe, author of How to Behave So Your Children Will, Too!

Millions of children have already benefited from the counsel in this wise and warmhearted book, which features dozens of true stories of positive discipline in action. Give your child the tools he or she needs for a well-adjusted life with this proven treasure trove of practical advice.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:35 -0400)

The key to positive discipline is not punishment, Jane Nelsen tells us, but mutual respect. Nelsen coaches parents and teachers to be both firm and kind, so that any child--from a three-year-old toddler to a rebellious teenager--can learn creative cooperation and self-discipline with no loss of dignity.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,120,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible