The Lost Fleet 2: Fearless by Jack Campbell

The Lost Fleet 2: Fearless (edition 2007)

by Jack Campbell

Rating:***
Tags:SF, Mil, 2013

Fearless by Jack Campbell

Originally reviewed at Short Rambling Reviews

This is the second book in the Lost Fleet series. It starts off where the last book Dauntless finishes. In a lot of ways its more of the same, plotting where to go, weighing up the odds of where the Synidcs could be, Jack Geary questioning himself. There is also lots and lots of waiting, for ships to get somewhere and combat to stat. This did start to grate on me a little, in this respect it is the same as the last book but in a different star system, Yawn!!

However the addition of “Fighting Falco” and his delusions of grandeur, and the resulting mutiny change things up a bit. Falco has spent years in a labor camp and it is evident when he is first introduced that has affected him, but the extent of which isn’t realised until later on.

There was a hint of a hidden threat in Dauntless and it gets teased even further here. It appears to be tied to why the war started over 100 years earlier. If it wasn’t for Falco and the hint of something sinister lurking in the background this would have been very bland. However for some reason I couldn’t put it down, it is so easy to read and the characters are somewhat engaging even if Geary’s questioning himself at every turn is irritating. Still…..looking forward to the next installment. ( )
  grlewry | Sep 22, 2016 |
I read through book one and 2 within a week (super fast my my dyslexic self) they were kinda fun the buck Rogers style losdt in sleep for 100 years is a little corny and I found the fleet directions hard work to visualise but the story arc isn't bad it's light fun reading with some interesting moral issues if you ignore the larger killing everyone in a ship issues. ( )
  troyka | May 5, 2016 |
Fearless is the second book in Jack Campbell’s Lost Fleet series about Captain Jack Geary who has been revived and recovered from 100 years of cyrosleep just in time to try to save the Alliance fleet from total annihilation by the evil Syndics. The first book in the series, Dauntless, was pretty good, but I gave it only three stars because the weaponry used was so insanely stupid, mainly “grapeshot” and “hell lance spears,” both of which sound unbelievably stupid when compared to similar military sci fi space battle weaponry and also when simply considering simple space battle physics. Nonetheless, many soldiers in the Alliance fleet think “Black Jack Geary” is a hero returned from the dead to save them and the Alliance. To many of these, Geary can do no wrong, and they’re willing to follow him virtually anywhere as he tries to find a way home to the Alliance. Other fleet officers, however, resent Geary’s attempts to instill discipline in a military that has become undisciplined over a century of war. These idiots are causing too much trouble and when they find someone new to follow, Geary faces a mutiny. There’s another sub-plot that’s interesting. Mysterious and often hostile Senator Victoria Rione finally warms up to Geary, to a limited degree, and they become lovers, at least part time, and on her terms. Where this will lead, no one knows. But it’s Geary’s first romantic relationship in over 100 years and as we find out, it’s her first relationship since her much loved husband was thought killed by the Syndics and, as is found out, was captured and now lost in the system. Which really screws her up.

The fleet finds some Alliance prisoners and frees them, one of whom is a famous captain who immediately tries to relieve Geary of command. Geary has to verbally slap him around to put him in his place. This guy is so narcissistic, he thinks he IS the Alliance AND the only person who can possibly save the Alliance. Jerk. Captain Falco is way too over the top and two dimensional, as is many of Campbell’s characters (characters aren’t his strong point), and he ultimately leads a mutiny of 40 ships away from the fleet, fleeing away toward a different system. Geary is incensed, but there’s nothing he can do. He’s convinced they’ll be decimated.

My thoughts about the first book remain for this book. Geary is a great character. His flagship captain, Captain Desjani shows signs of growth and is a wonderful character. Rione remains mysterious and I can’t figure out whether I’m supposed to like her or be annoyed as hell with her. Perhaps both. Most of the ships’ captains are either over the top annoying or forgettable. The tactics are decent, but the weaponry remains unbelievably stupid. I can’t get over how, what, 30th century or later ships use 17th Earth century pirate ship ball bearings for close encounter ship fighting. And the ships, close enough for that type of engagement, don’t get close enough to brush each other and blow each other up. Unthinkable. Beyond stupid. I know I compare most military sci fi writers to David Weber, but he IS the standard and his ships are usually, what, millions of kilometers apart from each other when they engage. The very notion that they could even be close enough to touch each other, let alone doing so without blowing each other to hell, is beyond laughable.

It’s an intriguing story though. It’s good enough for me to keep reading the series. I want to see Geary, a good character, win over the officers and get the fleet home. I want to see how he gets his undermanned, injured fleet home from deep in enemy space while being pursued by a bigger enemy fleet. But meanwhile, I’ve got to put up with these annoyances. Oh well. So, I want to give this book four stars. And I’m tempted to. Yet, because of the weaponry alone, I want to give this book three stars, again, like the first book. So, what should I do? Well, Geary has to overcome this mutiny and win a big battle minus 40 ships, all the while having to deal with a confusing new romantic relationship and the rumors around the fleet surrounding that and the insubordination of various officers. I guess I can try to overlook the stupidity of the author over the weapons due to the decency of the rest of the book. So, a grudging four stars. Somewhat recommended, but only if reading the series. I’m continuing reading. Not too bad, if you can get past the unrealistic crap and concentrate on the story. ( )
  scottcholstad | Mar 19, 2016 |
FEARLESS, the second book in the LOST FLEET military sci-fi series, continues with Captain “Black Jack” Geary leading his Alliance fleet through enemy Syndicate star systems, on their way back to Alliance territory. This series is written by Jack Campbell, a retired Naval officer.
Geary is a very fleshed-out character. He has battles in his own mind over the rightness of actions, conflicts over letting himself become close to anyone after being in a space pod for over 100 years, and trying to deal with the legacy that surrounds him that says he was a military hero who fought to the death. After a heroic battle in which everyone believed Geary dead, he was found in a space pod by an Alliance fleet about a hundred years later and took charge because of his senior rank. He doesn’t really want the responsibility, but he will not refuse to lead them either, as he believes it is his duty to the Alliance.
In this volume, Geary encounters a headstrong adversary after freeing him from a Syndic labor camp and has an unexpected romantic involvement with someone on shipboard.
This is a readable book even for people who aren’t familiar with military maneuvers. In no way a brain-buster, FEARLESS is a little romp through the galaxies that will keep you distracted for a few hours. With no graphic sex or profusion of expletives, I really enjoyed the ride and would recommend the series so far.
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
Lost Fleet: Fearless continues to build the world that Campbell introduced in Dauntless. While Geary grows more settled in this future world and the fleet begins to accept Geary’s old codes of honor and battle, the fleet continues trying to stay one step ahead of Syndic fleets as they move toward home. Geary rescues a number of POWs, unintentionally unleashing Captain ‘Fighting’ Falco, a mentally traumatized man certain that he alone holds the key to Alliance salvation. ( )
  Ailinel | May 2, 2015 |

Jack Campbellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fiore, AnnetteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rummel, ChristianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turner, PatrickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Stanley Schmidt, a great editor, a great writer, and a very decent human being. Thanks for helping so many writers, including myself, become better at our work. And I have no doubt that despite this dedication, Stan will continue rejecting anything that I send him that doesn't meet his standards.
For S., as always.
Ships appeared against the black of space, squadrons of destroyers and light cruisers flashing into existence, followed by groups of heavy cruisers, then the divisions of battle cruisers and battleships, massive platforms for the deadliest weapons mankind had been able to create.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441014763, Mass Market Paperback)

Captain John "Black Jack" Geary tries a desperate gamble to lead the Alliance Fleet home-through enemy-occupied space-only to lose half the Fleet to an unexpected mutiny.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:38 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,217,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible