Dog Soldiers by Robert Stone

Dog Soldiers (1974)

by Robert Stone

Meditations in Green by Stephen Wright (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: A stronger look at Vietnam and drugs, not quite brought down by the dated thriller aspects of Dog Soldiers.
    Tree of Smoke: A Novel by Denis Johnson (Boohradley)
    The Third Man and The Fallen Idol by Graham Greene (pitjrw)
    pitjrw: War's moral fallout.

I read the first 100 pages--and the first 30 twice, since the first time through I wasn't giving them my all and wanted to give this book about which I'd heard so much the benefit of the doubt. I just found myself looking at the ceiling and asking, "Who cares?" The abandon-moment for me was the scene with Marge taking Dilaudid and calling her father. I just couldn't believe it. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
Descriptive writing and curious plot--I enjoyed this novel while it was in hand, but it hasn't stayed with me. ( )
  ProfH | Jan 15, 2017 |
I recall there was only about one paragraph actually worth reading in the whole novel ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
A dream turns into a nightmare. Some whacked out characters get caught up in stuff way over their heads and then wonder how things could have gone so wrong. Reads like a David Lynch film. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
It was good to return to this after beginning it when it first came out in 1974 and I was in ninth grade. Ok, so it took me 35 years, and it was still a little hard to get into, but I ended up liking it quite a bit. Stone is a little heavy-handed, and the story's a bit dated, but it was a good, gritty story of the darkness on the edges of the presumably civilized world. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
A great American masterpiece.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0395860253, Paperback)

Like Michael Herr's Dispatches, Robert Stone's National Book Award-winning novel Dog Soldiers trades on a hallucinatory vision of Vietnam as a place in which all honor and morality are ceded to the mere business of survival -- and, better, survival with personal profit. "This is the place where everybody finds out who they are," says the novel's protagonist, the journalist Converse, to which his friend and partner in crime Ray Hicks replies, "What a bummer for the gooks." Converse convinces Hicks to smuggle a shipment of heroin back to the United States, renegade CIA agents pop up, and all hell breaks loose in this beautifully written, dark study of the soul in anguish.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:40 -0400)

Three people caught in the world of drug dealing attempt to realize their idle dreams

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,186,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible