Falcondance by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Surprisingly, I was glad to see the large gap between this book and the previous story in the series. I felt as if watching the new city and new government come about would be too tedious for the way these books have been told. This is a set of adventures in discovering your place in the world and a lot of bumbling around with politics just doesn't fit in there, which brings me to the only issue I had with the book; the fact that there were so many political issues brought through in the newly displayed culture.

The writing style was comparable to the others of the set and the characters remained as I remembered them. There was a little bit too much repetition at times and a phrase was overused here or there, but for the most part I enjoyed this book more than I did the previous one. I still think the first is my favorite of the series so far, but I will continue into book four because I am curious to see what will develop next. The author seems to have a sort of magic that way, turning mild interest in the characters and the culture developed around them into an honest curiosity to find what will come next. ( )
  mirrani | Sep 6, 2013 |
This review was originally posted here.

The beginning of this book was a bit of a trial to get past. To me, the main character sounded a bit of a whiney, woe-is-me type which made it hard for me to find out WHY I wanted to care for this Nicias. Something I could not find a spark of, despite his parentage, for several chapters in, which means it's amazing I even made it through this book.

After several false starts over the past couple of years, I did finally manage to push myself to a point where I could feel intrigued by this character's story. And once I was hooked, I was not left disappointed.

Falcondance takes place nearly twenty years after the end of Snakecharm, the second book to the Kiesha'ra series. It branches away from the Serpiente and Avian courts of the first two books, and allows us, instead, a closer look at the inner workings and family of the royal house of the falcon Empress Cjarasa that had been glossed over in Hawksong, and a bit more in depth in Snakecharm.

Nicias Silvermead, the son of two falcons exiled from the city of Ahnmik, must learn to deal with the powers that come from his falcon heritage or succumb to the madness of nothingness, if the heir to the empress refuses to bind his magic. He must also choose between the duty to his familial line, his sworn loyalty to the daughter and heir of the Diente and Tuuli Thea of the previous two books, or wherever his destiny may lead.

Over the years I've come to enjoy Amelia Atwater-Rhodes style. Her quick, easy reads have often left me craving for more. Once I got over the rough start this addition to the Kiesha'ra series presented, I found Falcondance to be no different. ( )
  Kira.Burgoyne | Nov 20, 2011 |
Was disappointed that this novel did not continue where Snakecharm left off. Expected more of a transition into this novel, but none was given; very abrupt and a partial let-down. I feel that this series could have been more. I will still read any upcoming novels; maybe they will shed some light on the empty parts of the series. ( )
  Allizabeth | Jul 17, 2011 |
Falcondance is the third book in the Keisha'ra series. The entire series is an elaborate re-imagining of were-animal myths. After focusing on the Hawks and the Snakes, this book focuses on Nicias, a Falcon who is coming into his power untrained, which makes him dangerous.

Falcondance consists largely of world building. While taking into account the short length of the book (barely over 200 pages) and the fact that this is the third in the series, the amount of time spent learning about rules and places seems extreme. This seems to be on par with the rest of the series though. Each books looks at a different race of the same mythological world meaning that each book needs to set up the basics for those races. While this is the norm for the series, it makes for little in the way of depth of plot or intense action.

With each book, I keep waiting for the series to culminate into something more. The information learned in each book is relevant to the next, but not in any important way. These books are mildly interesting in their take on were-animals, but unless something major in later books brings everything together, I don't really see the point. ( )
  TequilaReader | May 23, 2010 |
At the end of Snakecharm, plans were being laid to create a home that was neither avian or serpente but a combination of both cultures. Nicias, the son of two falcons, grew up in Wyvern's Court, but desperately seeks to visit the white city of the falcons and learn to control his growing magically abilities.

While there he learns many secrets about his adopted people and the role that the falcons had to play in all their pasts.
  Ilithyia | Jan 16, 2010 |
Here we are, among the lucky ones who live in times of peace, in times of hope and dreams and laughter.

Nicias has never felt completely at home among the avians and serpiente in Wyvern’s Court, despite his loyalty to Oliza Shardae Cobriana, the heir to both thrones. He is a falcon, the son of two exiles from Anhmik–and images of this distant island have always haunted his dreams. But when Nicias’s visions become more like reality, his parents have no choice but to send him back to the homeland–and a royal falcon–they’ve tried their best to forget.
If Araceli won’t bind Nicias’s newfound magic, it could destroy him. In a place where everyone is a pawn, only one other woman has the potential to save Nicias. But she holds the keys to a dangerous power struggle that will force Nicias to choose between his duty–and his destiny.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:37 -0400)

As the peaceful coexistence of the avian and serpiente realms becomes increasingly precarious, nineteen-year-old Nicias, heir to the ancient and powerful falcon realm, learns some lessons about the past that will shape the future of their shared world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,458,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible