Shoah by Claude Lanzmann

Shoah (1985)

by Claude Lanzmann

Other authors: Simone de Beauvoir (Preface)

BHC Library Users please note: Our collection has the FILM VERSION of this title, not the book!
  BrisbaneHebrewCon | Aug 23, 2012 |
As the movie is nine hours long and my local library and DVD rental place didn't have it, I thought I'd read just the text instead. Unfortunately it didn't have as much as an impact on me as I had hoped it would. I think seeing the movie, the people's faces, how they talked, would be better. Very few movies are a good substitute for the novel they're based off of; this book doesn't seem to be an adequate substitute for the movie it came from. ( )
  meggyweg | Jun 10, 2009 |
Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)--Personal narratives.
  icm | Oct 3, 2008 |
SHOAH by Claude Lanzmann is the complete text of the film SHOAH. The text is the subtitles that give the emotion and information of the original speech but sometimes in a slightly different form than the original language so that the film would flow.

One of the strengths of the movie and book is the repetition of certain circumstances or instances from several different veiwpoints/people. The descriptions of the Treblinka gassings from the memories of Jewish "Death Patrol" workers, German officer, and village people are each slightly different but together they harshly illuminate the humanity, inhumanity, and process.

This book is an excellent companion to the movie and works best after one has seen the movie though viewing of the visuals is not necessary to feel the despair and hope.

This book was recommended to me by my parents and I recommend it to my adult sisters.
1 vote sara_k | Oct 5, 2007 |

Lanzmann, Claudeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beauvoir, Simone dePrefacesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Löfgren, MatsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I will give them an everlasting name. - Isaiah 56:5
The story begins in the present at Chelmno, on the Narew River, in Poland.

Product Details Paperback: 208 pages Publisher: Pantheon (April 12, 1987) Language: English

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:19 -0400)

On t.p.: The complete text of the film. Presents an oral history of the Holocaust.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,444,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible