The Last Trial by Scott Turow

The Last Trial (edition 2020)

by Scott Turow (Author)

Series: Kindle County (11)

Member:hanina2
Title:The Last Trial
Authors:Scott Turow (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2020), 464 pages

The Last Trial (Kindle County) by Scott Turow

A distinguished Nobel winning doctor is accused of fraud and insider trading. Aging attorney, Alejandro "Sandy" Stern and his daughter, Marta, are the defense attorneys to their life-long friend. The story is told through the courtroom drama with flash backs setting the stage.

The complicated process of brining a life-saving cancer drug to market is also the background of this story, and a part that almost bogs it down. There are interesting characters: the long-time associate and lover of the defendant, the long-time wife, the long-suffering son who is also an outstanding scientist, and the short-termed marketing associate who becomes a new lover to the defendant.

The story is somewhat of a page turner - how will the jury react to the clever Sandy? Good court room read. ( )
  maryreinert | Sep 29, 2020 |
Starts out boring and uninteresting and then gets completely completely complicated, riveting, and mysterious. Very well-written and constructed story. As a side benefit, it doesn't help one to *like* lawyers, but at least to understand them a bit. Heh. ( )
  tmph | Sep 13, 2020 |
I always enjoy reading Turow's books because I feel like I am learning about 'the law'. This particular story-line was a bit too over-wrought in the end; but I did enjoy the characters and the descriptions of the courtroom dynamics. Also, the topics were timely given the current COVID19 vaccine processes in the news. My suspicion is that Turow is a bit unrealistic in weaving these intricate courtroom scenes. The underlying law is probably right, but is a real-life lawyer really this good? ( )
  JosephKing6602 | Aug 20, 2020 |
I first met attorney Sandy Stern in the author's book "Presumed Innocent" which was a great story. In this book, Stern, partnered with his daughter Marta, takes on the last case of his distinguished career. He is defending a friend of his, a Nobel Prize winner in Medicine, for a number of charges related to activities in his medical research company. The writing is brilliant, the depth of knowledge surrounding medical research is first rate and the story line is compelling. This was certainly one of the best books I have read this year. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Jul 20, 2020 |
As usual with Turow, clear and understandable description of the legal process. It was good to see Sandy Stern in his last hurrah. Clever plot. ( )
  Doondeck | Jul 18, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,447,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible