Chosen Ones by Veronica Roth

Chosen Ones (edition 2020)

by Veronica Roth (Author)

Series: Chosen Ones (1)

"The first novel written for an adult audience by the mega-selling author of the Divergent franchise: five twenty-something heroes famous for saving the world when they were teenagers must face even greater demons-and reconsider what it means to be a hero . . . by destiny or by choice"--
Member:Marilyn95
Title:Chosen Ones
Authors:Veronica Roth (Author)
Info:John Joseph Adams/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2020), 432 pages

Chosen Ones by Veronica Roth

Was really disappointed with this book. An interesting premise because of all the dystopian YA novels from the last several years, but not carried out well. The first third of the book seemed mostly irrelevant to the rest of the plot. The last three to five chapters were the most interesting and then the book just ended. ( )
  littlemuls | Sep 26, 2020 |
Chosen Ones is a action and suspense-packed book with a unique, thrilling and captivating story. Every theme was new in this book, including the fact that there was no 'one-true-savior-of-the-world' thing. The world building was wonderful.

The book follows the story of Sloane Andrews, ten years after she and her 'chosen' friends collectively brought down the Voldermort-like 'Dark One'. But life isn't as sweet and rosy for them as one would expect. They attract all the media and public attention. Some of them still suffer from PTSD. And Sloane has some secrets of her own that alienates her from her own friends.

But when one of the 'Chosen Ones' dies, their lives turn upside-down, and it seems that the Dark One is not dead after all. They travel to an unimaginable place.

The Chosen Ones has the right amount of Sci-fi and Fantasy. The fact that the Chosen Ones are troubled by media, paparazzi and that some of them still suffer trauma makes the story realistic. And above all the twists were totally unforeseen.

The things that I didn't like in this book is that there were extracts, references and memorandums at the end of almost every chapter which made me forget were the last chapter ended. I think that the author wanted to explore the New Adult genre to its limit as she used the F-word a lot. Also, I felt the story was too slow-paced at some parts. ( )
  Yogaalakshmi | Sep 2, 2020 |
Roth chooses an unpleasant but relatively effective way to introduce Sloane, the unfriendliest of five saviors of humanity (they defeated the Dark One who brought magic to Earth and slaughtered thousands): by having a misogynist journalist write about how much he wants to fuck her to take her off her high horse. The saving the world happened when they were teens, as did the associated trauma; though Sloane’s partner Matt—the leader—wants to get over it, Sloane isn’t with that program. When three of the Chosen are torn away from their Earth to another world that also needs saviors, she finds that she might not want to be the hero at all. ( )
  rivkat | Aug 22, 2020 |
I don’t have anything against YA Fiction (or YA-disguised-as-Adult-Fiction). I agree that people should read Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky, but that doesn’t mean they can’t read and enjoy YA as well. Why limit yourself to just one genre or type? Read everything. Good books are good books regardless. I have no problems reading Capote and Vidal before tucking into a good Lois Duncan novel. If you look hard enough, you'll find something worthwhile in any genre. What I love about YA is that I can visit a book shop or library and find everything under the YA bracket; thriller, romance, horror, melodrama and so much more. I started reading YA back in the 90s when you had important writers - the likes of Robert Cormier/Joan Lowery Nixon/Francesca Lia Block/Judy Blume/Theresa Breslin/Jay Bennett - putting out challenging fiction that didn’t sneer at their readership. Taboos were broken and fully-formed characters dragged you into their world. I lived and breathed for those authors, anxiously waiting for the next book out on the Lions (Tracks) imprint; they put out stylish books with beautiful cover art, treating Juvenile Fiction (what YA used to be called) with the respect I feel it still deserves. It’s true that the publishing industry tends to follow trends, but that isn’t something unique to YA. “Twilight”, which happened over a decade ago, is the stick used to beat YA as a whole. There are authors out there pushing the boundaries in YA, giving us fiction every bit as challenging as anything you’ll find in ‘the adult section’ of your local bookshop, and certainly more complex than generic police procedural crime novels or novels about middle-class wife swappers in suburbia.

Unfortunately “Chosen Ones” does not belong to the latter. Is it YA Fiction for Adults or Adult Fiction for morons? Well, I'd counter that 90% of 'adult fiction' is crap too. The biggest problem I see is the trend bandwagon, i.e., author writes a great historical or fantasy fiction that sells like gangbusters and suddenly all these “unknown” authors come out with a copycat version trying to monopolize on the latest bestselling trend. Because people enjoyed the original author's good book, they gravitate towards the 'crap' hoping it will be as good as the book that drew them into the genre and end up disappointed. It's not about a great story telling anymore, it's about the 'bottom line'. They even offer courses at local colleges and universities now that teach you 'formulas' on how to write bestselling books. I wouldn't like to define YA literature either, but I can sure as hell recognise it when I'm reading it. And whether YA lit is crap or not, I don't much like it and wish bookstores would keep it in its own section and not let it spill out into others. This is another example of YA-disguised-as-Adult-Fiction…It’s bloody awful. Simplistic and derivative with protagonists who “Could Always Fall for the Mysterious, Seemingly Bad Boy Outsider/Member of a Group Who Turns Out to Be Okay After all and en Passant Saves the Fucking World”.

YA-disguised-as-Adult-Fiction is a marketing ploy, isn't it? It's about targeting your audience and selling them what you've persuaded them into thinking they want in order to make loads of dosh for all concerned apart from the reader. Young adults should be reading Henry James, Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Shakespeare, et al. Why? So they can tell great writing from crap.

Avoid like the plague! ( )
  antao | Aug 16, 2020 |
Sloane and her friends spent the last ten years dealing with the aftermath of saving the world from the Dark One. All five of them have ghosts, but two of them deal with the stress of it more than others. In the middle of a funeral, three of them are swept off to a parallel world where their Chosen One had died, so they needed the Chosen Ones from a different world to defeat their equivalent to the Dark One.

With heroes, zombies, special tech, magic, military, there is always something happening in this epic story written by Veronica Roth. I didn’t want to put the book down to sleep or cook or clean. However, being a mom it is a requirement.

The characters are great! They’re entertaining, have flaws, have personalities. They’re the whole package. The writing was great! Everything was described well so I could picture everything, even in the alternate dimension.

I really enjoyed this one and give it 4.5 stars.

*Mom’s note: This is an adult novel, but I thought I’d put this here anyways. My 14 year old son is a big fan of Veronica Roth’s Divergent series. I am going to let him read this book, but just so others are aware. There is a moderate amount of cussing and sex is eluded to, but nothing is described. ( )
  lin.ryals | Aug 15, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

To Chicago, the city that endures.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,805,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible