dismiss

Wolf Gone Wild

by Juliette Cross

Series: Stay a Spell (1)

1341,155,132 (3.79)None

Wolf Gone Wild, book one in the Stay A Spell series by Juliette Cross is the first book I have read by this author. I enjoyed it immensely and was delighted see that she’s written lots more books for me to read. The story is friends to lovers trope with a fabulous combination of magic, fantastic creatures, art and comic book nerdom. Sculptor Mateo Cruz is a seriously hot werewolf who has had a hex put on him so that he cannot change to wolf and it’s causing him problems because his wolf Alpha is present in his head all the time and it’s affecting his ability to create sculptures and he fears Alpha taking over completely. He seeks the help of the delightful Evie Savoy, a witch and comic book artist who specialises in hex breaking. The chemistry between these two is steaming and the story is told with the perfect blend of humour and angst. I can’t wait to read the stories of Evie’s sisters and highly recommend this book. I received an ARC of this book to read through NetGalley in exchange for a fair review. I believe this book will be available on Kindle Unlimited starting January 14, 2020. #NetGalley #WolfGoneWild #JulietteCross #FantasyNovel #Bookstagram ( )
  nmgski | Jan 12, 2020 |
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

The cover of Wolf Gone Wild is what initially drew my attention, but it was the characters that kept me turning the pages. I felt a connection with Evie, and was sympathetic towards Mateo. About halfway through, I just wanted to know who'd cursed Mateo and why (honestly this part was a little underwhelming). Additionally, Evie and Mateo were well into adulthood (he's in his 100's and she's in her 30's), but there was still something childlike about their personalities. Sometimes it was sweet and endearing, and other times it was eye-rolly and mushy.

I did have a few issues with this one, and a big frustration was the book's backstory. The evil plot never thickened, and there was very little action and adventure. I would've liked seeing the two of them play detective together, instead of making googly eyes and having lusty thoughts. I wanted to know more about Mateo and where he came from (his family in particular), how the curse had impacted his day-to-day life in the months leading up to Evie, and what his plans for the future were.

Evie is a girl after my own heart. She loves Star Wars, reads comics, and gushes about her love for Reylo and Wolverine. I could relate to this side of her, but her enthusiasm was a little over-the-top for me at times. It was like she was screaming, "Hey! Look at me! I'm into nerdy things!" I wish that aspect of her personality had been less of a focal point, since it kept us from really getting to know Evie as a person. Her character development felt stunted in some ways.

The story itself was pleasant, but maybe a little too convenient. Evie and her sisters were presented with a problem (in the form of Mateo and his caged wolf), and that's what they focus on the entire book. Everything slowly clicked into place, and I didn't feel like the characters had to fight for their ending. It was almost too easy the way things worked out. I'm not saying being unable to shift was enjoyable for Mateo, but once Evie started hanging around (and sharing her skin-to-skin contact), Alpha was no longer a constant issue. He wasn't really all that threatening, to be honest. It was clear he wanted Evie from the start (lust at first sight), and he saw her as "theirs" long before Mateo acknowledged his feelings for her.

Alpha's way was purely predatory and physical, but Evie didn't complain. If you're not into rough sex, or women being touched without their permission, this book might not be for you. Evie says she "understands" Alpha's needs and methods, but that doesn't make her body any less hers. She both likes and dislikes Alpha's aggressiveness, and mentally debates whether that's a good thing or not. A guy grabbing you without your permission, regardless of how or why they do it, is not okay. I know he's a werewolf, but that doesn't excuse his roaming hands or objectifying thoughts. "He wouldn’t stop yammering about her smell, her skin, her pretty ponytail that he’d like to grip while he took her from behind." (This is a very mild example.)

Possessiveness is not adorable, and I hated that Evie let him get away with it because of what he was. She should have cared more about who he was. "'I don’t think your boyfriend would like that.' 'My boyfriend?' I glanced at JJ again, then tossed my head back and laughed. 'He’s not my boyfriend.' Mateo’s scowl softened only slightly as he glared toward the bar. 'I think he wants to be.' That was it. He was adorable. And all my anxiety vanished like morning mist."

Then there's the language. It took some getting used to, but that might just be my age showing. People say "hella" now, right? Evie is in her 30's, but she spoke and acted like a hormonal teenager. "But…hot, melty, lickalicious sex with Mateo?" Her thoughts were often dirty when he was around, and ironically mimicked Alpha's desires. She thought her immediate attraction was ridiculous, and they both spent a large portion of the book believing their feelings were one-sided. Comments and gestures were often taken the wrong way, because they weren't communicating (ugh).

Lastly, there are things that happen -- very important things -- that Evie chooses to keep to herself. If you're trying to break a curse, and something weird happens, please tell someone. "...and I wasn’t going to worry them for nothing." That's a big bookish pet peeve of mine. Don't try to do everything yourself! Talk to the other characters in the book!

Overall, Wolf Gone Wild was a quick read that I found mostly entertaining. A few tweaks and I would have enjoyed it more, but that's me. I want women to be treated with respect and have hot sex. I also think this book would have benefited from having stronger secondary characters, and ones that played a larger role within the story. However, if you're looking for a rough and furry romance, this might be the book for you! 🐺😉

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on January 4, 2019. ( )
  doyoudogear | Jan 5, 2020 |
What a fun and steamy read.

When Werewolf Mateo, unable to shift into his wolf form, thinking he is cursed, finds hex-breaking Witch Evie and begs for help things get intriguing and you know you're in for a fun ride.

The internal conversations between Mateo and his inner wolf Alpha had me in hysterics, and the chemistry between Mateo and Evie, WOW!!!

I’ve read most of Juliette’s books since I first read her Vessel Trilogy, and Wolf Gone Wild did not disappoint. She has a way of drawing you into her stories that leaves you wanting more and I can not wait for the next book in the series.

*I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of this book from the author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  mybookishrealm | Dec 15, 2019 |
Juliette Cross has always been a fan favorite of mine when it comes to kick ass heroines who really knows how to pack a punch and hotter than hell lead heros who are nonetheless pantying dropping hot. So obviously when she released "Wolf Gone Wild", I couldn't wait to get my grubby little hands on it to further immerse myself in the supernatural read filled with witches, werewolves and vampires.

If you haven't already know, the story starts off with Mateo seeking out the infamous witch Evie, pleading with her to help him get rid of a hex that prevents him shifting from man to wolf. The novel then follows the generic concept of a whirlwind romance filled with fine ass sexual tension, oozing chemistry and a dynamic duo that you can't help but root for.

After completing the novel, it took me a bit of time to process the read and eureka! I was finally able to sum it all up into one simple word: decent. Yes, just decent people. What more can I say? There was absolutely no wow factor but, a big but there. I didn't completely hate it. Please don't kill me JC, I felt like this was a big fat, "it's not you, it's me" type of read for the reason it's really just me because I can totally see how this could be a win for most readers. In my opinion, it could've been better and I'm downright shocked that I didn't absolutely love this since I typically do with anything the author spits out. I just couldn't form a real connection with storyline nor characters despite liking less than a handful of them.

Besides the semi mediocre concept of the story, I will admit one of the plus sides of the read was the dashing lead Mateo and his hilarious and let's be real, down right dirty inner wolf, Alpha. Hey I like a man that knows what he wants *wink wink*. But…. And yes there's another but being thrown in, I wasn't exactly a mega fan of Evie. Eh, I could've done without her to be honest and would have more than happy to have the focus primarily on Mateo and Alpha. Sure she was optimistic, good at heart, willing to help anyone in need and holds other good attributes- a part of me kinda sorta hope she be more… mature so to speak. I don't know but I'm guessing it's maybe because I was so spoiled by the previous heroines that were so badass in the author's other works that this heroine just fell short for me. Nevertheless, me not liking her entirely didn't ruin my reading experience and I hope the next installment would be more up my alley.

So without further ado, this was still a fairly enjoyable and decent read that I will recommend to readers that are fans of the supernatural genre who are looking for a side piece of scorching hot, panty dropping and hot tempered werewolves and the relatable, down to earth witches that help keep them at bay. It's definitely a novel worth checking out. ( )
  ayoshina | Dec 7, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,919,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible