A Mama for Owen by Marion Dane Bauer

A Mama for Owen

by Marion Dane Bauer

Other authors: John Butler (Illustrator)

This book is about a baby turtle who mother has died and the hippo comes in and steps in as his mother. Very touching book and it is a great read. ( )
  drummerboy1898 | Sep 19, 2018 |
I've read two non-fiction picture books about this animal pair, and enjoyed them. But I have to admit that I think this is my favorite, even though it's shelved as fiction in my library. See, the others didn't try to guess *why* Owen latched onto Mzee. This one, especially because of the warm, loving, pictures, makes it clear that the bond between the animals makes perfect sense. Beautiful book, in every respect. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This is a good example of a picture book/fiction because it relates back to the 2004 tsunami in Indian Ocean that separates hippopotamus family. He tries to find his mother but does find a new friend tortoise to snuggle with. They never find his mother and stay together. It is a sweet story that shows children how things like tsunami affect our animals and their living environments. The illustrations are great. They are soft and show so much warmth between the two friends. They make you feel calm.
Media: Acrylic paint and colored pencils ( )
  kschindler | Mar 24, 2016 |
I love this book and found it so touching that I almost cried the first time I read it to some students! They were enchanted, especially when they found out that it is a true story. Curricular connections - adoption and diverse families ( )
  JillStephens | Feb 6, 2016 |
This book is great to use to connect to the nonfiction story of Owen and his mama
  Stacey_Nava | Nov 8, 2015 |

Marion Dane Bauerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Butler, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 068985787X, Hardcover)

Owen the baby hippo and his mama were best friends. They loved to play hide-and-seek on the banks of the Sabaki River in Africa. That was all before the tsunami came and washed Owen's world away.

But after the rain stops, Owen befriends Mzee, a grayish brown tortoise. He plays with him, snuggles with him, and decides he just might turn out to be his best friend and a brand-new mama.

Inspired by the tsunami of 2004, acclaimed storyteller Marion Dane Bauer and celebrated illustrator John Butler depict this heartwarming true tale of healing, adoption, and rebirth -- with splendid illustrations and oodles of love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:23 -0400)

When the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami separates a young African hippopotamus from his mother, he finds a new snuggle partner in Mzee the giant tortoise. Based on a true story.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,633,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible