Prince of Fire [Gabriel Allon #5] by Daniel…

Prince of Fire [Gabriel Allon #5] (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Daniel Silva

Member:MSWallack
Title:Prince of Fire [Gabriel Allon #5]
Authors:Daniel Silva
Info:Signet (2006), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:Gabriel Allon

Prince of Fire by Daniel Silva (2005)

English (23)  German (1)  All (24)
Also this time I was not disappointed by the Gabriel Allon series. Gabriel has to leave Venice and return to the service as the past seems to catch up with him. A terrorist act in Rome shakes him as he realizes that he must take a terrorist whose father has already been murdered by Gabriel. It is a race with time. Gabriel's wife Lea is abducted and he comes into contact with a radicalized palistine woman who does not shy away from death.
The book is very exciting from the first to the last page. ( )
  Ameise1 | Sep 2, 2017 |
Gabriel Allon returns in Daniel Silva's Prince of Fire, the fifth book in the series. When the Israeli Embassy in Rome is attacked by suicide bombers, the Israeli Secret Service investigate and discover that this attack is only one in a chain of attacks planned against Jewish targets. Gabriel is recruited to capture the terrorists. He puts together a Mission Impossible team of Israelis to pursue the last member of a deadly family dynasty of Palestinian militants. But nothing is easy or uncomplicated in this story.

This is not the best book in the Gabriel Allon series but it's still very good. There is a lot of history in the book. Despite the fact that it's correct and it is in keeping with what actually happened in the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, the focus seems to take away from the story. I didn't think it was as focused or fast paced as the previous books in the series. I've read all the Allon books but am now in the process of listening to them. If you enjoy spy thrillers you will certainly enjoy any book in the series. Now, I'm off to find the audio version of “The Messenger”.
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
This series of suspense novels has been popular, and my little experience with these tells me Silva has done his research. The historical/political overlay is a strength here, as he brings the age-old Palestinian-Jewish conflict into focus through dialogue, especially. Serial works, however, are simply not my cup of tea. This is the second Gabriel Allon book I've read with my book group - this one was well-received. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Apr 23, 2017 |
The author's note at the end explains the novel "is based heavily on real events and was inspired in large measure by a photograph..." ( )
  raizel | Mar 13, 2017 |
3.5 Stars ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
If you live to seek revenge, dig a grave for two. --
Ancient Jewish Proverb
For Neil Nyren, steady hand on the tiller, Patrick Matthiesen, who gave me Isherwood, and, as always, for my wife, Jamie, and my children, Lily and Nicholas
There had been warning signs---the Shabbat bombing of a Jewish community center in Buenos Aires that left eighty-seven people dead; the bombing of an Istanbul synagogue, precisely one year later, that killed another twenty-eight---but Rome would be his coming-out party, and Rome would be the place where he left his calling card.

Allon tackles the terrorists who were responsbile for the bombing of the Israeli Embassy in Rome.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451215737, Mass Market Paperback)

Product Description
Gabriel Allon faces his most determined enemy-and greatest challenge-in the stunning novel from the world-class practitioner of spy fiction.

Amazon Exclusive Essay: Daniel Silva on Gabriel Allon and the "Accidental Series"

Writers tend to be solitary creatures. We toil alone for months on end, then, once a year, we emerge from our dens to publish a book. It can be a daunting experience, especially for someone like me, who is not gregarious and outgoing by nature. But there is one aspect of promotion I truly love: meeting my readers and answering their questions. During each stop on my book tour, I reserve the bulk of my time for a lively conversation with the audience. I learn much from these encounters-indeed, some of the comments are so insightful they take my breath away. There is one question I am asked each night without fail, and it remains my favorite: "How in the world did you ever think of Gabriel Allon?" The answer is complicated. In one sense, he was the result of a long, character-construction process. In another, he was a bolt from the blue. I'll try to explain.

In 1999, after publishing The Marching Season, the second book in the Michael Osbourne series, I decided it was time for a change. We were nearing the end of the Clinton administration, and the president was about to embark on a last-ditch effort to bring peace to the Middle East. I had the broad outlines of a story in mind: a retired Israeli assassin is summoned from retirement to track down a Palestinian terrorist bent on destroying the Oslo peace process. I thought long and hard before giving the Israeli a name. I wanted it to be biblical, like my own, and to be heavy with symbolism. I finally decided to name him after the archangel Gabriel. As for his family name, I chose something short and simple: Allon, which means "oak tree" in Hebrew. I liked the image it conveyed. Gabriel Allon: God's angel of vengeance, solid as an oak.

Gabriel's professional résumé-the operations he had carried out-came quickly. But what about his other side? What did he like to do in his spare time? What was his cover? I knew I wanted something distinct. Something memorable. Something that would, in many respects, be the dominant attribute of his character. I spent many frustrating days mulling over and rejecting possibilities. Then, while walking along one of Georgetown's famous redbrick sidewalks, my wife, Jamie, reminded me that we had a dinner date that evening at the home of David Bull, a man regarded as one of the finest art restorers in the world. I stopped dead in my tracks and raised my hands toward the heavens. Gabriel Allon was complete. He was going to be an art restorer, and a very good one at that.

Over my objections, the book was entitled The Kill Artist and it would go on to become a New York Times bestseller. It was not, however, supposed to be the first book in a long-running series. But once again, fate intervened. In 2000, after moving to G.P. Putnam & Sons, my new publishers asked me what I was working on. When I mumbled something about having whittled it down to two or three options, they offered their first piece of advice. They really didn't care what it was about, they just wanted one thing: Gabriel Allon.

I then spent the next several minutes listing all the reasons why Gabriel, now regarded as one of the most compelling and successful continuing characters in the mystery-thriller genre, should never appear in a second book. I had conceived him as a "one off" character, meaning he would be featured in one story and then ride into the sunset. I also thought he was too melancholy and withdrawn to build a series around, and, at nearly fifty years of age, perhaps a bit too old as well. My biggest concern, however, had to do with his nationality and religion. I thought there was far too much opposition to Israel in the world-and far too much raw anti-Semitism-for an Israeli continuing character ever to be successful in the long term.

My new publishers thought otherwise, and told me so. Because Gabriel lived in Europe and could pass as German or Italian, they believed he came across as more "international" than Israeli. But what they really liked was Gabriel's other job: art restoration. They found the two opposing sides of his character-destroyer and healer-fascinating. What's more, they believed he would stand alone on the literary landscape. There were lots of CIA officers running around saving the world, they argued, but no former Israeli assassins who spent their spare time restoring Bellini altarpieces.

The more they talked, the more I could see their point. I told them I had an idea for a story involving Nazi art looting during the Second World War and the scandalous activities of Swiss banks. "Write it with Gabriel Allon," they said, "and we promise it will be your biggest-selling book yet." Eventually, the book would be called The English Assassin, and, just as Putnam predicted, it sold twice as many copies as its predecessor. Oddly enough, when it came time to write the next book, I still wasn't convinced it should be another Gabriel novel. Though it seems difficult to imagine now, I actually conceived the plot of The Confessor without him in mind. Fortunately, my editor, Neil Nyren, saved me from myself. The book landed at #5 on the New York Times bestseller list and received some of the warmest reviews of my career. After that, a series was truly born.

I am often asked whether it is necessary to read the novels in sequence. The answer is no, but it probably doesn't hurt, either. For the record, the order of publication is The Kill Artist, The English Assassin, The Confessor, A Death in Vienna, Prince of Fire, The Messenger, The Secret Servant, and Moscow Rules, my first #1 New York Times bestseller. The Defector pits Gabriel in a final, dramatic confrontation with the Russian oligarch and arms dealer Ivan Kharkov, and I have been told it far surpasses anything that has come before it in the series. And to think that, if I'd had my way, only one Gabriel Allon book would have been written. I remain convinced, however, that had I set out in the beginning to create him as a continuing character, I would surely have failed. I have always believed in the power of serendipity. Art, like life, rarely goes according to plan. Gabriel Allon is proof of that.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:44 -0400)

Recalled to service in Israel after terrorists steal secrets about his past, art restorer and sometime spy Gabriel Allon finds himself stalking an elusive master terrorist in a deadly cat-and-mouse game.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,504,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible