Care of the Soul : A Guide for Cultivating…

Care of the Soul : A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in… (original 1992; edition 1994)

by Thomas Moore

Member:cdurgin
Title:Care of the Soul : A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in Everyday Life
Authors:Thomas Moore
Info:Harper Paperbacks (1994), Paperback, 336 pages

Care of the Soul : A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in Everyday Life by Thomas Moore (1992)

English (15)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (17)
One of my favorites! A beautifully crafted book. One I aspire to live by. ( )
  CherieKephart | Aug 3, 2017 |
A truly remarkable book! Reading this book can change your life. It can make your life richer, help you remember your dreams, and prepare you to face death. Makes one realize how empty a world can be when one fails to nourish the soul. Along with Victor Frankel's book _Man's Search for Meaning_, this book should be essential reading for everyone who feels overwhelmed by the existential condition. ( )
1 vote dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
A good book for anyone involved in personal soul work. ( )
1 vote MrDickie | Jun 17, 2015 |
I found a lot of interesting, thought-provoking stuff here, as witnessed by the number of flags I have stuck in my copy to mark notable passages. I had to read it relatively slowly in order to absorb it (and occasionally because I hit a chapter that wasn't as compelling, especially those that focused on applying Greek myths to psychology, which was a cool concept but felt a bit forced in places).

I especially liked the sections on the role of arts/beauty and religion in the development of soul, and on depression.
1 vote devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
This book changed my life. I met Thomas Moore and was as impressed by him as his work. ( )
  mindyshalleck | Oct 29, 2014 |
The great malady of the twentieth century, implicated in all of our troubles and affecting us individually and socially, is "loss of soul."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060922249, Paperback)

Care of the Soul is considered to be one of the best primers for soul work ever written. Thomas Moore, an internationally renowned theologian and former Catholic monk, offers a philosophy for living that involves accepting our humanity rather than struggling to transcend it. By nurturing the soul in everyday life, Moore shows how to cultivate dignity, peace, and depth of character. For example, in addressing the importance of daily rituals he writes, "Ritual maintains the world's holiness. As in a dream a small object may assume significance, so in a life that is animated by ritual there are no insignificant things." This is the eloquence that helped reintroduce the sacred into everyday language and contemporary values.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:57 -0400)

A therapist draws on the world's religions, music, art, and his own experiences with patients to examine the connections between spirituality and the problems of individuals and society.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,340,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible