Moon Called by Patricia Briggs
4,845219955 (4.16)1 / 261
Recently added byAmbitiousLemon, black9wolf, Ashlene, anella4611, momo51519, private library, Miyuneko, murphyrules
    Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews (mak_mohn)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (SunnySD)
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Great urban fantasy series, first person narrated by shapeshifting female protagonists.
    Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost (asterravos)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (leahsimone, shadiphoenix)
    Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks (Larkken)
    Larkken: Strong female protagonist becomes involved with werewolves. The werewolf packs are organized differently, but the two series deal similarly with issues of independence and also draw in other supernatural beings.
    Stray by Rachel Vincent (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: Both stories are hot and action packed with a young shifter heroine who is rare and thus very coveted and smothered within her pack/pride. She must battle her family to earn her independence, and fight her heart and instincts to avoid being “owned” by HOT men whom drive them crazy with lust and desire. (Stray is a bit more sensual)… (more)
    Heart of Stone by C. E. Murphy (Kassilem)
    Tinker by Wen Spencer (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Urban fantasy and gritty mechanics
    The Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint (catfantastic)
    Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley (deep220)
    Someplace to be Flying by Charles de Lint (MyriadBooks)
    Lonely Werewolf Girl by Martin Millar (GirlMisanthrope)
    Silver Kiss by Naomi Clark (Anonymous user)
    The Price of the Stars by Debra Doyle (mak_mohn)

English (215)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (219)
Mercedes Thompson is a walker, a descendant of Native Americans and has the ability to turn into a coyote and detect magic and block it. She gets drawn into a fight with werewolves because of her neighbor. Turns out she helps out a lot and practically saves the day, and only sustains mild injuries.

This book was so much like the first couple of Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake books, it has the same tone and sort of the same concept, but different...lets just hope she doesn't turn the series into nothing more than completely gratuitous sex scenes in book form. I liked the tension between Mercy and the local werewolf alpha, Adam. I like the whole idea of the story but it felt a bit like something was missing as well, although, I can't quite place what. Mercy is a strong female lead and I liked that as well. We will see what the rest of the series has in store. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
3.5 stars

Mercy is a mechanic and a “walker” - a coyote shapeshifter. She was raised by werewolves. When a fairly new, packless werewolf (Mac) shows up looking for a job, she helps him out. When she learns more about him, she introduces him to the local Alpha pack leader, Adam, so hopefully Mac can learn more about being a werewolf and can learn to control himself. Unfortunately, things take a turn for the worse...

I liked it, but I'm not sure it was enough to convince me to pick up the 2nd book in the series. There was a lot of politics in the book, as well – werewolves, vampires, witches, fae and Mercy and how does she fit in (or not). I've already had a comment that the rest of the series is better, so I will give book 2 a chance and see what I think from there. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 17, 2014 |
An awesome series that I give an enthusiastic two thumbs up!!! Not only a great concept but also well written which isn't always the case with the genre. ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
My reaction to this book is probably conditioned by being a little jaded at this point in regards to urban fantasy as an analogy for the coming out of subcultures that had previously been granted pariah status at best, though Briggs gets points for beginning this story early in the process. Tolerance for those magical beings who have come out in Briggs' universe can be best described as tokenism. Still, while Briggs seems to have been shooting for a matter-of-fact, work-a-day tone I'm not sure that she didn't fall a bit flat. My overall impression is that I'd try the next book in the series, but there are other authors I'd rather read right now. ( )
  Shrike58 | Aug 27, 2014 |
fell flat

i was talking to a friend about it and i gave an example..

some scenes go like this.. i put the key in the door, i turn the key, i open the door, i get in the car, i close the door, i put on my seat belt, i put the key in the ignition...

while others go like this..

hey, will you go get me some donuts from the bakery 10 miles away?
wow, those donuts were great!

I was intrigued by the mystery at first but it did not follow through at all. I did not see the chemistry that was supposedly present between Mercy and the two gents. I became very frustrated with being repeatedly told that she's not a member of the pack. ( )
  sraedi | Aug 24, 2014 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for
Kaye’s mom, Almeda Brown Christensen, who likes my books; Alice and Bill Rieckman who like horses as much as I do; and in memory of Floyd “Buck” Buckner, a good man.
I didn't realize he was a werewolf at first.

Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me too.

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbour is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself...and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441013813, Mass Market Paperback)

Mercy Thompson's life is not exactly normal. Her next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a VW bus for a vampire. But then, Mercy isn't exactly normal herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:18 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,331,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible