Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

Moon Called (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Patricia Briggs

5,009229907 (4.15)1 / 308
Title:Moon Called
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2006), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, ebooks, Working on
Tags:Fic, SF, !dunno, !Poached, _import151118, __scan_cover

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (2006)

Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews (mak_mohn)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (SunnySD)
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Great urban fantasy series, first person narrated by shapeshifting female protagonists.
    Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost (asterravos)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (leahsimone, shadiphoenix)
    Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks (Larkken)
    Larkken: Strong female protagonist becomes involved with werewolves. The werewolf packs are organized differently, but the two series deal similarly with issues of independence and also draw in other supernatural beings.
    Stray by Rachel Vincent (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: Both stories are hot and action packed with a young shifter heroine who is rare and thus very coveted and smothered within her pack/pride. She must battle her family to earn her independence, and fight her heart and instincts to avoid being “owned” by HOT men whom drive them crazy with lust and desire. (Stray is a bit more sensual)… (more)
    Heart of Stone by C. E. Murphy (Kassilem)
    Tinker by Wen Spencer (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Urban fantasy and gritty mechanics
    The Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint (catfantastic)
    Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley (deep220)
    Someplace to be Flying by Charles de Lint (MyriadBooks)
    Lonely Werewolf Girl by Martin Millar (GirlMisanthrope)
    Silver Kiss by Naomi Clark (Anonymous user)
    The Price of the Stars by Debra Doyle (mak_mohn)

English (222)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (226)

[Cross-posted to Knite Writes]

Coyote shifter car mechanic Mercedes “Mercy” Thompson gets embroiled in deadly scheme between different factions of werewolves when a young wolf named “Mac” shows up at her shop and asks for a job. Mac is followed by two men, one a wolf as well, who try to take him back to the people who forcefully turned him into a werewolf and then experimented on him with drugs. Mercy kills one of the men and drives the other off, using her coyote form, and then takes Mac to Adam, the local Alpha werewolf.

Unfortunately, Mercy wakes up the next day to Mac dead, Adam wounded, and Jesse, Adam’s human daughter, missing. Knowing someone related to Adam’s pack must have betrayed him to the bad guys, Mercy takes the wounded Adam to the Marrok, the leader of all the werewolves in North America, and the man who raised her. While Adam recovers, Mercy gets sucked back into her past life as the odd woman out in the Marrok’s pack, a coyote shifter among wolves, and is forced to interact with her old flame, Samuel, who tried to whisk a younger and more naive Mercy off into a marriage.

Once Adams is mostly recovered (wolves heal fast), Mercy and Samuel head back to the Tri-Cities, where Mercy lives, to track down the bad guys and save Jesse. Their poking around leads them to the local vampire seethe, which Mercy is able to access through one of her mechanic shop clients, a vampire named Stefan. They get an audience with the seethe’s leader, but it ends up being a complete disaster that almost gets everyone killed. Whoops.

However, they do get the information they need: where the rogue werewolves and company are staying in the Tri-Cities. Unfortunately, Adam and Samuel forbid Mercy from participating in a raid on the place, and she’s forced to stay at home and do nothing. But after a LONG time goes by with no news, Mercy realizes something went wrong, and she finds out that Adam’s been taken as well.

At this point, to be quite frank, the plot becomes extremely convoluted, to the point where my eyes glazed over and I skimmed the rest of the book. So, I can’t reliably summarize the last 40 pages or so.

Anyway, Mercy and her friends rescue Adam and Jesse from the bad guys, and the bad guys are brought to werewolf justice, which generally means they’re killed.

The End.

Cue sequel.

My Take

I’ve known about Patricia Briggs for a while now, and seeing as I’m on a mission to expand my urban fantasy reads beyond The Dresden Files, I decided to pick up the first two books in this series the last time I stopped by B&N. Unfortunately, I realized too late that, like a lot of urban fantasy authors with fairly long series, Briggs doesn’t really hit her stride in the first book.

My biggest problem with this book was the plot — it was chugging along perfectly fine for a while, and then, in the last third, it suddenly took a turn for the ridiculously convoluted. Literally, characters sat down in a living room and starting throwing out incredibly far-reaching conclusions based on very little information that painted an incredibly confusing, hard-to-follow, picture of the sources of conflict in the novel. There was a point where my eyes glazed over…and I basically stopped reading. Right there. I skimmed quickly through the remaining 40 pages or so just to get an idea of what happened to the major characters.

It was all very unfortunate. But it happens.

As for other aspects of the book…

The characters — there were quite a few characters in this book, and some of them were fairly well characterized while others leaned a bit flat despite their relative importance to the plot. Mercy makes for a decent protagonist with a fairly rich backstory that plays well into the plot of the book, but a lot of the characters, like Adam and Samuel, are lacking in development throughout.

The world-building — was okay. I think the supernatural world could have been fleshed out more and more evenly. One of my issues was that world-building concepts weren’t introduced or even hinted at until they became 100% relevant to the plot. Which is a mistake because, when you do it over and over, it starts to feel like you’re just making it up as you go along, inserting whatever concepts are convenient for the plot. You need to build your world more organically.

All in all, this book has some interesting characters and plot points to offer, but it fell pretty short in several regards, not the lest of which was the ending.

Is It Worth Reading?

Unfortunately, I’m going to have to say no. There are some redeeming qualities here, but the book suffers from a convoluted plot and some pretty weak characters.

2.5/5 ( )
  ClaraCoulson | Nov 16, 2015 |
Mercedes Thompson is a walker, a descendant of Native Americans and has the ability to turn into a coyote and detect magic and block it. She gets drawn into a fight with werewolves because of her neighbor. Turns out she helps out a lot and practically saves the day, and only sustains mild injuries.

This book was so much like the first couple of Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake books, it has the same tone and sort of the same concept, but different...lets just hope she doesn't turn the series into nothing more than completely gratuitous sex scenes in book form. I liked the tension between Mercy and the local werewolf alpha, Adam. I like the whole idea of the story but it felt a bit like something was missing as well, although, I can't quite place what. Mercy is a strong female lead and I liked that as well. We will see what the rest of the series has in store. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Totally not what I expected based on the description and cover art -- but in a good way. The narrator isn't at all like the trendy urban chick depicted on the cover for this and the subsequent sequels. She's much more real, down to earth, and likeable, even if she does have the rather unlikely ability to shift into a coyote! Her world is populated with some familiar fantasy creatures, but they're made more interesting by also being (mostly) human in a recognizably human world. Not literary by any means, but pretty compelling and enjoyable to listen to. (Listened to audiobook version.) ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
Mercy just can't help but get in trouble. When a lone werewolf shows up on the doorstep of her car repair shop, Mercy finds it within herself to help him out...until he ends up dead. In finding his killers and bringing a massive plot down, Mercy finds herself caught up in events that are far beyond her powers and totally out of her control.

Patricia Briggs is merciless (no pun intended) with her characters -- you never know what's going to happen to them, or if they'll make it out alive.

To call this book engaging is to do it a severe injustice; I picked it up two days ago and read it and the next three books straight through, forgoing sleep in the process -- I was so thoroughly hooked I honestly couldn't put any of them down.

Mercy herself is an INTERESTING character. Totally deserving of capital letters, too. She's like Anita Blake without the Mary Sue complex -- totally more realistic and easier to identify with. I especially love the fact that Mercy has a history degree, so she's working as a mechanic -- a situation I can totally identify with, having a history degree myself.

If you like urban fantasy, this is totally worth the read. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |
First book I've read by Patricia Briggs and I like it a lot. I'm going to look for more books in the series. I like the world building, the characters are interesting, particularly the heroine, and the book really moves along. I'm not into werewolves books but for her books, I will make an exception. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Aug 5, 2015 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for
Kaye’s mom, Almeda Brown Christensen, who likes my books; Alice and Bill Rieckman who like horses as much as I do; and in memory of Floyd “Buck” Buckner, a good man.
I didn't realize he was a werewolf at first.

Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me too.

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbour is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself...and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441013813, Mass Market Paperback)

Mercy Thompson's life is not exactly normal. Her next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a VW bus for a vampire. But then, Mercy isn't exactly normal herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:10 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,861,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible