Moon Called by Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2006), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Cover maybe done
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fic, SF, !dunno

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (2006)

Recently added byCorinasQuill, raselyem7, SnowCatMacDobhran, private library, Irena., kicks1369
    Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews (mak_mohn)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Great urban fantasy series, first person narrated by shapeshifting female protagonists.
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (SunnySD)
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost (asterravos)
    Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (leahsimone, shadiphoenix)
    Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks (Larkken)
    Larkken: Strong female protagonist becomes involved with werewolves. The werewolf packs are organized differently, but the two series deal similarly with issues of independence and also draw in other supernatural beings.
    Stray by Rachel Vincent (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: Both stories are hot and action packed with a young shifter heroine who is rare and thus very coveted and smothered within her pack/pride. She must battle her family to earn her independence, and fight her heart and instincts to avoid being “owned” by HOT men whom drive them crazy with lust and desire. (Stray is a bit more sensual)… (more)
    Heart of Stone by C. E. Murphy (Kassilem)
    Tinker by Wen Spencer (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Urban fantasy and gritty mechanics
    The Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint (catfantastic)
    Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley (deep220)
    Someplace to be Flying by Charles de Lint (MyriadBooks)
    Lonely Werewolf Girl by Martin Millar (GirlMisanthrope)
    Silver Kiss by Naomi Clark (Anonymous user)
    The Price of the Stars by Debra Doyle (mak_mohn)

English (212)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (215)
My reaction to this book is probably conditioned by being a little jaded at this point in regards to urban fantasy as an analogy for the coming out of subcultures that had previously been granted pariah status at best, though Briggs gets points for beginning this story early in the process. Tolerance for those magical beings who have come out in Briggs' universe can be best described as tokenism. Still, while Briggs seems to have been shooting for a matter-of-fact, work-a-day tone I'm not sure that she didn't fall a bit flat. My overall impression is that I'd try the next book in the series, but there are other authors I'd rather read right now. ( )
  Shrike58 | Aug 27, 2014 |
fell flat

i was talking to a friend about it and i gave an example..

some scenes go like this.. i put the key in the door, i turn the key, i open the door, i get in the car, i close the door, i put on my seat belt, i put the key in the ignition...

while others go like this..

hey, will you go get me some donuts from the bakery 10 miles away?
wow, those donuts were great!

I was intrigued by the mystery at first but it did not follow through at all. I did not see the chemistry that was supposedly present between Mercy and the two gents. I became very frustrated with being repeatedly told that she's not a member of the pack. ( )
  sraedi | Aug 24, 2014 |
Mercy is my absolute favorite urban fantasy protagonist. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
This book was a fun read. It pains me to bring up Twilight, but it's an obvious point to compare it to. This was everything Twilight should have been, written concurrently and published a couple of months after Twilight.

Unfortunately, the magic system was soft, or at least not well enough explained to make it feel rigid and structured. As Abinadi says, Brandon Sanderson ruined books for me.

Definitely enjoyed the action, and especially the werewolf mythology. Didn't enjoy the sexism. Why are so many science fiction and fantasy books sexist or misogynistic?

This book was marketed horribly. The front cover? What's up with that? Is this some weird skeezy romance novel? Then the back cover starts by reading, "Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbor is a werewolf." If I'd had that and the cover to go on alone, I would never have read this. Seriously, Ace Books, get your stuff together. For shame.

Lastly, I enjoyed that the protagonist was a strong female character that acted for herself and didn't spend the book needing to be rescued. ( )
1 vote Tom_Wright | Jun 26, 2014 |
A kick butt start to an awesome new series! Patricia Briggs has a fast and furious writing style. This is a shorter book than some might be used to but there isn't a word wasted and a not a moment I didn't enjoy.

There is a lot of urban fantasy out there these days and I believe this by far is some of the best executed beginnings of a series I've read to date. The details for a rich world of 'Other' within our own mundane world are delivered so well that they aren't overwhelming. There is nothing worse than when an author does an information dump on the reader - and while Briggs gives you a lot of info it never feels as if it's too much.

Mercy is a great lead, a character that you can really get behind and get attached to. She's tuff but vulnerable and sassy as hell. I highly recommend this series to any urban fantasy fans that have a taste for werewolves, shapeshifters, vampires and few. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for
Kaye’s mom, Almeda Brown Christensen, who likes my books; Alice and Bill Rieckman who like horses as much as I do; and in memory of Floyd “Buck” Buckner, a good man.
I didn't realize he was a werewolf at first.

Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me too.

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbour is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself...and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441013813, Mass Market Paperback)

Mercy Thompson's life is not exactly normal. Her next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a VW bus for a vampire. But then, Mercy isn't exactly normal herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:18 -0400)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,348,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible