Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

Moon Called (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Patricia Briggs

Info:Ace (2006), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, ebooks, Working on
Rating:***1/2
Tags:__scanned, _import151118, !dunno, !Poached, Fic, SF

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (2006)

Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews (mak_mohn)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (SunnySD)
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost (asterravos)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Great urban fantasy series, first person narrated by shapeshifting female protagonists.
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (leahsimone, shadiphoenix)
    Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks (Larkken)
    Larkken: Strong female protagonist becomes involved with werewolves. The werewolf packs are organized differently, but the two series deal similarly with issues of independence and also draw in other supernatural beings.
    Stray by Rachel Vincent (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: Both stories are hot and action packed with a young shifter heroine who is rare and thus very coveted and smothered within her pack/pride. She must battle her family to earn her independence, and fight her heart and instincts to avoid being “owned” by HOT men whom drive them crazy with lust and desire. (Stray is a bit more sensual)… (more)
    Heart of Stone by C. E. Murphy (Kassilem)
    Tinker by Wen Spencer (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Urban fantasy and gritty mechanics
    The Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint (catfantastic)
    Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley (deep220)
    Someplace to be Flying by Charles de Lint (MyriadBooks)
    Lonely Werewolf Girl by Martin Millar (GirlMisanthrope)
    Silver Kiss by Naomi Clark (Anonymous user)
    The Price of the Stars by Debra Doyle (mak_mohn)

English (249)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All (254)
Have you ever wondered if werewolves are sexy? Apparently it isn't just Rule 34 that has the answer on that question.

Moon Called is the first in the highly successful Patricia Briggs series. Mercy Thompson is the local mechanic, a shape shifter, and a lightning rod for trouble. First a runaway with problems starts work at her shop, bringing his problems with him. Then her friendly neighbourhood werewolves get dragged into the start of a civil war. And then it appears the local witches and vampires are involved. Then Cthulhu rises... Okay, I made up the last bit.

Patricia's Mercy Thompson series are not normally the sort of book I would choose to read. Being a guy, I have all of these prejudices about sparkly vampires, sexy werewolves, and novels clearly aimed at that market. Which is stupid on my part. The Moon Called has as much in common with Twilight as Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. In other words, I could have been enjoying this series earlier if not for my misplaced prejudice.

This was a fast paced novel that was highly entertaining. One thing that stood out to me, though, was the novel kind of ended without really finishing the story. This made the ending feel a little unsatisfying, but at the same time it felt like a more natural story, especially for a series. I suppose it is refreshing to have a novel unafraid to not have an epilogue or tagged on final chapter that ties up all of the loose ends. And this open-endedness doesn't feel like a deliberate setup for a series, rather it feels like a genuine limited world perspective: we don't get to know everything because the characters don't know everything. I will be reading many more Patricia Briggs novels. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
Bello, affasciante, irriverente e lievemente sensuale.

Finalmente una saga sui mannari che mi strega e affascina senza riserve!
L’autrice è stata assolutamente originale e geniale con l’introduzione di Mercy, una meccanica, ma anche e soprattutto una donna che si trasforma in coyote. Una camminatrice.
Lei è speciale, quasi unica, e la sua capacità di trasformasi quando vuole in coyote non è la sua unica specilità. Ma ovviamente, lei, tutto questo ancora non lo sa.

Una protagonista coraggiosa, testarda e imprudente che, nonostante tutto, non rinuncia alla consapevolezza del suo lato femminile. Lei è perfettamente conscia di essere una “femmina” di fronte all’alfa Adam, ma questo non la scoraggia affatto a far quel che vuole, seppur con prudenza ed astuzia. Non possiamo certo dire che manchi di cervello!

I personaggi sono tutti molto curati, hanno spessore e non ci sono “macchiette” pronte e poste solo per portare avanti la trama.
La trama è avvincente, curata e niente affatto scontata. Un ottimo thriller direi visti i numerosi intrighi nei quali ci coinvolge la scrittrice.

E’ presente, ovviamente, anche un lato sensuale nel romanzo, ma questo non soppianta mai la trama ma si amalgama ad essa lasciandoci sempre leggermente in ansia in attesa dell’evoluzione del rapporto fra i protagonisti. Nei prossimi volumi vedremo come andrà a finire! Speriamo.

Alle prese con un ex fidanzato dominante e piuttosto possessivo, con un alfa che la corteggia e la rivendica e numerosi licantropi e umani che vorrebbero felicemente farle “la pelle“, Marcy dovrà fare di tutto per ritrovare la sua amica, finita fra le grinfie di uno spacciatore di droghe… per licantropi.

Da comprare assolutamente il seguito! ( )
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |
OMG!! And I never ever use OMG. But, OMG! I loved this book so much. I can't even pin point what it is that got to me to that extent I just know that for some reason, this book just made me happy. How cool is that!

veredi | Mar 25, 2017 |
Patricia Briggs is a wonderful writer and this book reinforces her position as an accomplished storyteller. I loved the character of Mercy and the way she handles herself in all challenges, including the men in her life. She has a grace, a kind of transcendent quality that is brilliantly portrayed without losing her very real, human and self preserving qualities.

Briggs' werewolves and pack politics are well thought out and true to the world she has creative. The vampires are cool and deadly. We don't hanker after any of them, reflecting a more Rice view than Myer or Harris. I liked the contrast. 4.5 stars and looking forward to the next one! ( )
  KimFalconer | Jan 29, 2017 |
I read this as an assignment for a course in writing Fantasy and Science Fiction. Urban paranormal isn't my usual fare, and this story had LOTS of paranormals in it. I think just about every type of nonhuman character appeared at one point or another, except maybe zombies. In a way it was a little too much. Although it was explained how they coexisted as paranormals with humans or in some cases kept their true identity secret, I had a hard time buying that they could accomplish this in a small community such as the one in the story. It was fast paced, and I learned a lot about werewolves. I suspect fans of this genre would enjoy it.
  devorah_fox | Jan 10, 2017 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for
Kaye’s mom, Almeda Brown Christensen, who likes my books; Alice and Bill Rieckman who like horses as much as I do; and in memory of Floyd “Buck” Buckner, a good man.
I didn't realize he was a werewolf at first.

Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me too.

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbour is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself...and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441013813, Mass Market Paperback)

Mercy Thompson's life is not exactly normal. Her next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a VW bus for a vampire. But then, Mercy isn't exactly normal herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:10 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,103,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible