Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1) by…

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1) (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Patricia Briggs

5,173242866 (4.15)1 / 330
Member:secludere
Title:Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read, Read and owned, Favorites
Tags:shapeshifter, walker, werewolf, vampire, witch, fae

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (2006)

Recently added byBookHavenAZ, private library, arenie5000, SkyRyder, paige.alden, SaschaD, Sorraca, nagaerk, jlweaver
    Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews (mak_mohn)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (SunnySD)
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost (asterravos)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Great urban fantasy series, first person narrated by shapeshifting female protagonists.
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (leahsimone, shadiphoenix)
    Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks (Larkken)
    Larkken: Strong female protagonist becomes involved with werewolves. The werewolf packs are organized differently, but the two series deal similarly with issues of independence and also draw in other supernatural beings.
    Stray by Rachel Vincent (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: Both stories are hot and action packed with a young shifter heroine who is rare and thus very coveted and smothered within her pack/pride. She must battle her family to earn her independence, and fight her heart and instincts to avoid being “owned” by HOT men whom drive them crazy with lust and desire. (Stray is a bit more sensual)… (more)
    Heart of Stone (The Negotiator Trilogy, Book 1) by C. E. Murphy (Kassilem)
    Tinker by Wen Spencer (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Urban fantasy and gritty mechanics
    The Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint (catfantastic)
    Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley (deep220)
    Someplace to be Flying by Charles de Lint (MyriadBooks)
    Lonely Werewolf Girl by Martin Millar (GirlMisanthrope)
    Silver Kiss by Naomi Clark (Anonymous user)
    The Price of the Stars by Debra Doyle (mak_mohn)

English (236)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (240)
Shape shifters, vampires and werewolves, oh my! I picked up Moon Called by Patricia Briggs mostly because it fits a reading challenge. I thought it would be a quick and easy read but I wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I did. Now I am totally hooked and looking at yet another new series!

Mercy Thompson is an independent, snarky, no-fuss heroine who also happens to be a magical being, a shape shifter who can become a coyote at will. Her next door neighbour just happens to be the pack leader of the local werewolf pack. Mercy was raised by werewolves, so she understands the pack dynamics and is well able to hold her own.

Although this book didn’t really bring anything new to the urban fantasy table, it was still an engrossing, fun read and I think that is so because of the writing, in particular the dialogue. Patricia Briggs gives us an inventive, witty, action-packed paranormal mystery that pulled me in and left me eager to continue on with these characters. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 13, 2016 |
Loved the flow of this book. Mercy tries to help a young man who recently went through the "change" and things get out of hand. She's forced to seek help from her neighbor (and pack alpha) Adam. Things are far from resolved and soon she uncovers a conspiracy that takes her to various factions in search of answers. It's been my experience that many first-in-series tend to be info dumps. Not this one. It kept my attention from cover to cover. The author shows us Mercy Thompson and her world as the story progresses.

Mercy is a great character, strong, smart, but still a woman with tender emotions. I love it when a writer "gets" that women can be uber-heroines and still cry when they're alone out of grief, or even frustration. Adam was a great character, but I also liked the chemistry she had with Sam and wonder what the future holds.

Great book! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The story was tight, the writing crisp and to the point, and it was full of interesting characters that I want to know more about! Lots of action and adventure with magic and mystery thrown in the mix. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
A more mature, much less trashy entrant into the “paranormal romance” genre. Mercy is a shape-changing car mechanic with a contentious relationship with her nearest neighbor, the head of the local werewolf pack. When a young runaway werewolf arrives on her doorstep, Mercy gives him a job and tries to integrate him into Adam’s pack. But the werewolf was running from something much more dangerous than Mercy ever imagined…In the course of investigating his past, Mercy finds herself face to face with her first love. Mercy is a sensible, strong and very capable character, and at no point does she “melt” or gibber at some dude. I was impressed with this book, actually. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I swore I wouldn't read any more series with werewolves and vampires, but this series got such good reviews that I gave it a try. Not sure how many of these I will read, but I enjoyed this one. I enjoyed the audiobook too. ( )
  iBeth | Feb 16, 2016 |
I love it when I can read a book for a second time and enjoy even more than the first time. There are a few book worlds that I hate to leave and Mercy's world is one of them. When I finished reading Fire Touched recently, I wanted more Mercy so I decided it was time to listen to some of the audiobooks from this series that have been sitting in my audible account for a couple of years. I was surprised by how much more I liked it this time around.

This is the first book in the Mercy Thompson series and it does a really good job of introducing a large number of the key players in the series. This book is one of the really great first books in an urban fiction series. All of the world building works nicely into the plot. The book opens with a lot of excitement and you just kind of learn how things work as the plot moves forward.

I loved going back to spend time with an earlier Mercy. She is such a wonderful character. She is extremely brave in this story despite being fully aware of her limitations. She is smart and able to make good decisions under pressure. She really shows a protective side in this story with both Mac and Jesse which I really liked. It was really fun spending time with Adam, Samuel, Bran, Zee, Stephen, Jesse, Warren, and the rest of gang in this book.

The mystery in this book was solid. When a young werewolf ends up in Mercy's garage, she quickly learns that some strange things are happening. Adam is quickly pulled into the mystery and is actually quite vulnerable during much of this book. Mercy and the werewolves must find out what is going on and what their motives are in order to keep everyone safe. I really liked seeing how many things from later in the series were foreshadowed in this book. There were so many things that I didn't pick up on during my first reading.

It took me a few minutes to adjust to the narration of this audiobook. Don't get me wrong, I thought the narration was great in the end but Mercy is a character that I have been reading about for years so I had a preconceived notion about what her voice should sound like. The narrator didn't match the voice in my head at the beginning of the story but by the end her voice was Mercy's. I think that the narrator did a fabulous job with all of the different character voices. I really enjoyed how much emotion came across in her reading of the story. I definitely plan to listen to more audiobooks featuring Lorelei King's narration.

I would highly recommend this book and series to fans of urban fiction. The Mercy Thompson series along with the Alpha & Omega series which is set in the same world are among my favorites. This is a series that is best read in order so this book is a great starting point. I am looking forward to re-reading the second book in the series very soon. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Feb 12, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for
Kaye’s mom, Almeda Brown Christensen, who likes my books; Alice and Bill Rieckman who like horses as much as I do; and in memory of Floyd “Buck” Buckner, a good man.
I didn't realize he was a werewolf at first.

Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me too.

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbour is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself...and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441013813, Mass Market Paperback)

Mercy Thompson's life is not exactly normal. Her next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a VW bus for a vampire. But then, Mercy isn't exactly normal herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:10 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible