Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1) by…

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1) (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Patricia Briggs

5,189244861 (4.15)1 / 332
Member:secludere
Title:Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read, Read and owned, Favorites
Tags:shapeshifter, walker, werewolf, vampire, witch, fae

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (2006)

Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews (mak_mohn)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (SunnySD)
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost (asterravos)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Great urban fantasy series, first person narrated by shapeshifting female protagonists.
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (leahsimone, shadiphoenix)
    Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks (Larkken)
    Larkken: Strong female protagonist becomes involved with werewolves. The werewolf packs are organized differently, but the two series deal similarly with issues of independence and also draw in other supernatural beings.
    Stray by Rachel Vincent (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: Both stories are hot and action packed with a young shifter heroine who is rare and thus very coveted and smothered within her pack/pride. She must battle her family to earn her independence, and fight her heart and instincts to avoid being “owned” by HOT men whom drive them crazy with lust and desire. (Stray is a bit more sensual)… (more)
    Heart of Stone (The Negotiator Trilogy, Book 1) by C. E. Murphy (Kassilem)
    Tinker by Wen Spencer (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Urban fantasy and gritty mechanics
    The Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint (catfantastic)
    Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley (deep220)
    Someplace to be Flying by Charles de Lint (MyriadBooks)
    Lonely Werewolf Girl by Martin Millar (GirlMisanthrope)
    Silver Kiss by Naomi Clark (Anonymous user)
    The Price of the Stars by Debra Doyle (mak_mohn)

English (237)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (242)
It felt so good to return to the world that Patricia Briggs has created. To see new characters and revisit ones I knew before. The story was eventful and at times intense but I had trouble putting it down for long. Not quite sure why it wasn't a five star book but it was very close. I love Mercy, spunky and brave she calls to my inner self and says 'hey, it's not easy' and I think it's referring to being strong and brave. The male characters are rather methodical and overbearing but that has its appeal as well. Sam? Or Adam? I don't know who I'd choose, I find them both quite appealing. Alpha's can be downright sexy. She has a hard choice ahead of her. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
Shape shifters, vampires and werewolves, oh my! I picked up Moon Called by Patricia Briggs mostly because it fits a reading challenge. I thought it would be a quick and easy read but I wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I did. Now I am totally hooked and looking at yet another new series!

Mercy Thompson is an independent, snarky, no-fuss heroine who also happens to be a magical being, a shape shifter who can become a coyote at will. Her next door neighbour just happens to be the pack leader of the local werewolf pack. Mercy was raised by werewolves, so she understands the pack dynamics and is well able to hold her own.

Although this book didn’t really bring anything new to the urban fantasy table, it was still an engrossing, fun read and I think that is so because of the writing, in particular the dialogue. Patricia Briggs gives us an inventive, witty, action-packed paranormal mystery that pulled me in and left me eager to continue on with these characters. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 13, 2016 |
Loved the flow of this book. Mercy tries to help a young man who recently went through the "change" and things get out of hand. She's forced to seek help from her neighbor (and pack alpha) Adam. Things are far from resolved and soon she uncovers a conspiracy that takes her to various factions in search of answers. It's been my experience that many first-in-series tend to be info dumps. Not this one. It kept my attention from cover to cover. The author shows us Mercy Thompson and her world as the story progresses.

Mercy is a great character, strong, smart, but still a woman with tender emotions. I love it when a writer "gets" that women can be uber-heroines and still cry when they're alone out of grief, or even frustration. Adam was a great character, but I also liked the chemistry she had with Sam and wonder what the future holds.

Great book! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The story was tight, the writing crisp and to the point, and it was full of interesting characters that I want to know more about! Lots of action and adventure with magic and mystery thrown in the mix. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
A more mature, much less trashy entrant into the “paranormal romance” genre. Mercy is a shape-changing car mechanic with a contentious relationship with her nearest neighbor, the head of the local werewolf pack. When a young runaway werewolf arrives on her doorstep, Mercy gives him a job and tries to integrate him into Adam’s pack. But the werewolf was running from something much more dangerous than Mercy ever imagined…In the course of investigating his past, Mercy finds herself face to face with her first love. Mercy is a sensible, strong and very capable character, and at no point does she “melt” or gibber at some dude. I was impressed with this book, actually. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I swore I wouldn't read any more series with werewolves and vampires, but this series got such good reviews that I gave it a try. Not sure how many of these I will read, but I enjoyed this one. I enjoyed the audiobook too. ( )
  iBeth | Feb 16, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for
Kaye’s mom, Almeda Brown Christensen, who likes my books; Alice and Bill Rieckman who like horses as much as I do; and in memory of Floyd “Buck” Buckner, a good man.
I didn't realize he was a werewolf at first.

Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me too.

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbour is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself...and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441013813, Mass Market Paperback)

Mercy Thompson's life is not exactly normal. Her next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a VW bus for a vampire. But then, Mercy isn't exactly normal herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:10 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,881,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible