Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1) by…

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1) (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Patricia Briggs

4,901224942 (4.16)1 / 295
Member:secludere
Title:Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read, Read and owned, Favorites
Tags:shapeshifter, walker, werewolf, vampire, witch, fae

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (2006)

Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews (mak_mohn)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (SunnySD)
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Great urban fantasy series, first person narrated by shapeshifting female protagonists.
    Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost (asterravos)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (leahsimone, shadiphoenix)
    Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks (Larkken)
    Larkken: Strong female protagonist becomes involved with werewolves. The werewolf packs are organized differently, but the two series deal similarly with issues of independence and also draw in other supernatural beings.
    Stray by Rachel Vincent (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: Both stories are hot and action packed with a young shifter heroine who is rare and thus very coveted and smothered within her pack/pride. She must battle her family to earn her independence, and fight her heart and instincts to avoid being “owned” by HOT men whom drive them crazy with lust and desire. (Stray is a bit more sensual)… (more)
    Heart of Stone by C. E. Murphy (Kassilem)
    Tinker by Wen Spencer (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Urban fantasy and gritty mechanics
    The Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint (catfantastic)
    Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley (deep220)
    Someplace to be Flying by Charles de Lint (MyriadBooks)
    Lonely Werewolf Girl by Martin Millar (GirlMisanthrope)
    Silver Kiss by Naomi Clark (Anonymous user)
    The Price of the Stars by Debra Doyle (mak_mohn)

English (220)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (224)
After twists and turns and scratching of the head Moon Called ended up a pretty satisfying read. First of all, I really like Mercy. As a coyote shifter raised by werewolves she's had a difficult life and always felt like an outsider but it hasn't left her angry, bitter and broken. She's a smart capable heroine that's easy to root for. Mercy stands up for herself amongst the multitude of dominant males surrounding her and manages to do it without coming across and bossy and annoying. She's tough and can hold her own yet knows when to get the hell outta dodge.

One of the problems I had with Moon Called was that the numerous twists and turns in the plot weren't really necessary. First it's one guy who's the big bad, then another, then it's really this other guy that's calling the shots. The first book in a series has so much to put out there that I'm ok with the plot being a little obvious and ordinary. I'd rather get to know the characters and find out what makes them tick. Briggs gave us an excellent look at werewolf politics and structure. I just wish I'd connected with Adam, Sam and even Mercy more. Maybe then when Adam's making out with Mercy on her front porch it would've made more sense. As it was I was left wondering when did she start liking him like that?

Briggs created an intriguing enough world for me to continue on and hopefully discover more of what makes Mercy tick. It promises to be a fun ride! ( )
1 vote Akaria | May 13, 2015 |
[Cross posted to Knite Writes]

I’ve known about Patricia Briggs for a while now, and seeing as I’m on a mission to expand my urban fantasy reads beyond The Dresden Files, I decided to pick up the first two books in this series the last time I stopped by B&N. Unfortunately, I realized too late that, like a lot of urban fantasy authors with fairly long series, Briggs doesn’t really hit her stride in the first book.

My biggest problem with this book was the plot — it was chugging along perfectly fine for a while, and then, in the last third, it suddenly took a turn for the ridiculously convoluted. Literally, characters sat down in a living room and starting throwing out incredibly far-reaching conclusions based on very little information that painted an incredibly confusing, hard-to-follow, picture of the sources of conflict in the novel. There was a point where my eyes glazed over…and I basically stopped reading. Right there. I skimmed quickly through the remaining 40 pages or so just to get an idea of what happened to the major characters.

It was all very unfortunate. But it happens.

As for other aspects of the book…

The characters — there were quite a few characters in this book, and some of them were fairly well characterized while others leaned a bit flat despite their relative importance to the plot. Mercy makes for a decent protagonist with a fairly rich backstory that plays well into the plot of the book, but a lot of the characters, like Adam and Samuel, are lacking in development throughout.

The world-building — was okay. I think the supernatural world could have been fleshed out more and more evenly. One of my issues was that world-building concepts weren’t introduced or even hinted at until they became 100% relevant to the plot. Which is a mistake because, when you do it over and over, it starts to feel like you’re just making it up as you go along, inserting whatever concepts are convenient for the plot. You need to build your world more organically.

All in all, this book has some interesting characters and plot points to offer, but it fell pretty short in several regards, not the least of which was the ending. ( )
  TherinKnite | Apr 21, 2015 |
If there is one word I could use to describe what I thought about Moon Called, it would be 'disappointed'. I bought it on a recommendation from one of the reading groups I belonged to and while I don't hate the book, I am quite disappointed by it.

I loved the first third of the book, I loved the intro to Mercy and the local pack. I loved the entire set up that could have seen Mercy kicking arse and taking names. However this set-up fizzled out.

She reaches her old stomping grounds and the plot gets lost in alpha wolf rubbish and a overabundance of characters. I particularly didn't like Sam (kinda thought he came across as creepy particularly with the 'necking at 16, pretending to be her age, only wanting her for babies - yuck) Would have liked Mercy to tell Sam to 'eff off' or punch him because he used her - not for the 'actually he wuvs her' bollocks to start up. I also hated the fact that every female werewolf in the book didn't like Mercy and I mean 'every' one, purely because of her magical ability to make babies. Seriously getting annoyed with this kind of world building for werewolf fiction - if male werewolves can procreate, why can't the women?

Also the reasoning behind the plot was.... meh.. who was Gerry? Why did he do this? Why do we care? I was expecting the baddies to be some secretive government lab, not whatever the outcome was. Seriously I lost the plot about two thirds of the way through.

So very disappointed - I may read book two and hope it improves. But I don't think I'll be recommending book one to my friends - I would have on the strength on the first third. ( )
  Claire.Warner | Feb 8, 2015 |

Claire.Warner | Feb 8, 2015 |
I read Moon Called back in the fall of 2013 and really got a kick out of it! Urban Fantasy is not a genre I have spent much time with although I have read a couple of Kelly Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series.

When the 75's decided to have a Mercy Thompson / World of the Marrok group read I decided to jump in.

I discovered this series after coming across a list of authors recommended by Todd McCaffrey. A fan had lamented the fact that Anne McCaffrey was no longer alive and writing and indicating that there was a dearth of "like" writers. He responded with a list of his favourite authors who have created other worlds or who write about our world with other creatures etc.

I decided to re-read Moon Called and I elected to' listen' to the story this time, narrated by Lorelei King. Enjoyed it very much. Lorelei's voice really fits in my mind; she sounds like I think Mercy Thompson would sound. I find it really hard to listen to books that are narrated by someone whose voice bears no resemblance to the character I have imagined. For instance, Robert B. Parker's Spenser series. So hard to listen to; love the stories, hate the voice/s!

I love reading about the challenges of being 'different' and the social commentary that is woven through the book. Patricia Briggs makes subtle reference to global issues. For instance Mercy comments on the role of women in the world of The Marrok vs the role of women in our Western Society.

What is most important for me, in reading fiction, is character development. Getting to know the protagonist and those around her or him. The story is secondary to me. I am hooked when I want to learn more and more about how a character thinks and feels. I want to know more!

Another thing I enjoyed is the relationship between Mercy and Adam and Samuel. I look forward to seeing the evolution of Mercy's relationship with these two,

I give this book ★ ★ ★½ ( )
  ccookie | Jan 20, 2015 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for
Kaye’s mom, Almeda Brown Christensen, who likes my books; Alice and Bill Rieckman who like horses as much as I do; and in memory of Floyd “Buck” Buckner, a good man.
I didn't realize he was a werewolf at first.

Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me too.

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbour is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself...and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441013813, Mass Market Paperback)

Mercy Thompson's life is not exactly normal. Her next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a VW bus for a vampire. But then, Mercy isn't exactly normal herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:18 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,215,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible