Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1) by…

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1) (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Patricia Briggs

5,219246853 (4.15)1 / 335
Member:secludere
Title:Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read, Read and owned, Favorites
Tags:shapeshifter, walker, werewolf, vampire, witch, fae

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (2006)

Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews (mak_mohn)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (SunnySD)
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost (asterravos)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Great urban fantasy series, first person narrated by shapeshifting female protagonists.
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (leahsimone, shadiphoenix)
    Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks (Larkken)
    Larkken: Strong female protagonist becomes involved with werewolves. The werewolf packs are organized differently, but the two series deal similarly with issues of independence and also draw in other supernatural beings.
    Stray by Rachel Vincent (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: Both stories are hot and action packed with a young shifter heroine who is rare and thus very coveted and smothered within her pack/pride. She must battle her family to earn her independence, and fight her heart and instincts to avoid being “owned” by HOT men whom drive them crazy with lust and desire. (Stray is a bit more sensual)… (more)
    Heart of Stone (The Negotiator Trilogy, Book 1) by C. E. Murphy (Kassilem)
    Tinker by Wen Spencer (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Urban fantasy and gritty mechanics
    The Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint (catfantastic)
    Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley (deep220)
    Someplace to be Flying by Charles de Lint (MyriadBooks)
    Lonely Werewolf Girl by Martin Millar (GirlMisanthrope)
    Silver Kiss by Naomi Clark (Anonymous user)
    The Price of the Stars by Debra Doyle (mak_mohn)

English (241)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (246)
Great book. I already read two of this authors other books and had a general idea of the series' premise from my friend's description and this book did not disappoint. I can't wait to read the rest and learn more about these characters :) ( )
  thanbini | Jun 19, 2016 |
First book in my favorite paranormal romance series. I read this years ago, but am working my way through the series again this summer. I'd forgotten how many characters, and how much world building, was done from the start. Still greatly enjoyable, with just enough romance for my taste, along with plenty of action and mystery, and characters that are compelling. The cover makes this book look far cheesier than it actually is, which is why I always read the kindle versions of these books. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jun 15, 2016 |
Dance when the moon sings, and don't cry about troubles that haven't yet come.

I’d heard about this series for over a year before I indulged. People raved on the Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance forums over it constantly, so who wouldn’t be curious? Shapeshifters aren’t really my thing, but Urban Fantasy, series, and good stories are, so I was eager to dive into it and join the “raving” crowds. Did it live up to my expectation?

From the start it’s clear that Mercy is now your ordinary female protagonist. It’s a refreshing change to go to someone without a massive chip on the shoulder. As a sweet natured gal, she’s also independent in an unusual career – owning an auto shop and repairing cars. She lives in a trailer by the more luxurious house of the town’s werewolf pack master, whom she loves to irritate and goad in all sorts of sarcastic ways. Being a different kind of shifter, she’s usually killed by the predators, but is under protection of sorts because of her history and connections. Wary, she keeps her distance as much as possible but must work with the alpha in this particular story.

The book lends plenty of chuckles when encountering the powerful, dominating alpha and his human teenage, and of course her pal Stefan, a vampire who keeps bringing in his van, painted like the Scooby Doo vehicle, for repair.

Not all is fun and games when an attack forces Mercy to go back to her hometown and face an old friend who turned betrayer (at least in her mind), she found out why he was really interested in her.

Really the story shines due to Mercy. She actually has common sense leading her around and is missing that massive bitch-chip on the shoulder so many other UF Protagonists have. Adam’s a bit dreamy and Stefan interests me, but frankly the story always squeaks by. It’s bland. The world feels unevenly structured when it comes to supernatural explanations and hierarchy. This could be since it’s the first novel, though, so waiting to see how it expands. The mystery is decent but takes a bit long to reach.

Briggs writes well – her dialogue is especially right on. She saves the suspense and excitement more toward the end for this one – which is a semi-risky move when it comes to a first novel in a series. If you’re interest holds, it gets better.

Overall this decent series appetizer left me wanting to read more, not really for the story, but for the melodrama in some of the character’s lives. All “loveable”, they have intriguing potential. Not every series starts with a bang, but as long as it gets there, then that’s the point of continuing and trying on for size right there.

Recommended for when you want some Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, and want to toss in some fun, elbow grease, engine oil, and a feisty, unique female.

ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Enjoyable, entertaining read ( )
  Emmy_Gerard | Jun 3, 2016 |
Moon Called
4 Stars

An enjoyable story and engaging characters but also suffers from the trials and tribulations of being the first book in a series.

The world building is detailed and interesting but takes up a large portion of the book. This affects the pacing of the story as the author takes the time to provide information on the history of the various supernatural creatures that inhabit Mercy's world. There is a compelling mix of vampires, werewolves, witches and the ubiquitous fae - all with their own magical abilities and social dynamics. Mercy herself appears to be the last remaining Skinwalker or Walker, a person born with the ability to shift into a coyote.

The mystery is good although the culprit is glaringly obvious. Moreover, his motivation is anything but easy to understand and it took me a couple of passes through the convoluted explanation at the end to grasp the exact reasoning behind his actions.

The characters both primary and secondary are very appealing and discovering their fates kept me listening well into the night. Mercy is not your typical mechanic - smart, sassy and kick-ass, she holds her own in the patriarchial hierarchy of the wolf pack and makes the alliances necessary to live her life in a world slowly coming to terms with the existence of the supernatural.

The men in Mercy's life are a mixed bag from the fatherly Zee offering words of wisdom to the enigmatic Stephan and his mysterious vampire queen. The love interests include Samuel, Mercy's childhood sweetheart whose past actions had me adding him to my anti-hottie harem, and Adam, the sexy werewolf alpha with a soft spot for Mercy.

On a final note, Lorelei King's narration is superb and she sets the right tone for the story and for the characters.

Looking forward to continuing with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for
Kaye’s mom, Almeda Brown Christensen, who likes my books; Alice and Bill Rieckman who like horses as much as I do; and in memory of Floyd “Buck” Buckner, a good man.
I didn't realize he was a werewolf at first.

Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me too.

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbour is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself...and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441013813, Mass Market Paperback)

Mercy Thompson's life is not exactly normal. Her next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a VW bus for a vampire. But then, Mercy isn't exactly normal herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:10 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,886,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible