Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1) by…

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1) (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Patricia Briggs

4,937226928 (4.15)1 / 300
Member:secludere
Title:Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read, Read and owned, Favorites
Tags:shapeshifter, walker, werewolf, vampire, witch, fae

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (2006)

Recently added bymariahjhudec, Merhlynne, archivalistic, private library, TLJ, barbrude, CC123, aczkh
    Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews (mak_mohn)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (SunnySD)
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Great urban fantasy series, first person narrated by shapeshifting female protagonists.
    Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost (asterravos)
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (leahsimone, shadiphoenix)
    Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, Book 3) by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks (Larkken)
    Larkken: Strong female protagonist becomes involved with werewolves. The werewolf packs are organized differently, but the two series deal similarly with issues of independence and also draw in other supernatural beings.
    Stray by Rachel Vincent (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: Both stories are hot and action packed with a young shifter heroine who is rare and thus very coveted and smothered within her pack/pride. She must battle her family to earn her independence, and fight her heart and instincts to avoid being “owned” by HOT men whom drive them crazy with lust and desire. (Stray is a bit more sensual)… (more)
    Heart of Stone by C. E. Murphy (Kassilem)
    Tinker by Wen Spencer (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Urban fantasy and gritty mechanics
    The Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint (catfantastic)
    Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley (deep220)
    Someplace to be Flying by Charles de Lint (MyriadBooks)
    Lonely Werewolf Girl by Martin Millar (GirlMisanthrope)
    Silver Kiss by Naomi Clark (Anonymous user)
    The Price of the Stars by Debra Doyle (mak_mohn)

English (222)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (226)
First book I've read by Patricia Briggs and I like it a lot. I'm going to look for more books in the series. I like the world building, the characters are interesting, particularly the heroine, and the book really moves along. I'm not into werewolves books but for her books, I will make an exception. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Aug 5, 2015 |
I have never read an urban fantasy other than Anne Rice, and so I have limited resources to judge this book on. So I'm not really sure what else this genre has to offer. This book was highly recommended for this genre, so that's why I picked it.
The story felt extremely rushed. There wasn't really any exposition or character development in the beginning so I didn't really care all that much about any of the main characters. I like there to be a little build up so you get invested in them.
All in all it was a fast read and entertaining. But not amazing. ( )
  Kiddboyblue | Jul 21, 2015 |
very likable main character - good support characters - good mythos building - good world building - decent technical scope - overall would read more by author ( )
  jason9292 | Jul 15, 2015 |
After twists and turns and scratching of the head Moon Called ended up a pretty satisfying read. First of all, I really like Mercy. As a coyote shifter raised by werewolves she's had a difficult life and always felt like an outsider but it hasn't left her angry, bitter and broken. She's a smart capable heroine that's easy to root for. Mercy stands up for herself amongst the multitude of dominant males surrounding her and manages to do it without coming across and bossy and annoying. She's tough and can hold her own yet knows when to get the hell outta dodge.

One of the problems I had with Moon Called was that the numerous twists and turns in the plot weren't really necessary. First it's one guy who's the big bad, then another, then it's really this other guy that's calling the shots. The first book in a series has so much to put out there that I'm ok with the plot being a little obvious and ordinary. I'd rather get to know the characters and find out what makes them tick. Briggs gave us an excellent look at werewolf politics and structure. I just wish I'd connected with Adam, Sam and even Mercy more. Maybe then when Adam's making out with Mercy on her front porch it would've made more sense. As it was I was left wondering when did she start liking him like that?

Briggs created an intriguing enough world for me to continue on and hopefully discover more of what makes Mercy tick. It promises to be a fun ride! ( )
1 vote Akaria | May 13, 2015 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for
Kaye’s mom, Almeda Brown Christensen, who likes my books; Alice and Bill Rieckman who like horses as much as I do; and in memory of Floyd “Buck” Buckner, a good man.
I didn't realize he was a werewolf at first.

Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me too.

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbour is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself...and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441013813, Mass Market Paperback)

Mercy Thompson's life is not exactly normal. Her next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a VW bus for a vampire. But then, Mercy isn't exactly normal herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:10 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,076,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible