Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1) by…

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1) (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Patricia Briggs

5,397250806 (4.15)1 / 351
Member:secludere
Title:Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read, Read and owned, Favorites
Tags:shapeshifter, walker, werewolf, vampire, witch, fae

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (2006)

Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (Kerian)
    Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews (mak_mohn)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (SunnySD)
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (leahsimone)
    Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost (asterravos)
    Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Great urban fantasy series, first person narrated by shapeshifting female protagonists.
    Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (leahsimone, shadiphoenix)
    Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn (amberwitch)
    Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks (Larkken)
    Larkken: Strong female protagonist becomes involved with werewolves. The werewolf packs are organized differently, but the two series deal similarly with issues of independence and also draw in other supernatural beings.
    Stray by Rachel Vincent (OmaRoses)
    OmaRoses: Both stories are hot and action packed with a young shifter heroine who is rare and thus very coveted and smothered within her pack/pride. She must battle her family to earn her independence, and fight her heart and instincts to avoid being “owned” by HOT men whom drive them crazy with lust and desire. (Stray is a bit more sensual)… (more)
    Heart of Stone by C. E. Murphy (Kassilem)
    Tinker by Wen Spencer (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Urban fantasy and gritty mechanics
    The Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint (catfantastic)
    Pride Mates by Jennifer Ashley (deep220)
    Someplace to be Flying by Charles de Lint (MyriadBooks)
    Lonely Werewolf Girl by Martin Millar (GirlMisanthrope)
    Silver Kiss by Naomi Clark (Anonymous user)
    The Price of the Stars by Debra Doyle (mak_mohn)

English (245)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All (250)
Patricia Briggs is a wonderful writer and this book reinforces her position as an accomplished storyteller. I loved the character of Mercy and the way she handles herself in all challenges, including the men in her life. She has a grace, a kind of transcendent quality that is brilliantly portrayed without losing her very real, human and self preserving qualities.

Briggs' werewolves and pack politics are well thought out and true to the world she has creative. The vampires are cool and deadly. We don't hanker after any of them, reflecting a more Rice view than Myer or Harris. I liked the contrast. 4.5 stars and looking forward to the next one! ( )
  KimFalconer | Jan 29, 2017 |
I read this as an assignment for a course in writing Fantasy and Science Fiction. Urban paranormal isn't my usual fare, and this story had LOTS of paranormals in it. I think just about every type of nonhuman character appeared at one point or another, except maybe zombies. In a way it was a little too much. Although it was explained how they coexisted as paranormals with humans or in some cases kept their true identity secret, I had a hard time buying that they could accomplish this in a small community such as the one in the story. It was fast paced, and I learned a lot about werewolves. I suspect fans of this genre would enjoy it.
  devorah_fox | Jan 10, 2017 |
I loved this book. Mercy Thompson is an excellent heroine. Her strengths are not defined by her mystical powers as a walker but as an adaptable person with special abilities. Raised by werewolves she understands the inner workings of being part of a pack without the bother of actually having to conform and be pack. It is the readers priviledge to get an inside look at Mercy's knowledge of "others" and things that go bump in the night.

Mercy is an auto mechanic who finds herself deep into a mystery which involves newbie werewolves invading the local alpha's territory, kidnapping, and a handful of vampires (everyone knows vampires cannot be trusted.) So what is a young headstrong woman to do? Get involved. Of course.

What I found completely fasinating about this book was that Briggs created a world that ties together basic "knowledge" of werewolves and vampires and her vision of the otherworld seemlessly. As a reader we get history 101 on werewolves without feeling like we just sat through a boring 8 hour lecture.

The other characters in the book are just as wonderful as Mercy. I can't wait to read more about them in future books. ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
Moon Called
4 Stars

An enjoyable story and engaging characters but also suffers from the trials and tribulations of being the first book in a series.

The world building is detailed and interesting but takes up a large portion of the book. This affects the pacing of the story as the author takes the time to provide information on the history of the various supernatural creatures that inhabit Mercy's world. There is a compelling mix of vampires, werewolves, witches and the ubiquitous fae - all with their own magical abilities and social dynamics. Mercy herself appears to be the last remaining Skinwalker or Walker, a person born with the ability to shift into a coyote.

The mystery is good although the culprit is glaringly obvious. Moreover, his motivation is anything but easy to understand and it took me a couple of passes through the convoluted explanation at the end to grasp the exact reasoning behind his actions.

The characters both primary and secondary are very appealing and discovering their fates kept me listening well into the night. Mercy is not your typical mechanic - smart, sassy and kick-ass, she holds her own in the patriarchial hierarchy of the wolf pack and makes the alliances necessary to live her life in a world slowly coming to terms with the existence of the supernatural.

The men in Mercy's life are a mixed bag from the fatherly Zee offering words of wisdom to the enigmatic Stephan and his mysterious vampire queen. The love interests include Samuel, Mercy's childhood sweetheart whose past actions had me adding him to my anti-hottie harem, and Adam, the sexy werewolf alpha with a soft spot for Mercy.

On a final note, Lorelei King's narration is superb and she sets the right tone for the story and for the characters.

Looking forward to continuing with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
This engaging paranormal mystery draws you into an alternate world with a shapeshifter heroine and a sexy werewolf, among others. (Because you like Charlaine Harris)

Mercy Thompson's life is not exactly normal. Her next-door neighbor is a werewolf, her former boss is a gremlin, and she's fixing a VW bus for a vampire. But then, Mercy isn't exactly normal herself.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Nov 8, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for
Kaye’s mom, Almeda Brown Christensen, who likes my books; Alice and Bill Rieckman who like horses as much as I do; and in memory of Floyd “Buck” Buckner, a good man.
I didn't realize he was a werewolf at first.

Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me too.

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbour is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself...and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441013813, Mass Market Paperback)

Mercy Thompson's life is not exactly normal. Her next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a VW bus for a vampire. But then, Mercy isn't exactly normal herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:10 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,458,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible