Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint by Nancy…

Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint

by Nancy Kress

This book is aimed at writers, although I found it helpful for recognizing techniques and style in writing as well. Its focus is on characterization, developing characters, their actions and emotions, expressing feelings, and making it consistent. It looks at different genres and how characters can fit in, and it explores characterization and different narrator viewpoints.

Through it all, Nancy includes good examples and has exercises at the end of each chapter to help the reader explore what she has been explaining.

The book works very well for writers and writer want-to-bes, but readers will find a lot of value as well. ( )
  Nodosaurus | Aug 2, 2013 |
Decent wrap of of the more technical aspects of writing: 'what it says on the tin' pretty much. Some good exercises at the end of the chapters (really, the only reason I go for "how to write" books. ( )
  MarieAlt | Mar 31, 2013 |
Great handbook for anyone who loves to write. I've read many how-to-write books and many of them seems quite basic, repeating the same concepts from different perspectives, but I found this one to deal with more complicate and subtle issues on how to make rounder characters (how to make contradictory emotions believable, etc.)

I've never read any of Nancy Kress's novels (I provably should), but this is the second handbook that I've read from her (the first being Beginnins, Middles and Ends), and she seems to have great advice to offer. ( )
  kinsey_m | Sep 3, 2012 |
This book was more textbook-like than most of the writing books I have, but I found it quite useful, even if it was slow reading (But not dry! The writing was entertaining.). The parts I found most useful were about using humor and emotion, and the differences between types of point of view. I often get confused between the various types of third person and omniscient, so it was nice to have it explained and see some examples. There are also writing exercises at the end of each section. I haven’t done any of them yet, but I like to know that they’re there in case I need some review in the future. ( )
  miyurose | Jun 14, 2010 |
The section on POVs was worth the price of admission alone. ( )
  wktarin | Jan 14, 2009 |
To Jamie, Pat, and all the other authors of the future.
Have you ever hunted for a book enthusiastically recommended by a friend ("You'll love it!"), bought it, read it . . . and been greatly disappointed?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,740,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible