That Night by Alice McDermott

That Night

by Alice McDermott

289None38,817 (3.61)12
Recently added byprivate library, library.sec.cha, witchkitten, Commenterri, rcvp90

English (8)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (10)
Many of us who grew up in the 60's can relate to the events in this novel. Mcdermott presents a single, memorable (small town) event and develops it into a full blown novel.I think the theme of the novel is "despite everything, life goes on". The author is not particularly optimistic. Her characters don't rise above their current and past situations, but none the less, they do survive. Mcderdermott is a top notch novelist, but I would intersperse her works with more uplifting fiction. ( )
  Betty.Ann.Beam | Nov 19, 2013 |
A much better book than her first one! ( )
  briannad84 | Mar 29, 2013 |
A sweet story of two teenage lovers fighting for their love & happiness against all odds and told from the view of a youngster in their neighborhood. I enjoyed it. ( )
  shesinplainview | Jan 22, 2013 |
A masterpiece. I wish I'd read this book this morning when I was still able to write coherently instead of midnight when I'm in the last seven hours of a twenty-four hour read-a-thon. I loved the way the author switches from first person singular narrator to first person plural narrator in the story. I also loved the way the author provides little glimpses of the future for the characters who pop into the narrative. These give the story a big vision both broad and yet full of disappointment. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |
I got this book through BookCrossing; it sounded interesting enough. And it was interesting, I guess, but nothing spectacular. The musings of a young girl who was aware of a "scandal" in her town when one of the local girls became pregnant. Evocative of the era in which it is set - the early 1960s - perhaps that is why I wasn't in love with the book. That period is not particularly interesting to me, I guess. ( )
  herebedragons | Jan 4, 2009 |

On a warm suburban night, the sound of lawn sprinklers is drowned out by the rumble of hot rods. Suddenly a car careens onto a family’s neat front yard, teenage boys spill out brandishing chains and leather, and a young man cries out for the girl he loves. Tonight fathers will pick up snow shovels and rakes to defend their turf, and children will witness a battle fueled by fierce, true love. This is the night they will talk about and remember as the moment everything changed forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:47 -0400)

On a warm suburban night, the sound of lawn sprinklers is drowned out by the rumble of hot rods. Suddenly, a car careens onto a family's neat front yard, teenage boys spill out brandishing chains and leather, and a young man cries out for the girl he loves. Tonight, fathers will pick up snow shovels and rakes to defend their turf, and children will witness a battle fuelled by fierce and true love. This is the night they will talk about and remember as the moment that changed everything forever.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible