You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short…

You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together

by Mary Ann Hoberman, Michael Emberley (Illustrator)

Very Short Stories to Read together
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
The color coordination will help you keep track along with where the words are on the page. If the words are the middle you read together. It is a short book with longer animal themed poems.
  booklist520 | Jun 4, 2017 |
You Read to Me, I'll Read to You is an excellent book to introduce kids to numerous early literacy concepts. The book itself is comprised of multiple fairy tales that kids are familiar with such as: Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, Goldilocks, and the Three Little Pigs. However the way the text is organized is what makes it notable. This book emphasizes social read-alouds by emphasizing different roles that people can assume. This makes the book a perfect medium to utilize a reader's theater activity in the classroom. This can be done in small groups where each child can assume a different role and read aloud their lines. It is even easier for children to distinguish between each other's roles because of the use of color codes for each unique role. Not only does this book emphasize reading out loud, it also has predictable rhyming that children will enjoy. The illustrations also depict the dialogue accurately and is full of color and expression. After the reader's theater session, children can then read aloud their specific fairy tale with their peers via presentations. ( )
  wxv002 | Sep 17, 2016 |
This book is filled with common fairy tales retold in dialogue between two of the characters. While some of the stories end a little differently than the original stories, they all have a happy twist. In The Princess and the Pea, the pea complains about being squished and not so happy to be stuck underneath. In the end, the princess and the pea come up with a plan so the pea can be part of the coming nuptials. This is a fun poetry book for young readers. ( )
  jmillerlits | Jul 9, 2016 |
While I like the concept of this book, I only liked certain parts of the book, as there were things that I feel did not add to it. I liked that this book is written in first person so the kids can read it to each other and I like the diversity of the stories and how they play out. I really liked the fact that the author wrote these fairy tales out in first person with the colors changing for each character so it is easy to follow; this is what tells the children to change who is reading. There are also instructions on the very first page for when each child should read their part. The author wrote out each part in first person by changing the stories so each story has only two main characters; he used the pea and the princess as his two main characters and had them discuss sleeping arrangements together. The second reason I liked this book is how the author changed these stories and created happy endings. As an example, with the previously stated princess and the pea story, the author made the princess talk to the pea about how the pea should not sleep under her bed but instead on her pillow so they both could get a good night's sleep. While this is not how the story plays out originally, the fact that the author find a way to keep to the story but also change it to a happy ending is very unique. The main message of this book is that there are always two sides to a story and it is best to listen to both to come up with a solution. ( )
  taylorsmith11 | Dec 1, 2015 |

Mary Ann Hobermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Emberley, MichaelIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Eight favorite fairy tales in very short tellings, told in two voices to allow reading together.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,166,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible