Girls of Riyadh by Rajaa Alsanea

Girls of Riyadh (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Rajaa Alsanea, Rajaa Alsanea (Translator), Marilyn Booth (Translator)

Member:BettcherForrest
Title:Girls of Riyadh
Authors:Rajaa Alsanea
Other authors:Rajaa Alsanea (Translator), Marilyn Booth (Translator)
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:Saudi Arabia, Islam

Girls of Riyadh by Rajaa Alsanea (2005)

English (48)  French (2)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (58)
Have you ever watched or read Gossip Girl? Well, this is the Arabic version.

Girls of Riyadh is a very captivating story. I read some part of it in English but when I knew it was originally written in Arabic, I bought the Arabic version and devoured it. Such an interesting intense read.

Very sad, real and captivating. I absolutely loved it. Though I think the end was rushed and incomplete. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
What I liked about this book was that it was set in Saudi Arabia and it let you into the lives of upper class women in Saudi Arabia. I had no prior knowledge of day to day life in Saudi Arabia and I found that very interesting.

What I didn't like was that I felt this was the Saudi version of chick lit. It seemed to have lots of women who's big goal was to fall in love and catch themselves a husband. And in order to get the husband they had to be deceptive and play games. That part of the book annoyed me. I felt like there must be more to their lives than just fall in love and snag a good husband. ( )
  KamGeb | Aug 31, 2015 |
Not predictable. Intricate yet gossipy. ( )
  jessicaofthebees | Aug 15, 2015 |
Not predictable. Intricate yet gossipy. ( )
  valerietheblonde | Aug 5, 2015 |
A foray into the possibilities of love taken from the perspective of 4 young women. Not brilliant writing, nor deep thought. It is what it is. ( )
  TomMcGreevy | Jul 16, 2015 |

Mossaad, AntonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rooke, TetzTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smiths-Jacob, BertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woillez, CharlotteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Verily, Allah does not change a people's condition until they change what is in themselves." -- Qur'an, Surat Al-Ra'd (The Chapter of Thunder), Verse 11
To my most beloved; Mom and sister Rasha and to all my friends, the Girls of Riyadh
Ladies and Gentlemen: You are invited to join me in one of the most explosive scandals and noisiest, wildest all-night parties around.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014311347X, Paperback)

When Rajaa Alsanea boldly chose to open up the hidden world of Saudi women—their private lives and their conflicts with the traditions of their culture—she caused a sensation across the Arab world. Now in English, Alsanea’s tale of the personal struggles of four young upper-class women offers Westerners an unprecedented glimpse into a society often veiled from view. Living in restrictive Riyadh but traveling all over the globe, these modern Saudi women literally and figuratively shed traditional garb as they search for love, fulfillment, and their place somewhere in between Western society and their Islamic home.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:31 -0400)

The tale of four young women university students from Riyadh follows their struggles to navigate the precarious paths between desire, fulfillment, and Islamic tradition while witnessing how the Arab world is being changed by new economic and political realities.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible