The Power of the Dog by Don Winslow

The Power of the Dog (2005)

by Don Winslow

Series: Art Keller (1)

English (42)  Spanish (6)  Italian (3)  Catalan (2)  German (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (58)
First of a trilogy about the war on drugs and the agents who fight that war - not for the squeamish that's for sure. Plays to me well - I see the absurd nature of that fight...[in progress] ( )
  dbsovereign | Jun 8, 2019 |
A couple of years ago I picked up a second hand copy of The Winter of Frankie Machine at a book sale. It had an unusual title and I was intrigued. And so began the joyful experience of reading everything I could find by Don Winslow.

I have read another eight books by him and recommend them all. But this one, this one is awesome. This book is why I love reading. I don't give many books five stars, but this one thoroughly deserves it.

I am looking forward to The Cartel next, but I want to savour this one for a little while first. ( )
  KerryD1971 | May 19, 2019 |
This needs to be made into a movie. So much awesome. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
kindle, crime, thriller, Art Keller
  ghlibrary | Mar 4, 2019 |
The first novel in Winslow's border trilogy serves more as a singleton than the first of 3 books in a series, nonetheless that does not take away from it's excellence. If anything, the violence is at it's most raw in this novel, as it follows the rise of a brutal Mexican drug lord and his pursuit by an equally dogged DEA agent. ( )
  AlanGilbert | Mar 4, 2019 |

Hilton Andersen, AllanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hirte, ChrisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michalski, FreddyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murillo, Eduardo G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deliver my soul from the sword; my love from the power of the dog.

~ Psalms 22:20
In memory of Sue Rubinsky,
who always wanted to learn the truth
The baby is dead in his mother's arms.
Et Art sent la présence du mal pur, un mal absolu. La griffe du chien.

The title, "The Power of the Dog" comes from the Psalms: Save my soul from the sword, my love from the power of the dog. And Don Winslow's masterpiece is not only a page-turning thriller but also a rich and compelling novel about a very mixed group of characters, each in his or her own way seeking some sort of salvation or redemption. The plot is essentially simple: how the US government and some of its quasi-autonomous agencies (CIA, FBI, DEA) all for their own reasons encouraged, sponsored and actively financed and helped the development of the drug cartels and their trade in Mexico. Groups of characters are - a young Chicano boy from the Barrio who makes good and becomes a Senator (and who is the target of an assassination plot that tops and tails the book); a morally troubled DEA boss who tries to do good, but who is driven by events and by a desire both for salvation and revenge to sleep with the devil; and the various gang leaders, some of them psychopathic, others urbane, civilised and deadly; a high-class prostitute; and a charismatic Catholic priest who is dedicated to the improvement of the lives of his people. Out of this simple material, Winslow has built a novel that works on so many levels and offers so many satisfactions it defies belief. Praise for Don Winslow: 'Don Winslow is the kind of cult writer who is so good you almost want to keep him to yourself, as if letting everyone in on the secret will somehow dilute the pleasure. So gulp down this book, tell all your friends, and remember - you heard it here first!' - Ian Rankin. 'The Death and Life of Bobby Z. It has whiplash speed, deliciously sleazoid characters and a major altitude problem. What a blast!' - Carl Hiaasen.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:49 -0400)

Overview: From the New York Times bestselling author of The Cartel comes an explosive novel of the drug trade that takes you deep inside a world riddled with corruption, betrayal, and bloody revenge. The prequel to The Cartel, and set about 10 years earlier, The Power of the Dog introduces a brilliant cast of characters. Art Keller is an obsessive DEA agent. The Barrera brothers are heirs to a drug empire. Nora Hayden is a jaded teenager who becomes a high-class hooker. Father Parada is a powerful and incorruptible Catholic priest. Callan is an Irish kid from Hell's kitchen who grows up to be a merciless hit man. And they are all trapped in the world of the Mexican drug Federacion. From the streets of New York City to Mexico City and Tijuana to the jungles of Central America, this is the war on drugs like you've never seen it.… (more)

Don Winslow is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible