El poder del perro by Don Winslow

El poder del perro (original 2005; edition 2009)

by Don Winslow, Rodrigo Fresán, Eduardo G. Murillo

Member:susana.clm
Title:El poder del perro
Authors:Don Winslow
Other authors:Rodrigo Fresán, Eduardo G. Murillo
Info:[Barcelona] : Roja & Negra , 2009
Rating:*****

The Power of the Dog by Don Winslow (2005)

English (24)  Spanish (6)  Italian (3)  Catalan (2)  German (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Basque (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (41)
I absolutely loved this book. Hands down, without any equivocating, this is a five star book. I literally could not put it down. I had the novel blues after I finished – you know the ailment where you just finished a really fabo, on time novel and then its over? I was lucky, I found a couple of books afterwards that brought me down slowly but I am on a mission to read everything this author has written.

As for this book....the story is very multi-layered and complex. Art is a DEA agent. He is Mexican American and grew up in the barrios of San Diego. He has partners that he is enmeshed with and cares about but at the same time, he is on a mission to bring down the Mexican drug cartels. Through the course of the novel, he will travel the world following the money and the drugs and the players. He will lose some of himself, destroy some relationships and develop others. He has a complicated history with some of the members of the cartel.

The cartel building part of the story was a la 'The Godfather”. One corrupt cop has figured out how to use the political and military regimes and machines in Mexico to exploit the black market drug trade. What starts off as penny ante dealing, evolves over a thirty year period that the book covers, into a multi-headed hydra. Three individuals, two of them being the Don's nephews, control all of Mexico and the United States with their hands also dipped into several Central American countries.

Into this mix enter the CIA and the Italian Mafia. Both have vested interests in keeping the drug trade active and healthy. The CIA does so for both control and to create political stability or instability in countries where the United States has particular interests. NAFTA trade plays a role, as does supporting or decimating regimes that no longer serve United States interests. The Italian Mafia is working with both the cartels and the CIA. Their interests are primarily monetary but there is a whole other sub-story involving Irish and Italian control of Boston neighborhoods as well as the development in all groups of hit men.

Not to be eliminated from the complexities, the Catholic Church also plays an important role in the story. The main Padre is a powerful priest whose strong community development and social justice vision, not only pits him against the cartels but also propels his own position into an upward trajectory through the involvement and intervention of the Vatican. The Vatican benefits as the cartel and the mafia are highly Roman Catholic in nature and are often providing huge amounts of money to secure the cooperation of the church.

The last player in this piece is a high end escort. She goes from being a small time school girl prostitute in San Diego to being a highly paid companion of many of the men in power. In addition to this, she develops a very close relationship with the priest. Her character study is a real look into what money can and cannot buy as well as the complexities of the relationships and connections she makes in the world of the drug trade.

Although a work of fiction, this book really gets into the meat and potatoes of how these cartels operate and what each stakeholder has invested right down to their very lives. Great character studies, a ton of action and a wonderfully complicated plot that really engages you as a reader. The book was not easy to put down and I have to confess there were many nights when I was up until dawn because I just could not stop reading. I fully intend to get everything this author has done. What a writer!!! A five star book is hard to find and this is a five plus plus in my opinion! ( )
  ozzieslim | Jun 16, 2016 |
Didn't expect to like this book - a book club read, and not my favorite genre or topic, but was surprised at the start. An easy enough read, moved right along, was drawn to the story of Nora (found her sympathetic & believeable) but by the time I was half-way thru, was feeling bogged down. It seemed I was reading the same thing, over and over again, different characters, same violence & murder, ad nauseum & ad finitum. And I didn't care about any of it. Just wanted it to end. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | May 19, 2016 |
This and the Cartel are two of my favorite books of the last decade. The ice pick in the shin scene will scar you in the same way that the "Squeal like a pig" scene did in Deliverance. ( )
  librarylord99 | Mar 10, 2016 |
Epic story spanning several decades and told from several points of views. If you are into your gangster films like goodfellas then you will enjoy. Unbelievably well crafted tale. ( )
  polarbear123 | Mar 5, 2016 |
One of the best books I've read in a very long time.
Think [b:The Given Day|2830067|The Given Day (Coughlin #1)|Dennis Lehane|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1442866887s/2830067.jpg|2856172] by [a:Dennis Lehane|10289|Dennis Lehane|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1227580381p2/10289.jpg], just waaaaay more violent and gritty. And frank way better.
  SimonLarsen | Jan 25, 2016 |

Hilton Andersen, AllanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hirte, ChrisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michalski, FreddyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murillo, Eduardo G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deliver my soul from the sword; my love from the power of the dog.

~ Psalms 22:20
In memory of Sue Rubinsky,
who always wanted to learn the truth
The baby is dead in his mother's arms.
Et Art sent la présence du mal pur, un mal absolu. La griffe du chien.

The title, "The Power of the Dog" comes from the Psalms: Save my soul from the sword, my love from the power of the dog. And Don Winslow's masterpiece is not only a page-turning thriller but also a rich and compelling novel about a very mixed group of characters, each in his or her own way seeking some sort of salvation or redemption. The plot is essentially simple: how the US government and some of its quasi-autonomous agencies (CIA, FBI, DEA) all for their own reasons encouraged, sponsored and actively financed and helped the development of the drug cartels and their trade in Mexico. Groups of characters are - a young Chicano boy from the Barrio who makes good and becomes a Senator (and who is the target of an assassination plot that tops and tails the book); a morally troubled DEA boss who tries to do good, but who is driven by events and by a desire both for salvation and revenge to sleep with the devil; and the various gang leaders, some of them psychopathic, others urbane, civilised and deadly; a high-class prostitute; and a charismatic Catholic priest who is dedicated to the improvement of the lives of his people. Out of this simple material, Winslow has built a novel that works on so many levels and offers so many satisfactions it defies belief. Praise for Don Winslow: 'Don Winslow is the kind of cult writer who is so good you almost want to keep him to yourself, as if letting everyone in on the secret will somehow dilute the pleasure. So gulp down this book, tell all your friends, and remember - you heard it here first!' - Ian Rankin. 'The Death and Life of Bobby Z. It has whiplash speed, deliciously sleazoid characters and a major altitude problem. What a blast!' - Carl Hiaasen.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:49 -0400)

The Power of the Dog takes you deep inside a world riddled with corruption, betrayal, and bloody revenge. Art Montana is an obsessive DEA agent. The Barrera brothers are heirs to a drug empire. Nora Hayden is a jaded teenager who becomes a high-class hooker. Father Parada is a powerful and uncorruptable Catholic priest. Callan is an Irish kid from Hell's kitchen who grows up to be a merciless hitman. And they are all trapped in the world of the Mexican drug Federacion . This is the war on drugs like you've never seen it.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,886,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible